Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some that experience failure to extract.  I had two in yesterday's match and 4 in today's match.  So that is 6 in 400 rounds.  Different magazines.  I have been shooting Walther PPQs for years and never experienced this before.

I have tried the stronger extractor spring available from Keith White, still had some failures.  Put the factory spring back in.

Does anyone know of a sure fix for this?  If not I need to send my SF back to Walther.  Trouble is I know they won't be able to reproduce the FTE as it is so sporadic.

6 minutes ago, PokerNGuns said:

Change guide rod, recoil spring and keep it oiled. Take apart your factory recoil setup per manual and you’ll  see how massive it is compared to standard factory guns.

I can just change out my guide rod and recoil spring from a poly PPQ?  Is that what you are saying?  Or just go to a lighter recoil spring?  If so, what spring?

How does this affect FTEs (failure to extract)?

I’d change whole system like others in this thread. Springco or ZR with 13lb is pretty popular. My theory is the gun is sprung for 124gr hot NATO rounds. Take it apart and you’ll see. I was like you shot PPQ in competition since 2017 and never a issue. Shot the SF since January, gun went back to Walther but was never reliable until i made a custom guide rod because after market wasn’t there yet. This is just what worked for me and others in IDPA/USPSA

poly system won’t work. Take down lever in SF requires about an1/8” hole in back. 

Edited by PokerNGuns

Thanks all for the feedback on the failures to extract.  After all considerations, I called Alan at Sprinco.  I told him about my FTEs and that my PF shooting Lawman 124's out of a 5" Walther ranged from 34 to 41, with an average of 38.

He advised me that his guide rod with the yellow spring set (#19172) should fix that.  I asked about a different striker spring to match and was told a change wasn't needed with the yellow spring.

I also added his trigger spring kit (#87888) to try out.

I may have these before the weekend.  If so, I will report back after shooting Sat and Sun.

1 minute ago, ABQautoxer said:

I have that sprinco setup, it was worse for me than the OE setup for FTE. I'd gladly sell it for a major loss since I'm never putting it back in. I bought the ZR guide rod and plan to go that route instead.

Did you install with the yellow spring?

Did you check back with Alan to see if he recommended something different?

Did you try another spring?

20 hours ago, BartCarter said:

Did you install with the yellow spring?

Did you check back with Alan to see if he recommended something different?

Did you try another spring?

Yes on the yellow spring. I went thru a 3rd party, took a long time to get a reply and the answer was basically either it didnt fit due to the bore differences (which doesnt appear to be my case) or my pistol needs to go back to Walther. I opted to move on.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:46 PM, BartCarter said:

... my PF shooting Lawman 124's out of a 5" Walther ranged from 34 to 41, with an average of 38...Installed Sprinco guide rod with the yellow spring set (#19172)...

I didn't clean my SF from the weekend, just a little oil.  Put in the guide rod kit with yellow spring.  So 400 rounds and out to the desert.  Shot 200 rounds without one FTE.  Could not tell a difference from stock as far as shooting.  So far so good.

Went home, cleaned, lubed and put in the trigger springs.  Two matches scheduled for the weekend.

For what ever it is worth!! I put in the Springco trigger and safety spring. A 12# Glock recoil spring with the small end opened up to fit the standard guide rod. And have shot minor loads with no problems. (124 gr 3.6 titegroup)   The gun shoots great, easy to rack, and light recoil. JD      Note: I have done this to several of my friends SFs with the same results.

Edited by JDIllon

Really guys. What works 100% without screwing with captured guiderods, or "opening" Glock springs, is the ZR guiderod (now available with the SF "hole" already drilled) and a 13# Wilson 5" 1911 flatwire spring. AND the two Sprinco trigger and striker safety springs. No muss, no fuss. My SF has run 1500 absolutely malfunction free 130-135 PF handloads using that setup since NEW. I know that's not a lot of rounds in the big scheme of things but I haven't had the gun that long and I've been primarily shooting IDPA CO since then with my optic 1911. Now it's time to play only USPSA CO until spring and my SF as configured (plus a LOK thin grip) is rockin' ready to roll.

Try it. You'll like it. Others have. Promise.

Edited by jdlincoln

1 hour ago, jdlincoln said:

Really guys. What works 100% without screwing with captured guiderods, or "opening" Glock springs, is the ZR guiderod (now available with the SF "hole" already drilled) and a 13# Wilson 5" 1911 flatwire spring. 

$44 for an uncaptured guide rod and a replacement spring when you can just by a single spring and spend 10 seconds opening one end, no thanks. 

16 minutes ago, bwikel said:

$44 for an uncaptured guide rod and a replacement spring when you can just by a single spring and spend 10 seconds opening one end, no thanks. 

I'm glad your solution has worked for you. It hasn't for others.

• 1 month later...

No, it is stock.

IMO, the extended is really long for any IDPA/USPSA action.  And I would bet your hold would activate it dropping the mag!  That's why I opted for relieving the grips.  Did a lot of mag change drills today and I'm real happy with the result.

Edited by WxGuy

3 minutes ago, WxGuy said:

No, it is stock.

The extended is really long for any IDPA action.  And I would bet your hold would activate it dropping the mag!  That's why I opted for relieving the grips.  Did a lot of mag change drills today and I'm real happy with the result.

Thanks I was actually thinking of filing down the stock Grips .   Did you just use a hand file or Drexel?