Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man,  it would be really disappointing if it does eliminate the trigger safety.   Im hoping these pics/vids are of prototypes and not the final product.

I like my plastic Q5 but am in the verge of ordering the SF.  This trigger could put me over the edge.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, threat said:

Has anyone shot the Q5 Match next to the Q5 SF that can give us an idea of how the recoil impulses compare? I have a sneaking suspecion that polymer guns absorb recoil pretty well and wanted to compare that to the steel gun.

(Note: I'm aware people that are sponsored by Walther say the SF gun is "so much flatter and faster", however I wan't an unbiased subjective option" 

There is definitely a recoil difference between the Q5 SF and the poly. SF is definitely flatter. I am not sponsored by Walther and I have the credit card bills to prove it. 😉

I have been shooting Cajunized CZ Shadow 2s, prior to making the shift to Walther, for CO. I think the Shadow 2 feels a bit tighter. However, the Walther SF is giving me tight groupings.  The attached photo is 32 rounds doubles drill, from 15 yds. I'm using factory setup on both Q5 SF and poly, DeltaPoint Pro 2.5 MOA on both.

MVIMG_20190302_124714-756x1008.jpg

On 3/9/2019 at 12:43 PM, BritinUSA said:

Just asked that question on Instagram… I can't see a safety mechanism on there at all, there is a short video on IG showing it work, similar reset to the Apex.

If it has no safety on the trigger then its not legal for USPSA/IPSC… I'm wondering if its a pre-production prototype they are showing.

If that were true nobody would be able to use the P320 platform in USPSA or IPSC. No trigger dingus isn't against the rules

If that were true nobody would be able to use the P320 platform in USPSA or IPSC. No trigger dingus isn't against the rules

I'm curious, have you read the rules? The rules state all factory safety mechanisms must remain intact. The Q5 comes with a trigger safety, adding a trigger without one does not comply with the rules. The P320 doesn't come with a trigger safety, adding a trigger without one complies with the rules.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jmtyndall said:

I'm curious, have you read the rules? The rules state all factory safety mechanisms must remain intact. The Q5 comes with a trigger safety, adding a trigger without one does not comply with the rules. The P320 doesn't come with a trigger safety, adding a trigger without one complies with the rules.

I stand corrected, my apologies. Surely Walther knows that though, and has designed this trigger with it in mind, yes...?

EDIT; Additional question - Does USPSA/IPSC recognize a trigger dingus as a "safety", or is the rule more in regard to the internal mechanisms of the pistol?

Edited by Rudukai13

On 3/9/2019 at 1:09 AM, thx1138jt said:

Where is a good place to buy mags?  And good +0 base pads?

CDNN seams to be about the cheapest right now, although, I think the price just went up from $29.99 the other day.

Taylor Freelance makes excellent base pads. I also like the UTG +0, and you can find those cheap on Amazon sometimes. I recently picked up some black and some blue ones for less than $9 each as "add-on" items.

While I like the UTG a lot, they're made in the US, and I think the quality is excellent, for full price I would stick with the TF.

I stand corrected, my apologies. Surely Walther knows that though, and has designed this trigger with it in mind, yes...?

I would hope so. Trigger safeties are very simple in design so maybe they will integrate it later, or offer two versions? Maybe there can be a later rules clarification that allows deleted safeties if the part is factory provided.

EDIT; Additional question - Does USPSA/IPSC recognize a trigger dingus as a "safety", or is the rule more in regard to the internal mechanisms of the pistol?

Most manufacturers call it a safety. I'm not sure if Walther does or not, but I think it would be an uphill battle to argue it isn't one.

Anyways it seems like everything about this gun was designed for USPSA so it seems odd that they would design the safety without considering that.

2 hours ago, jmtyndall said:

I would hope so. Trigger safeties are very simple in design so maybe they will integrate it later

It looks to me like it’s potentially there now: I think the trigger may hinge at the top and deactivate a stop when it’s pulled.

Just like an M&P.

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It looks to me like it’s potentially there now: I think the trigger may hinge at the top and deactivate a stop when it’s pulled.

Just like an M&P.

It sort of seems like it.  I keep watching it and sometimes I think it moves and the sometimes I think it doesn't.  VERY hard to tell in the 2 videos.  I can't imaging they would not have thought of that.  

And prob should be available Fall of 2020....

Edited by echotango

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Just like an M&P.

This. It seems people aren't looking quite closely enough. The trigger does indeed have a pivot point at top to bring it within compliance (walther people feel free to confirm)

If the videos are any indication of how clean the trigger is, Walther just flipped the script on the Production/ Carry Optics divsions. The triggers look so good that there is now a solid case to be made for the PPQ trigger overtaking the CZ or Tanfo DA/SA trigger as THE competitive advantage when it comes to triggers.

I have a Steel frame gun on order already and as soon as they will let me the Expert trigger is going into it.

2 minutes ago, threat said:

This. It seems people aren't looking quite closely enough. The trigger does indeed have a pivot point at top to bring it within compliance (walther people feel free to confirm)

If the videos are any indication of how clean the trigger is, Walther just flipped the script on the Production/ Carry Optics divsions. The triggers look so good that there is now a solid case to be made for the PPQ trigger overtaking the CZ or Tanfo DA/SA trigger as THE competitive advantage when it comes to triggers.

I have a Steel frame gun on order already and as soon as they will let me the Expert trigger is going into it.

Doesn't look like it moves.  Looks to be where to change the trigger shoe size/shape.  If you look closely, the top part moves as soon at the bottom moves.  unless you are seeing a different video. 

Edited by echotango

When is the expert trigger going to be released? I just sent my steel frame in for factory repair because mine was full of grit and creep. It also felt worse than several M1 and P99 triggers that I have tried. I just got it back and it is marginally better than before.

My TP9 SFx, with just a Freedomsmith trigger shoe, is several levels better.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, thx1138jt said:

Interested in the new trigger as well. I just got a SF and shot a match last night. Couple times shooting weak hand only trigger won’t move. Now a lot of that is my grip but it is annoying nonetheless. 

I filed the corner off the safety a little.  This fixed the issue with the trigger springs installed.  Still works as a safety but clears the frame sooner. 

I filed the corner off the safety a little.  This fixed the issue with the trigger springs installed.  Still works as a safety but clears the frame sooner. 
Did you have to pull the trigger bar out to do that?

Sprinco spring kit eliminated grit from the striker block.  Had to adjust trigger drop safety to function properly regardless of springs.  Little polish on the trigger bar, now is about 3lb 12oz, fairly crisp.  Changed to SSGR and 13# wilson 1911 spring to get the bounce out of the recoil, shooting 135 PF loads.   Reduced trigger finger area of grip on either side to get a little more reach..  Now, gives my Shadow Custom SP-01 a real run for the money, kind of like the striker trigger better, and no DA/SA.  Slo-Mo recoil no different between the two.

Sprinco spring kit eliminated grit from the striker block.  Had to adjust trigger drop safety to function properly regardless of springs.  Little polish on the trigger bar, now is about 3lb 12oz, fairly crisp.  Changed to SSGR and 13# wilson 1911 spring to get the bounce out of the recoil, shooting 135 PF loads.  

Could you clarify what you mean by adjusting the drop safety?

Doesn't the Springco Spring kit make the trigger more finicky?

Did you notch a little hole in your guide rod?