Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Walther new steel frame competition Q5

mikeAZ

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, some updates. Gun went back to Walther. Impressive turn around, they got it back to me in within a week! Changed the barrel and bent extractor but nothing for the mag/magwell fitting issue. So I called in to ask. The service guy said that the engineering in Germany is aware of the issue. It's a manufacturing issue and they are looking on how to solve it...  so my updated plastic guides are back in...

Thanks for the update. I've got two SFs now (traded for the second one) and both have extraction issues. One is worse than the other. I'm going to send both back to Walther and see what happens. I've already changed guiderods and springs, but it didn't fix the issue.

Guess we'll see. If sending the guns back to Walther for repairs doesn't work, I will have The CZ Shadow 2s milled for an optic and sell the SFs to a gunsmith. Maybe he/she can fix it.

I’ve got 3000 rounds through my SF without any more FTextract/eject jams since I tweaked my extractor.  Still would like deeper mag guides.  Had one jam on loading from slide lock other day in a match due to that, round was in spec and loaded fine on testing after.   

On 5/2/2019 at 1:56 AM, JL175 said:

Thanks for the update. I've got two SFs now (traded for the second one) and both have extraction issues. One is worse than the other. I'm going to send both back to Walther and see what happens. I've already changed guiderods and springs, but it didn't fix the issue.

Guess we'll see. If sending the guns back to Walther for repairs doesn't work, I will have The CZ Shadow 2s milled for an optic and sell the SFs to a gunsmith. Maybe he/she can fix it.

haha, let me know if you want to sell the SF....LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all - 

Just picked up a SF and saw the numerous questions/comments about the lighter recoil spring.  I was busy harassing machinist friends to drill a hole for the slide lock nipple when I came across this:  https://shop.waltherarms.com/q5-sf-55-threaded-barrel-12x28

I didn't want the threaded barrel (some might) but a reduced recoil assembly for the SF piqued my interest.  

So, I called Walther today to see if they could tell me anything about it.  I wanted to know:

1) If the recoil assembly is available by it self >>> it IS

2) What the reduced recoil spring weight is >>>  They said it was 48 newtons...and we can see earlier in this thread that they claim the factory one is 50 newtons.  The conversion is off (as also noted) but it should be lighter which should help.  

3) How much it is >>> $24.99 plus shipping.  I figured it was worth trying.  

So, FYI - you may want to try this less expensive option instead of machining an existing guide rod and trying springs. 

55 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

Hi all - 

Just picked up a SF and saw the numerous questions/comments about the lighter recoil spring.  I was busy harassing machinist friends to drill a hole for the slide lock nipple when I came across this:  https://shop.waltherarms.com/q5-sf-55-threaded-barrel-12x28

I ordered a wolff 13 lb. glock spring, removed the OEM flat wire spring and replace it with the glock spring and put the retainer clip back on the stock guide rod. It was a pretty cheap solution for less than $8. No issues yet running 130ish PF loads. 

29 minutes ago, bwikel said:

I ordered a wolff 13 lb. glock spring, removed the OEM flat wire spring and replace it with the glock spring and put the retainer clip back on the stock guide rod. It was a pretty cheap solution for less than $8. No issues yet running 130ish PF loads. 

I just tried my wolff glock recoil springs and they are too small.  Can you share a link to what you purchased?

23 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

I just tried my wolff glock recoil springs and they are too small.  Can you share a link to what you purchased?

Here is the link to the exact spring I ordered. It is tapered on the last coil of one end but nothing needle nose pliers won't fix quickly. 

https://www.gunsprings.com/index.php?page=item_details&iID=3248&dID=116&pID=109

I called Walther and they sent me red spring vs the unpainted spring that was in the gun at no cost (would have been $32 if they had charged me). The gun feels normal to rack now, vs. before when it felt unusually difficult to rack compared to my other pistols. I haven't yet shot it to see if it clears up my stove pipes I was having with my 130 PF ammo. I am happy with my Walther customer support so far, although I wish I could just buy an uncaptured guide rod so I could use a spring of my choice. 

On 5/16/2019 at 11:38 PM, crmcdm said:

Thanks for the link; I'll give it a try. Been having a few  FTextract+eject issues too.

FYI for anyone interested in buying this spring, they are on back order from Wolff. I bought a 12, 13, & 14lb spring but only got the 12lb today with a notice that the 13 & 14 are back ordered for 4-8 weeks. ☹️

Let us know how the 12lbs  works!  My LGS has a SF in stock and I'm watching the different forums for certain fix actions, extractor tension modifications, recoil spring tension, and wiggly mags.  All my CZs have lower tension recoil springs and run just fine.

On 5/19/2019 at 7:24 AM, WxGuy said:

Let us know how the 12lbs  works!  My LGS has a SF in stock and I'm watching the different forums for certain fix actions, extractor tension modifications, recoil spring tension, and wiggly mags.  All my CZs have lower tension recoil springs and run just fine.

13lbs seems like what everyone is running successfully.  I'll give the 12lbs a shot this week if I get a chance though.  I've run lighter recoil springs in my Glock 17 & CZs and have never had much of an issue either.

How far the cases are falling from your Q5 SF? For me, the spread is from 1 to 3 feet. It looks like weak ejection when I compare it to my other pistols. I'm using reloaded ammo 150gr, avg factor 134. And from time to time it - probably - causes intermittent stove pipes. Q5 SF is stock.  

On 5/2/2019 at 12:56 AM, JL175 said:

Try a different kind of brass. Sounds a little weird but let me give you a case and point. My brass is sorted by head stamp. I used to use only Blazer head stamped brass. Got a Cajunized Shadow 2 milled for DPP about two months ago. It had issues ejecting brass one out of every 100. Thought hmm, just randomly tried a different head stamped brass. No issues. I don't even have issues with most types of brass. Something about Blazer though. So I just avoid blazer brass for the Shadow 2.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:14 AM, uhmeebuh said:

I came across this:  https://shop.waltherarms.com/q5-sf-55-threaded-barrel-12x28

I didn't want the threaded barrel (some might) but a reduced recoil assembly for the SF piqued my interest. 

I'm thinking about getting both and building an open gun for USPSA and 3-gun. Anyone else considered this? (steel frame, striker fired open gun)

The downside is I'd have to buy another gun to do it. I called Walther and they don't plan on selling uppers only (like Glock does). It would be a lot cheaper if I could make a separate open upper and just slap it one when I want to run open.

Edited by telligentgunner

On 5/23/2019 at 4:12 PM, telligentgunner said:

I'm thinking about getting both and building an open gun for USPSA and 3-gun. Anyone else considered this? (steel frame, striker fired open gun)

The downside is I'd have to buy another gun to do it. I called Walther and they don't plan on selling uppers only (like Glock does). It would be a lot cheaper if I could make a separate open upper and just slap it one when I want to run open.

Not sure that spring I posted is any lighter...despite walther saying it is (and, as mentioned, they don’t seem to be concerting newtons to pounds very well). 

I have the lighter spring from bwikel (thanks!) on its way to compare.  

Also, I have extra lighter trigger springs that I will ship/mail to anyone who wants one for a couple bucks plus shipping.  

I got got the amazon ones from the lanzer recommendation: https://www.google.com/amp/s/lanzerbot.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/ppq-trigger-mod-to-3-5-pound/amp/

It did seem the SF has a stronger trigger spring than my other PPQs...but it might have just been new.  

On 5/23/2019 at 4:12 PM, telligentgunner said:

Maybe for 3 gun. However, I doubt that the gun could handle 9 major ammo. And bad idea to shoot minor ammo for USPSA open division.