Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot on S&W 929

TFT_Guns_Up

1 hour ago, TFT_Guns_Up said:

Ok. For the 6 MOA guys, what distances do you shoot? 

Do you guys shoot USPSA, Icore, Falling Steel, Steel Challenge?

Icore with a slide ride on its side, 4moa.

Steel with an rts2 6moa.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:09 PM, TFT_Guns_Up said:

So I’ve got my 929 up and running, the sights are great and TK did a hell of a job on the gun

I’m thinking about putting a Red Dot Sight on it, not sure which sight or what mount to use. Thanks in Advance 

Check out this thread for a couple of mount pictures:  https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/265987-burris-fast-fire-3-on-a-sw-627/

I test a Holosun 507C on my 8 shot for steel challenge.  All worked well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 6:07 PM, TFT_Guns_Up said:

Ok. For the 6 MOA guys, what distances do you shoot? 

Do you guys shoot USPSA, Icore, Falling Steel, Steel Challenge?

I myself prefer an 8 MOA dot for ICORE, USPSA, & Steel. None of these require such precision that a smaller dot would be needed. The distances are all under 35 yards for the most part (ICORE occasionally has 50 yard paper) In these games I personally feel you need to choose a dot size you can pick up on instantly to know your on target and confident to make the shot without hesitation. For me I like the 8 MOA for that. Also the 8 MOA provides a nice less washed out dot in very bright conditions. 

On 12/22/2018 at 11:09 PM, TFT_Guns_Up said:

So I’ve got my 929 up and running, the sights are great and TK did a hell of a job on the gun

I’m thinking about putting a Red Dot Sight on it, not sure which sight or what mount to use. Thanks in Advance 

I suggest the full size Classic C-More with the Alchin Mount. Its versatile with several dot sizes to choose from that can be can changed without buying an entirely new sight. The diode emmitters are $50 and takes less than 5 mins to change without dismounting the sight. Gives you options to try different sizes to determine whats best for you without busting the bank. You can buy the C-more classic, an Alchin Mount, and a 2nd diode for around $330 of which is cheaper than an RTS2. In comparison to the smaller dots Ive tried I always go back to the C-more classic as I feel it gives me more peripheral vision for transitions and my times and hits are better. Also the design is proven and durable. Ive had the mini dots fail and intermittently turn on and off from the "smaller" less robust circuitry getting jarred. Hard to beat a c-more classic for a reliable sight!   

• 4 weeks later...

If you use a DPP it will work with a JPoint Adapter, which sits a hair lower than the Alchin.

On my 627 I've used the JPoint Adapter with a JPoint Dot and it was a very low sitting combo, I scratched up the lens a bit so I switched to a Vortex Venom on an Alchin Adapter.  It sits higher but has a good lens.  I'll be putting some time on that combo this spring.  The JPoint Adaptor with a DPP sits higher than the Venom on the Alchin though.

• 3 weeks later...

+ another one for Allchin mounts!

I run mine with a Sig Romeo 3 dot. 3 min. dot, great visibility, great battery life.

etc, etc, etc

might start finding the R3 a bit less expensive now that the new one is coming out?

1 hour ago, BadShot said:

I noticed at the Western State Revolver shoot there were 5 guys shooting open minor.  I wonder if this a test to see if there is any interest...

There is a large ICORE presence there and since it is Revolver only an ICORE open gun would only be competing against another.  So in a Revo only match it can be done at anytime.

On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, BadShot said:

I noticed at the Western State Revolver shoot there were 5 guys shooting open minor.  I wonder if this a test to see if there is any interest...

They said at the awards since it was a level 1 match anyway they decided this year to make it an "Outlaw"  match to see if they could get some more participation by opening it up to the ICORE guys and others.   

9 hours ago, Intel6 said:

They said at the awards since it was a level 1 match anyway they decided this year to make it an "Outlaw"  match to see if they could get some more participation by opening it up to the ICORE guys and others.   

I think for a Revolver Only Match it's a good idea.