Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

Alright alright! Finally got to shoot this thing. I would have been extremely pissed if I hadn’t already seen and read to run a bunch of rounds through the thing right off the bat. Extremely happy now!

It will only get better!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, IntenseImage said:

It will only get better!

From beginning to end was a complete transformation. I noticed lots of black specs inside the raceway for the bolt carrier. Assuming that’s the poor finish on the inside coming off. I assume that’s why it needs the break in. I can resolve that. Just need to get that comp to stay put. 

From beginning to end was a complete transformation. I noticed lots of black specs inside the raceway for the bolt carrier. Assuming that’s the poor finish on the inside coming off. I assume that’s why it needs the break in. I can resolve that. Just need to get that comp to stay put. 
TAF spec and/or some blue loctite

I do want to cover the gas block area though. The handguard gets really hot and the gas vents out right there. Too tight for an internal baffle though
Thermal wrap or modified mlok panels are the ways to go right now

I guess you can loctite it on as you can technically clean the gas piston through the hand guard. Typically i throw my gas parts in the sonic cleaner after a match but this guy may just need to be different 

2 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

Thermal wrap or modified mlok panels are the ways to go right now

I’m wondering if the longer handguard is wider than the stock one. There’s no room inside the original

1 hour ago, IntenseImage said:

It will only get better!

Yes, mine seems to get better the more I shoot it. I ran about 70 old corroded high base 6's through it and had a few that didn't eject and one jam that locked everything up to where I could hardly get the mag out. So for right out of the box with less than stellar ammo I was optimistic. Then I ran 10rds of 3" #2's, had one jam and my shoulder had had enough. Took it home swapped out the stock with a magpul and JP grip, mounted a dot on it. Cleaned it real good, put in the light load gas piston. Went to the range today and it ran two boxes of Walmart Fed. bulk pack stuff at 1200 fps through it with no issues using both the 5 & 9 round mags. My 19 rounders and a muzzle break are on order. Let the fun begin!

2 minutes ago, IHMSA15151 said:

Yes, mine seems to get better the more I shoot it. I ran about 70 old corroded high base 6's through it and had a few that didn't eject and one jam that locked everything up to where I could hardly get the mag out. So for right out of the box with less than stellar ammo I was optimistic. Then I ran 10rds of 3" #2's, had one jam and my shoulder had had enough. Took it home swapped out the stock with a magpul and JP grip, mounted a dot on it. Cleaned it real good, put in the light load gas piston. Went to the range today and it ran two boxes of Walmart Fed. bulk pack stuff at 1200 fps through it with no issues using both the 5 & 9 round mags. My 19 rounders and a muzzle break are on order. Let the fun begin!

Welcome to the club!

Anyone with the 19’s have an issue getting shells past the “clamp”? Mine get to 12 rounds and stop. I was just going to push something through to bounce the spring and lifter back and forth. Try to smooth out whatever is catching

Anyone with the 19’s have an issue getting shells past the “clamp”? Mine get to 12 rounds and stop. I was just going to push something through to bounce the spring and lifter back and forth. Try to smooth out whatever is catching
You can try to loosen the clamps and realign the mags of it's sticking that bad

I used my 2011 mag tool to widen the mag. Worked after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering why the long handguard on advanced tactical say it doesn’t leave room for the comp? Maybe this only applies if you did not cut down the barrel shroud. The one with “holes” instead of “slots” looks like it may block the gassing through the handguard. Anyone have one of these yet?

Last one...tooth and nail have drop in triggers listed at 4-5 lbs. do you think it’s really just the jp spring kits and not so much the rest? Personally mine feels pretty smooth just heavy as hell...

19 minutes ago, WWG1WGA said:

Last one...tooth and nail have drop in triggers listed at 4-5 lbs. do you think it’s really just the jp spring kits and not so much the rest? Personally mine feels pretty smooth just heavy as hell...

Their website says it includes "hammer, trigger and disconnector" and that everything is USA made. That would lead me to believe they are aftermarket parts not just some springs on RIA triggers. I have never dealt with them so I don't know if they push the limits of advertising or not.

Wondering why the long handguard on advanced tactical say it doesn’t leave room for the comp? Maybe this only applies if you did not cut down the barrel shroud. The one with “holes” instead of “slots” looks like it may block the gassing through the handguard. Anyone have one of these yet?

The shroud is your handguard nut. It’s uses the threads. fc1337e59b5cdc05a4bcad124afd9650.jpg

6 hours ago, reballz said:

The shroud is your handguard nut. It’s uses the threads. fc1337e59b5cdc05a4bcad124afd9650.jpg

I cut the end of my shroud so I could still use it as the nut but still use the comp. so with a longer hand guard I should still be able to use my shroud. I’m assuming that they mean you can’t use the small nut without the shroud because there would be no way to tighten the nut as it’s down inside the long handguard right?

I cut the end of my shroud so I could still use it as the nut but still use the comp. so with a longer hand guard I should still be able to use my shroud. I’m assuming that they mean you can’t use the small nut without the shroud because there would be no way to tighten the nut as it’s down inside the long handguard right?
This shroud uses the threads at the end of the barrel not in the middle of the barrel like the stock shroud

53 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

This shroud uses the threads at the end of the barrel not in the middle of the barrel like the stock shroud

Oh...that’s a different story then. Thanks

On 5/4/2019 at 1:17 PM, WWG1WGA said:

Ok so the factory tube is about three turns shorter than a milspec carbine tube. Maybe this is why taccom recommends changing it out. That’s about 3/16”

I struggled to get my bolt to lock back in stock form.  Ended up unscrewing the buffer tube a couple turns and it was a night and day difference.  Might help your cause too.

I would like to get some feedback from anyone who has replaced the stock buffer tube, buffer & spring. I went to the range today and did some more shooting at various types of targets to get use to using a dot sight on a shotgun. Up until this point I have always had some type of front bead. Anyway, the gun ran great with the mild ammo and wasn't all that unpleasant to shoot. When I got home my Taccom buffer, milspec tube and spring were waiting for me. I'm wondering if I should just leave it stock or go ahead and swap everything out. It seems some folks have had issues after this upgrade. Would like to hear everyone's experiences. Thanks, Steve

I would like to get some feedback from anyone who has replaced the stock buffer tube, buffer & spring. I went to the range today and did some more shooting at various types of targets to get use to using a dot sight on a shotgun. Up until this point I have always had some type of front bead. Anyway, the gun ran great with the mild ammo and wasn't all that unpleasant to shoot. When I got home my Taccom buffer, milspec tube and spring were waiting for me. I'm wondering if I should just leave it stock or go ahead and swap everything out. It seems some folks have had issues after this upgrade. Would like to hear everyone's experiences. Thanks, Steve
Swap it, cut 6 coils from the new carbine spring and give it a run. If you have issues, try backing the buffer tube out 1 full turn and try again