Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

So I pulled the gas system apart to clean and then replace the gas piston to try some lighter loads. When I looked at the exploded parts diagram to make sure I had things correct, I noticed the drawing shows a sealing ring and a gas block o-ring. My gun didn't have either of these parts. So is there a design change or did mine come missing parts?

It actually functioned pretty well for the first run. I was using Win. Super-X high base 6's and only had a few issues. After about 75 rds it was running great with the 5 & 9 rd. mags.

Edited by IHMSA15151

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, IHMSA15151 said:

So I pulled the gas system apart to clean and then replace the gas piston to try some lighter loads. When I looked at the exploded parts diagram to make sure I had things correct, I noticed the drawing shows a sealing ring and a gas block o-ring. My gun didn't have either of these parts. So is there a design change or did mine come missing parts?

It actually functioned pretty well for the first run. I was using Win. Super-X high base 6's and only had a few issues. After about 75 rds it was running great with the 5 & 9 rd. mags.

The owners manual diagram is wrong, the pistons are different from the one pictured in the manual.

I have a VR80 with in excess of 1,000 rounds through it. Magazines for the VR60 and the VR80 are identical. The buffer system is carbine length (commercial) but can be converted to mil-spec. The buffer is proprietary, and is not interchangeable with other buffers. The VR80 buffer has a portion of the buffer that extends into the rear housing so it will remain in contact with the bolt carrier. Installing a aftermarket buffer will leave a gap between the bolt carrier and cause the carrier to hammer the buffer until it fails. I contacted Advanced Tactical and suggested more buffer options and they liked the idea and stated they would forward the request.

IMG_0768.JPG

I have a VR80 with in excess of 1,000 rounds through it. Magazines for the VR60 and the VR80 are identical. The buffer system is carbine length (commercial) but can be converted to mil-spec. The buffer is proprietary, and is not interchangeable with other buffers. The VR80 buffer has a portion of the buffer that extends into the rear housing so it will remain in contact with the bolt carrier. Installing a aftermarket buffer will leave a gap between the bolt carrier and cause the carrier to hammer the buffer until it fails. I contacted Advanced Tactical and suggested more buffer options and they liked the idea and stated they would forward the request.
IMG_0768.thumb.JPG.dee2e82b7a38e9fdd30202dd561df872.JPG

Have you looked at the Taccom Vr80 Recoil system?
https://taccom3g.com/product/vr80-recoil-buffer/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else with the taccom buffer using the carbine spring find it incredibly hard to lock the bolt open by hand? I can tell it’s the secondary little spring in the buffer doing this. Does this lighten up the more you use it or is this just what it is?

1 hour ago, WWG1WGA said:

Anyone else with the taccom buffer using the carbine spring find it incredibly hard to lock the bolt open by hand? I can tell it’s the secondary little spring in the buffer doing this. Does this lighten up the more you use it or is this just what it is?

Did u cut the 6 coils off like the instructions said ?

Yeah. Made sure the original end mated to the buffer properly. When you pull back you can feel the carbine spring compress and that feels normal. To lock it back though you really have to lean on the charging handle and you can feel the difference in spring rates so I know I’m now compressing the small spring. Taccom instructions recommend switching to a milspec tube as well though they say the factory tube will also work. I know milspec vs commercial tubes are different diameters but never needed to question the length. Original also has the different end cap that is threaded for the factory stock to mount...wondering if that end cap is thicker to allow the stock to thread into it. I guess I’ll go pull a tube off another rifle to compare. That will get me wondering about a rifle length tube and spring though...

Swapped the tubes...it’s a little better. Swapped the buffer and spring back to factory...better yet. Now realized that the bolt release takes a small hammer to actually release the bolt on lock back with either spring. Screw it! Taking parts to the range tomorrow and just dumping ammo down the thing. Will see what works, what doesn’t, and if I’m shooting it at the match next week.

On 5/2/2019 at 9:20 PM, Underwood said:

Shout out to Benny Hill and  Timothy Ubl
My VR80 runs great..
Triangle Shooting Sports for the trigger work,porting the barrel and modifying the gas system.
Taccom, LLC for the VR80 recoil system.
Anybody on the fence about this product..it flat out works.. runs 1145 fps shells smooth and fast !!!!

Tell me more about this trigger work you speak of. 

7 minutes ago, Underwood said:

Benny Hill changed a spring and polished the trigger parts

I could use that, can you provide contact info?

Just got my Taccom buffer in the mail today and the new tube and spring should arrive  Monday. 

1 hour ago, IntenseImage said:

Got to use my Tooth and Nail 28rd mag today ... Very happy to have this in the collection. Will post the full match video tomorrow once everyone finished shooting

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I still stand by the idea that you are literally the only person to receive anything from tooth. They simply stopped responding to my emails or voicemails. 

I still stand by the idea that you are literally the only person to receive anything from tooth. They simply stopped responding to my emails or voicemails. 
And I've been chatting w them all evening lol

I watched the video a couple of times, but I couldn’t see the spinner when you were shooting.

With proper shot placement, and timing, it SHOULD only take 3 shots, even with 1145fps, but, I’ve seen shooters empty their guns, shooting turkey loads

I watched the video a couple of times, but I couldn’t see the spinner when you were shooting.
With proper shot placement, and timing, it SHOULD only take 3 shots, even with 1145fps, but, I’ve seen shooters empty their guns, shooting turkey loads
Yea 3 is about right. I had some marginal hits so took 2 extra to make sure it drove over on both. The first one I shot with just 1200s then tried the hot stuff on the other to see what would happen.

Alright alright! Finally got to shoot this thing. I would have been extremely pissed if I hadn’t already seen and read to run a bunch of rounds through the thing right off the bat. First box of shells, fte every time. Kept loading more and of different brands/velocities. The taccom buffer wouldn’t work right off the bat so had to put the stock one back in. After about 100-150 rounds it was running like a top. Occasional failure to feed but I think the mags need to break in too. Got rained out a bit early but I threw the taccom buffer back in inside the truck and loaded up a full mag. Jumped out in the rain and did a mag dump no problem and the bolt finally locked back with that buffer! Extremely happy now!