Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

35 minutes ago, IHMSA15151 said:

I would like to get some feedback from anyone who has replaced the stock buffer tube, buffer & spring. I went to the range today and did some more shooting at various types of targets to get use to using a dot sight on a shotgun. Up until this point I have always had some type of front bead. Anyway, the gun ran great with the mild ammo and wasn't all that unpleasant to shoot. When I got home my Taccom buffer, milspec tube and spring were waiting for me. I'm wondering if I should just leave it stock or go ahead and swap everything out. It seems some folks have had issues after this upgrade. Would like to hear everyone's experiences. Thanks, Steve

Here’s my two cents. I started with the taccom buffer and the cut spring. Failure to eject, over and over and over. I put the stock buffer and spring break in and kept having problems until I found what I thought was the ammo that the gun liked. It got better. I could tell an obvious difference between the two buffer setups though. The factory setup isn’t bad at all. Ben considering how fast and how many shells you can run through in a given time frame. But...the taccom is just so much softer.  Back to the “ammo it liked” ...it wasn’t the ammo after all. It was the round count. By the end of my time shooting, I went back to burn off three more boxes of the Winchester bulk junk that we all end up buying. The 1200 FPS crap...same stuff that wouldn’t run the gun more than one round at a time when I started. Burned through all of that with barely any problems. Bottom line, run the hell out of the gun and use the taccom combo. Imagine being the first person to own this gun and nobody to ask! Lol 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, busdriver said:

My shroud uses the same threads as the short nut.  I had planned to shorten the shroud, but the comp included the short nut.  Maybe they changed the shroud at some point...

I cut my shroud so it fits to the comp and transitions better. Apparently the long handguard comes with a new shroud that threads on the muzzle

6 hours ago, WWG1WGA said:

I cut my shroud so it fits to the comp and transitions better. Apparently the long handguard comes with a new shroud that threads on the muzzle

lets see pics... 

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Wait....you are supposed to cut coils off the stock buffer spring if you use the taccom buffer?

Cut coils off a carbine buffer spring. Or use the stock spring complete

If I would have known that the lock ring alone would not hold the comp still I would have cut the shroud longer and tossed the lock ring altogether...too late now. The lock ring is a little smaller than the comp and the shroud so you have to taper the end of the shroud or you have a big edge dropping down to the ring and then back up to the comp. comp and ring are close but not exactly the same. Once I refinish it you’ll never know the difference 

1 hour ago, WWG1WGA said:

Cut coils off a carbine buffer spring. Or use the stock spring complete

the stock spring is same length as carbine spring.. 

I cut 6 coils off the factory spring and installed taccom system.

had to rotate buffer tube  out till i was able to lock bolt back easily.  Now mine runs almost anything i feed it. 

1 hour ago, Underwood said:

had to rotate buffer tube  out till i was able to lock bolt back easily.  Now mine runs almost anything i feed it. 

Is there a way to check to make sure your bolt isn't hitting the back of the upper receiver? I called Taccom and they said there is supposed to be some added force when locking back.

1 hour ago, Underwood said:

My stock spring was quite longer than the carbine but it was less compression. And yes before I cut the carbine.  Wonder why they keep changing things on these?

On 5/5/2019 at 11:18 PM, WWG1WGA said:

Last one...tooth and nail have drop in triggers listed at 4-5 lbs. do you think it’s really just the jp spring kits and not so much the rest? Personally mine feels pretty smooth just heavy as hell...

Would like to hear if anything has that trigger and what their opinion was on it. The trigger on my gun is the heaviest I’ve ever pulled. 

Thinking about getting that trigger and just trying it out. 

17 minutes ago, PepperMD2001 said:

Would like to hear if anything has that trigger and what their opinion was on it. The trigger on my gun is the heaviest I’ve ever pulled. 

I ordered the spring kit for like $15. I think it said 4.5 lbs

25 minutes ago, PepperMD2001 said:

Psh. Notify me when theres a Calvin elite for the vr80 at 1.5 lbs

5 hours ago, reballz said:

What length did you cut your shroud to? Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut off .930”. That still left me a tiny gap so I could time the comp if I needed to. That is with using the locknut still. Off you ditch the locknut just add that back to it. To measure the cut I backed the choke out to be even with the shroud as it site inside a bit, screwed the choke on without the shroud and wrapped a piece of tape around the barrel, pulled the comp and measured from the choke to the edge of the tape. If you keep the locknut just screw that on too and do the tape there...

7 hours ago, Underwood said:

So side by side a brand new carbine spring was 3 coils shorter than the factory spring...at least mine is. So your six coils off the softer factory spring may balance out to the same thing as 6 off the stronger shorter carbine spring. I’m going to try my jp silent spring and see what happens. I have the whole spring pack that’s not being used besides the lightest one. See how that plays out...