Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 w/Glock Mags

xtian999

I would think the bigger problem would be the Glock mags are designed to go in at a different angle due to the more angled Glock grips. So nothing is going to line up right for a 1911/2011 even if you a cartridge that fits and tune them to perfection.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Glock mags suck!  

So does the cost of 2011 mags so,.....

Yup,

Glock mags are not the most reliable.

the reason glocks run is because all the tolerances are loose and they are over sprung.

Talk to anyone with an open Glock.

those things are not fun to get running well.

So, the thread is about a 1911 and glock mags, not striker-fired. The idea is to pair a nice 1911 type trigger with a reliable, readily available magazine. The Hudson is striker fired, so it is out. Not everybody wants to pay 2-3K for a pistol and then $100 and up for each mag, even if they can afford it. 

Edited by xtian999
concise

The other way to skin this cat, and I think someone alluded/said this already is to see if the Glock trigger could be made "similar" to a 2011. Maybe single action, short(er) reset, hammer instead of firing pin, 70s (no firing pin block), etc.

The glock action already does half (or more of) the work of cycling the slide, ejecting, rechambering the next round... the other part(s), to cock the hammer or firing pin, reset the sear or trigger bar, the trigger need not going that far forward, etc. needs to be engineered and executed. It may or may not have the trigger pull safety, it could be an "option" per taste, similarly the thumb and grip safety could also be an option, per shooter preference or sport.

While we're at it, maybe think about a fixed barrel/sights ;)

The Laugo Alien seems like an interesting design, I want to see how that pans out.

Edited by IowaNewbie

I think what you really want is for a company like Mecgar to make 2011 mags.  Can you imagine a $25 2011 mag that runs as reliably as the CZ 17 rounds mags?  They could have one developed in a week I bet.      

Been saying this for awhile now.

Mecgar 140s for 25ish and 170s for 35ish. Would fundamentally change the value proposition to the outside world (non-competitive shooters) for 2011s.

Currently, a fancy-gun timmy willing to throw down the cash is going to have some custom glock or M&P monstrosity. Costs the same as a 2011 but the mags are nearly free and reliable. If they could get a carry 2011 and then get reliable mags for a reasonable amount of money more people would do it.

13 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:

Been saying this for awhile now.

Mecgar 140s for 25ish and 170s for 35ish. Would fundamentally change the value proposition to the outside world (non-competitive shooters) for 2011s.

Currently, a fancy-gun timmy willing to throw down the cash is going to have some custom glock or M&P monstrosity. Costs the same as a 2011 but the mags are nearly free and reliable. If they could get a carry 2011 and then get reliable mags for a reasonable amount of money more people would do it.

Why would you want a 140mm+ mag if it's not being used for competition?

Also, to have a fair comparison, glock competition mags are not the cheapest either, once you add TTI or TF base pads.
$25(mag) + $40(base pad) = $65 for a plastic mag 

if we are comparing factory mags,
I agree,
the 2011 platform would be more appealing if the mags were cheaper.
But 2011 mags are not the only ones that are expensive.
Look at CZ's, H&K's, 9mm 1911's

all those mags are well over $40

35 minutes ago, mmlook said:

Also, to have a fair comparison, glock competition mags are not the cheapest either, once you add TTI or TF base pads.
$25(mag) + $40(base pad) = $65 for a plastic mag 

if we are comparing factory mags,
I agree,
the 2011 platform would be more appealing if the mags were cheaper.
But 2011 mags are not the only ones that are expensive.
Look at CZ's, H&K's, 9mm 1911's

all those mags are well over $40

Well over $40 for a  mag in this game is not expensive. Just the way it is. 

1 hour ago, mmlook said:

Appendix carrying a Glock with a bunch of widgets and a Hyve or TTI extended basepad is the current fad in the tacticool Instagram world.

No. This post is not a joke.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

15 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Appendix carrying a Glock with a bunch of widgets and a Hyve or TTI extended basepad is the current fad in the tacticool Instagram world.

No. This post is not a joke.

interesting, I will never understand the desire to point a loaded weapon at your crotch

"I'd buy a 2011 if the mags were cheaper!"    Really?     So the gun you shoot is based on the price of mags? Certainly not everyone wants a 2011. I concur they are not cheap and you could question their value towards improving your game.   

"I'd buy a 2011 if the mags were cheaper!"    Really?     So the gun you shoot is based on the price of mags? Certainly not everyone wants a 2011. I concur they are not cheap and you could question their value towards improving your game.   

"I'd buy a 2011 if the mags were more reliable!"

Very valid reason to not shoot one.

32 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:

"I'd buy a 2011 if the mags were more reliable!"

Very valid reason to not shoot one.

All you guys should just shoot Glocks.  Reliable & cheap gun and mags.  Why complain about 1911s?  Go Glock!

Edited by teros135

All you guys should just shoot Glocks.  Reliable & cheap gun and mags.  Why complain about 1911s?  Go Glock!

I am not complaining about them. People in the non-competitive community are. Having a 100% reliable solution for 2011s (which mecgar would be) could alleviate that complaint.

50 minutes ago, Gooldylocks said:
1 hour ago, teros135 said:

I am not complaining about them. People in the non-competitive community are. Having a 100% reliable solution for 2011s (which mecgar would be) could alleviate that complaint.

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I know you shoot 2011.  

Nothing's 100%, but most of the folks I know have MBX or tuned STI mags that work fine, so what is MecGar going to do differently?  Make a cheap, thinner-walled mag that's less reliable?  

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I know you shoot 2011.  

Nothing's 100%, but most of the folks I know have MBX or tuned STI mags that work fine, so what is MecGar going to do differently?  Make a cheap, thinner-walled mag that's less reliable?  
Have you ever messed with anything MecGar? They are perfect. If they weren't, they wouldn't provide the OEM magazines for tons of manufacturers.

And again, we in the USPSA/IPSC/IDPA/3G world might have figured out reliable tuned mags... but random-Instagram-hero Timmy doesn't. If he could buy a 100% reliable factory mag for the same price as an M&P or XD mag, it opens up the available options.

4 hours ago, teros135 said:

Glocks are not that reliable if you set them up like a 2011.

Try running an 11lb recoil spring, 10oz slide, and a fully supported chamber on a glock

Reliability will be the same as a 2011.
I personally tried this with an open glock, it would not feed/eject worth a dam, unless the ammo was perfect, and mags were tuned just right

If you setup a 2011 with a 14-15oz slide, 17-19lb recoil spring, and unsupported chamber with a huge ramp.
it'll feed everything as well.

The mags are only one part of the equation,

mags and ammo become the limiting factor in limited 2011's cause most people push the limit to gain accuracy, power factor, recoil impulse, etc...