Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 w/Glock Mags

xtian999

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is a stupid question; everybody and his brother is making PCCs to take Glock magazines, Ruger and Wilson included. 

Why not a non-Glock pistol taking Glock magazines?  It would sure cut into the magazine "tuning" cottage industry. 

The only hangup I can see is that the Glock magazine is made for the Glock grip angle.  Which is exactly what I would be wanting to get away from.  Maybe it could be managed with a whonkerjawed mag well; kind of like my High Standard Citation Military. 

Of course you could ask the same of any other common striker fired gun; their magazines are usually well developed and a 1911 action with a S&W or XD magazine would work even better, no Lugerish grip angle.  That is what Wilson did, we are told that their EDC X9 magazine tube is like Walther PPQ except for notch and floorplate.     

13 hours ago, xtian999 said:

Does anyone make a 2011 pistol that uses Glock double stack mags? If so, who? And if not, why not?

2011 platform frame internal  dimensions do not allow this. 

but u can use glock mags in glocks  that produced in 2011 .😉

Hello: The grip angle would have to change to except the Glock magazines. The frame would have to be opened up some to except the Glock magazines as well. I think you would be better off getting a steel Glock frame and work on a better trigger for it. I have a Glock 34 with a 2 1/4lb trigger that is pretty nice to give you an idea of what can be done pretty easily. Thanks, Eric

All sacred cows aside, it would probably be a 1911-ish slide, hammer, and trigger, and a glock-ish grip. But with 3D mfg and CAD design, how hard can it to put the chocolate and the peanut butter together?

22 minutes ago, xtian999 said:

All sacred cows aside, it would probably be a 1911-ish slide, hammer, and trigger, and a glock-ish grip. But with 3D mfg and CAD design, how hard can it to put the chocolate and the peanut butter together?

it's possible ,but the frame strength will be like that of  chocolate 😉  

Surprised to see this thread... I had the same idea just a few weeks ago. I discussed it with a buddy and he thought was great idea also. Glock mags and grip angle could be a heck of a combination when combined with the 2011 platform. I know I would try one. 

I certainly don’t claim to have thought of it first. It is just one of those ideas that makes sense. I was at a match with my new Ruger PC9 and a guy noticed it and said that he has one of the old ones with the Ruger mags and when they decided to go Glock compatible, everyone wanted one and it became a hit. So... I said, “Someone should do a double stack 2011 the same way.” and we both knew right away that it sounded like a good idea. As far as grip angle, it will be whatever it has to be to make it work and that will be ok. If it can be done, I think it would be a hit. 

1 hour ago, xtian999 said:

I certainly don’t claim to have thought of it first. It is just one of those ideas that makes sense. I was at a match with my new Ruger PC9 and a guy noticed it and said that he has one of the old ones with the Ruger mags and when they decided to go Glock compatible, everyone wanted one and it became a hit. So... I said, “Someone should do a double stack 2011 the same way.” and we both knew right away that it sounded like a good idea. As far as grip angle, it will be whatever it has to be to make it work and that will be ok. If it can be done, I think it would be a hit. 

I'm sure neither of us had an original thought ... but they say "great minds think alike". Often I wonder who "they" are... 

not to be obtuse but I just held a Glock mag next to a 1911 mag as I don't own a 2011 and the angle of the feed lips to the back of the mag look almost  (to 48 year old eyes) identical...

grip angles are different but the mag angles look pretty close to me. now the mag catch is another thing but maybe you could graft a Gen4 glock setup into an old 2011 plastic lower ?

Gcarr this may be closer than we think, 

Glock mags aren't necessarily flawless perfection after you add the mag extensions.  I had issues when I shot a glock in Limited.  And, the plastic coating can make them slow to drop free.  I think what you really want is for a company like Mecgar to make 2011 mags.  My mecgar mags for various guns have all run 100% flawless, always.  I'm betting Mecgar would be making 140mm 2011 mags already if their market research didn't show them it would be a bad investment.  Can you imagine a $25 2011 mag that runs as reliably as the CZ 17 rounds mags?  They could have one developed in a week I bet.      

Obsessiveshooter has a point. Cheap, reliable double stack mags for the 2011 is a worthy goal. It does not take into account the wide availability of Glock mags and cross-compatibility with a shooter’s other guns. For example:  I bought a Ruger PC9 last Friday and had all the mags I needed to shoot matches on Saturday and Sunday. That may not have been the case if I had to chase down a fringe Mecgar product on a holiday Friday afternoon. But hell, if Mecgar wants to make ‘em for my RIA Tac9, I’d buy ‘em.