Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Data-Shooters World Major Pistol Powder

AKJD

1 hour ago, zzt said:

If there is that much difference between lots of SWMP then I am going to switch to AA7, hoping it will be more consistent.  Plus it is made in the USA.

That’s exactly what I did. So far, the different lots of AA7 I used are all consistent.

9.7 Gr of AA7 with 124 Gr PD JHP @ 1.165 OAL for 171 PF on my Czechmate.

I just hate how the powder leaks on my Dillon powder measure. Called Dillon to ask for a thicker spacer but the rep said to just change the powder because it will still leak even with a thicker spacer 😡. I put a strip of packaging tape and so far it doesn’t leak anymore.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 hours ago, George16 said:

I just hate how the powder leaks on my Dillon powder measure. Called Dillon to ask for a thicker spacer but the rep said to just change the powder because it will still leak even with a thicker spacer

And that is the exact reason I dropped Dillon and went with Hornady.  Not only does it not leak, it is more precise as well.

[mention=47514]iflyskyhigh[/mention] I just got a reply from SW. They are sending me replacement jugs of powder and prepaid shipping labels to send back my 314 lots.

Thank you. Appreciate the info. I will contact them next week.

Well, six months after I first opened a can of the notorious lot 314 and contacted Shooters World I'm getting replacements. Should arrive next week. They said on the way is lot #519. Has anyone used this lot # yet? Just wondering which category it falls into, good, bad or ugly. If anyone has 519 please advise. Thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just started using swmp and I’m making 175pf with 9.7gr @1.169 oal 124gr jhp. I’m getting a lot of unburnt powder in the gun. What could I do to help reduce the amount of unburnt powder? More crimp? Different primers? Currently using federal small pistol primers. I have cci and Winchester as well. 

1 hour ago, Corrado_kid said:

I just started using swmp and I’m making 175pf with 9.7gr @1.169 oal 124gr jhp. I’m getting a lot of unburnt powder in the gun. What could I do to help reduce the amount of unburnt powder? More crimp? Different primers? Currently using federal small pistol primers. I have cci and Winchester as well. 

I had the same problems awhile back with unturned powder / debris on my Open pistol using MP.

Had several long and informative discussions with the manufacturer. His suggestion was to increase the COL of my major rounds??....although I thought this was a stretch went from 1.165 to 1.175 COL in my Atlas.

Lo and behold debris problem not totally eliminated but I would say 90% any way.....and more to my surprise PF numbers were marginally changed.

Interesting lesson anyway....very happy with the powder .........

10 hours ago, TANFARM said:

I had the same problems awhile back with unturned powder / debris on my Open pistol using MP.

Had several long and informative discussions with the manufacturer. His suggestion was to increase the COL of my major rounds??....although I thought this was a stretch went from 1.165 to 1.175 COL in my Atlas.

Lo and behold debris problem not totally eliminated but I would say 90% any way.....and more to my surprise PF numbers were marginally changed.

Interesting lesson anyway....very happy with the powder .........

Interesting, you would think it would be the other way around. I’ll try that and see what happens. 

Kid......apparently the barrels can be “ throated”??..to different depths and this was the case with me..actually running same rounds on both Chaos.

I agree the logic seems counterintuitive at best!

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to working up a load. Good news is my jus isn't slow. I had one of the 514 lots from mid November 19.

I really like it. Maybe more than Silhouette.

Took me a bit to find an accurate load and COAL, but it was worth it.

I'm surprised what a difference COAL makes in the accuracy department. With every other pistol it makes little to no difference if I seat them long, in fact I find 99.9% of the time shorter is better. But with the open gun it's completely opposite. Seat em short and it sprays bullets all over the place. Seat long and it's like a laser.

115gr Everglades JHP (the one with more of a round nose profile)

Fed or Win SP Magnum Primer

9.9 grs seat to 1.155"

1465 FPS

On 5/20/2020 at 4:12 PM, George16 said:

That’s exactly what I did. So far, the different lots of AA7 I used are all consistent.

9.7 Gr of AA7 with 124 Gr PD JHP @ 1.165 OAL for 171 PF on my Czechmate.

I just hate how the powder leaks on my Dillon powder measure. Called Dillon to ask for a thicker spacer but the rep said to just change the powder because it will still leak even with a thicker spacer 😡. I put a strip of packaging tape and so far it doesn’t leak anymore.

I exchanged all my Dillon pistol powder spacer bars for the "tighter" fitting black spacer bars and I don't get leaks any more. I just loaded 2200 rounds of SWMP this morning and had zero leakage. So they do work. I just live down the street from Dillon so I just went in, took my old spacers and they gave me the new black ones.

On 5/21/2020 at 6:50 AM, zzt said:

And that is the exact reason I dropped Dillon and went with Hornady.  Not only does it not leak, it is more precise as well.

I kind of have to agree. I have several of the Hornady, and when I was doing my load development of this round, I did it on the 550 with the Hornady. It's so easy to dial in the load right on the money. Problem is I can't get the Hornady on the 650 with the bullet seater too.

18 minutes ago, iflyskyhigh said:

I exchanged all my Dillon pistol powder spacer bars for the "tighter" fitting black spacer bars and I don't get leaks any more. I just loaded 2200 rounds of SWMP this morning and had zero leakage. So they do work. I just live down the street from Dillon so I just went in, took my old spacers and they gave me the new black ones.

Thanks for the info. I’ll use the old powder measure from my 550B since that one has the black spacer instead of the gray ones on the newer powder measures.

15 minutes ago, NiteQwill said:

What do these new black spacer bars look like? Are we talking about the bar that sits on top of the powder bar?

Older bar not new . And yes the bar that sits on top of the small powder bar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 11:27 AM, Steel_Guy said:

I had issues with the powder leakage on SWMP but went to https://www.arredondoaccessories.com/product/powder-drop-slide/

Works great!

My leakage isn’t bad on the press or shell plate but it’s bad enough on the bar to jam it up every 700 or so rounds. Really annoying. I was going to order this today but saw your post. https://benstoegerproshop.com/arredondo-powder-drop-slide-with-micrometer-powder-bar-kit-for-dillon-reloading-press/

On 11/12/2018 at 7:22 PM, AKJD said:

Worked up to 9.8 grains which got me to where I wanted to be right around 172-173 power factor.  The warm load was indoors at 70 degrees then kept in my truck with the heater on until ready to shoot.  The cold load was kept outside in the bed of my truck for a couple hours until shot.  The difference wasn't huge but could be a factor if you like to keep it close.  After getting the load to where I wanted it I loaded 100 rounds and shot a few drills.  Liking this powder so far.  May have found my replacement for HS-6 and WAC. 

CK Arms Thunder Open with KKM barrel and three holes.  Ammo loaded on Dillon 650.  Winchester once fired brass and Winchester SPP.  Everglades 124 grain JHP.

Created: 12/11/18 14:48
Description: 9.8 Major Pistol cold
Notes 1: Win Brass
Notes 2: Win SPP
Distance to Chrono(FT): 8.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 124.00
Temp: 28 °F
BP: 29.78 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
10    1376    521.40  170.62 
9    1382    525.96  171.37 
8    1371    517.62  170.00 
7    1384    527.48  171.62 
6    1382    525.96  171.37 
5    1372    518.38  170.13 
4    1375    520.65  170.50 
3    1376    521.40  170.62 
2    1392    533.60  172.61 
1    1360    509.35  168.64 
Average: 1377.0 FPS
SD: 8.7 FPS
Min: 1360 FPS
Max: 1392 FPS
Spread: 32 FPS
True MV: 1378 FPS

Created: 12/11/18 14:40
Description: 9.8 Major Pistol Warm
Notes 1: Win Brass
Notes 2: Win SPP
Distance to Chrono(FT): 8.00
Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
Bullet Weight(gr): 124.00
Temp: 28 °F
BP: 29.78 inHg
Altitude: 0.00
#          FPS  FT-LBS      PF
10    1392    533.60  172.61 
9    1398    538.21  173.35 
8    1394    535.13  172.86 
7    1384    527.48  171.62 
6    1399    538.98  173.48 
5    1399    538.98  173.48 
4    1391    532.83  172.48 
3    1395    535.90  172.98 
2    1381    525.20  171.24 
1    1385    528.25  171.74 
Average: 1391.8 FPS
SD: 6.5 FPS
Min: 1381 FPS
Max: 1399 FPS
Spread: 18 FPS
True MV: 1393 FPS

I experimented with 9.4 & 9.6gr sadly, it didn't make it pass 170PF, barely broke 168PF which is ok at best.  Just loaded 9.8gr to test out on the PT Honcho open setup~  Let's hope it makes PF :) 

24 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

I experimented with 9.4 & 9.6gr sadly, it didn't make it pass 170PF, barely broke 168PF which is ok at best.  Just loaded 9.8gr to test out on the PT Honcho open setup~  Let's hope it makes PF :) 

With a honcho you will need at least 9.8 to make 170+.

32 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

Thanks, it was confirmed today~  Loaded 12 rounds at 9.8gr, most were 173PF so 9.8gr is the ticket!  :)

Yep! And it will change a bit given different weather conditions etc. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For those who switched to MP from HS6, what was your change in charge weight?

I've seen plenty of people comment that it burns clean (HS6 makes my Czechmate filthy), but is there any substantial change in feel? 

What is powder fill like in a 9mm case? I'm running 8.5gr of HS6, which leaves me a reasonable amount of room in the case so I don't have any spillage issues from the case plate indexing and I don't think the load is compressed based on my measurements. 

Also how is availability vs HS6? Seems like MP is cheaper but charge weights are higher so cost savings is negligible.