Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder Measure

jaredbeesley

Digital is nice for adjusting charge weight, you see how far off you are and develop a feel for how far to adjust your dropper, I also like to check about 4 drops at once for total error when making initial drop settings. 

Beam is faster for me for checking charge weight after things are set. 

Both also lets you make sure you do not have a scale error, if you have only one then I recommend buying or making (I would make) a known test weight that is about the same weight as a typical charge, a piece of aluminum can will do. 

I have a charge-master and I like it.  It's not perfect; with some powders you'll watch it creep up to the weight and then blow right past it.  Also, the trickle feature is too fast to be very useful.  When I'm loading with those powders I set a target weight ~0.5gr under what I want and use a real trickler to top it off.  It can also be a pain if you switch powders a lot; it's hard to get ALL the old powder out and sooner or later you will forget to close the drain before you dump the new stuff in and it'll end up all over your bench (I've done that twice).  Aside from those issues it really speeds up the loading process without compromising accuracy.  I'd recommend one if you're not switching powder too often.

Digital scales are great and accurate BUT there are things ypu must do because they are finicky.  Make sure its on a level flat, sturdy surface.  It should be away from all air ducts, drafts etc.  Make sure scale set up to zero and back away to let it settle in.  When weighing step back and let scale do its thing.  I've dealt with digital scales commercially, some friends don't even use them near flourscent lighting.  Personally use a Dillon and have no issues, if the above is followed.  I know alittle overboard,  but I like accurate measurements.

Jim 

AutoTrickler.com

get the full meal deal, with the A&D FX120i, AutoTrickler & AutoThrower.

then head over to Area419.com, and get all the 'bling' to upgrade it (bullet powder cup & trickler base are pretty much essential, IMHO).

Fast single-kernel accuracy for about half what the *lease* on a Prometheus costs, much less purchasing one outright.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Was just having a ton of trouble with my hornady powder dispenser, so I came here looking for answers.

Looking for an opinion on something that won't break the bank, but be consistent. 

Powder dispenser (Lyman gen 6, or Chargemaster), or a powder throw and a scale? 

For someone not crazy into precision rifle but wants good results, what's the best move? Loading 308 with varget, and 300blk with H110/CFE BLK if it matters.

• 2 weeks later...

This is gonna blow some minds;

The most accurate extruded stick powder thrower I've ever used is a cheapo Lee perfect powder measure. I know everyone will scoff, but with a titan reloading baffle, I manage to keep my throws within .06gr. For perspective, a single kernal of H4350 or Varget, weighs .03grs each.

I can throw a charge, weigh it, manually tweezer in a kernal or two, and voila: I'm within a +/-.02 variance (partly due to broken/randomly smaller kernals).

Its a true diamond in the rough as far as throwers go. People automatically look past it, but for this one and only application, its exceptional. I have a harrels thrower also, and while its extremely accurate and consistent, it also cost 10x as much.

• 2 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 5:40 AM, Alderleet said:

This is gonna blow some minds;

The most accurate extruded stick powder thrower I've ever used is a cheapo Lee perfect powder measure. I know everyone will scoff, but with a titan reloading baffle, I manage to keep my throws within .06gr. For perspective, a single kernal of H4350 or Varget, weighs .03grs each.

I can throw a charge, weigh it, manually tweezer in a kernal or two, and voila: I'm within a +/-.02 variance (partly due to broken/randomly smaller kernals).

Its a true diamond in the rough as far as throwers go. People automatically look past it, but for this one and only application, its exceptional. I have a harrels thrower also, and while its extremely accurate and consistent, it also cost 10x as much.

Thats interesting ill have to try that for the price you cant go wrong.

On 12/27/2018 at 3:40 AM, Alderleet said:

The most accurate extruded stick powder thrower I've ever used is a cheapo Lee perfect powder measure. I know everyone will scoff, but with a titan reloading baffle, I manage to keep my throws within .06gr.

You're right, I don't believe you...

15 hours ago, Delfuego said:

You're right, I don't believe you...

I bought one.  Tried it.  Put it back in the box as an emergency back up in case the RCBS powder measure breaks some day.

For powders that measure consistently (mostly ball powders) the RCBS uniflow works fine.  For the few stick powders I'm still using and for the flake powders in the pistols that approach max. charges I use a Hornady electronic powder measure/scale.  It's slower than the uniflow but it's "on target" all the time.

I'm trying to get away from the IMR rifle powders.  BLC2 is spoiling me as compared to IMR4198.

I used to work with a guy who claimed his Dillon powder measure was consistent with IMR4198.  He thanked me for telling him how well my AR's did with 4198 and 55 grain FMJ bullets (at that time I was using the measure to drop a charge under target and trickling up to the target weight with the uniflow - Lyman 55B didn't do any better).  He told me his Dillon was dead on every time and he was getting better groups with 4198.  I have not tried a Dillon powder measure, yet.  Like I said, just using more BLC2 and some H335 (another consistent feeding powder.)

Autotrickler/FX120i with entire Area419 upgrade kit. It's been absolutely amazing. PRS youtube channel did a 2 part series on tricklers. The FX120i with autotrickler is 99% as good as the prometheus at 25-35% of the cost. Cant beat that, and is much more consistent then the Chargemasters/Lymans/Hornady tricklers

I currently run a Chargemaster and I like it well enough.  However if I was to try and get more "precision" I would for sure look at the FX120i.  My buddy has one.  He's been killing it at the range and the informal matches so far this year.  He attributes it to the thrower and I don't disagree.  He's a hella shooter but has gotten even better and more consistent.  Pretty impressive.

• 5 weeks later...

Here's what i learned after many years of experimenting.

Ball/short cut extruded powders: Use regular powder thrower of your choice (Hornady, RCBSS, Dillon, etc).  There is no advantage in a digital powder dispenser.

Extruded powders: Digital powder dispenser every time.  I have two (2) RCBS charge masters with cheat codes set-up.  They can dispense faster than i can pour the powder into cases.

Good luck. 

• 2 months later...

I use a Dillon 650 to drop just short of my accuracy load- then final weight is achieved with a trickler using a RCBS 505. Not sure I would trust some of the newer powder dispensers that make great claims of accuracy.