Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
jaredbeesley

Powder Measure

What are most of you using for your powder measures? I am almost positive that 99% of us have gone digital but I have been looking at something like the RCBS Charge master and wanted your thoughts.

Digital is nice for adjusting charge weight, you see how far off you are and develop a feel for how far to adjust your dropper, I also like to check about 4 drops at once for total error when making initial drop settings. 

Beam is faster for me for checking charge weight after things are set. 

Both also lets you make sure you do not have a scale error, if you have only one then I recommend buying or making (I would make) a known test weight that is about the same weight as a typical charge, a piece of aluminum can will do. 

I have a charge-master and I like it.  It's not perfect; with some powders you'll watch it creep up to the weight and then blow right past it.  Also, the trickle feature is too fast to be very useful.  When I'm loading with those powders I set a target weight ~0.5gr under what I want and use a real trickler to top it off.  It can also be a pain if you switch powders a lot; it's hard to get ALL the old powder out and sooner or later you will forget to close the drain before you dump the new stuff in and it'll end up all over your bench (I've done that twice).  Aside from those issues it really speeds up the loading process without compromising accuracy.  I'd recommend one if you're not switching powder too often.

I use a Lyman digital scale. I can’t complain, it’s accurate and consistent. I want a chargemaster. It would be nice to not have to trickle charges.