Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Gen5 MOS FS

bodybag0

I've been running with a G34 gen 4 for years.  Now I see that glock has a gen 5 with front serrations.   They also closed the opening to strip the mag.   This should help for stages that start with gun unloaded.   Whats your thoughts?  

I like the opening on the front strap. The front serrations could help out some, but in the end, neither matters much. No one wants to here this, but pick one and practice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a 17 mos fs gen 5 on the way! I shot a gen 5 34 in carry optic a little this year and liked it but really was wanting the front serrations, figured I would give the 17 a try for next year. I like the way the 17 feels shooting a stage a bit more than a 34, not sure why.

I hate to buy another Glock but I tried other platforms and cant get use to them.   I think having a flared magwell and front serrations will be a good thing.   Plus my current G34 has over 40K on it and looks like hell.  Its pretty beat up.  I don't know, I'll think about it.   

54 minutes ago, bodybag0 said:

I hate to buy another Glock but I tried other platforms and cant get use to them.   I think having a flared magwell and front serrations will be a good thing.   Plus my current G34 has over 40K on it and looks like hell.  Its pretty beat up.  I don't know, I'll think about it.   

Your current G34 sounds rightly broken in. The trigger must be really smoothed out.

What do you need front serrations for besides a press check? Am I missing something?

15 hours ago, mwc said:

No one wants to here this, but pick one and practice.

I must say that I think everything SHOULD hear that. I see a lot of friends and shooters always changing something (guns, gear, etc) and they never improve. I would add as an incentive, when you stick with one system and don't change anything gear wise, and you improve, it is solely from your OWN performance increase. 

For me personally, I practice as much as possible and the gauge my performances as a percentage against the really good shooters here locally. Any increase in percentage is just me and I take pride in that. 

Am I the only one that wishes they would have put the FCS a little further back?  Seems like most gun companies usually ghetto everything they try to do. 

I've shot Glocks a lot and I've never had one with FCS. For USPSA I use progrip on my hands and that seems to help on the bare slide. Though, I've never tried to do the underhand rack.  I could see how the FCS would be a little more useful there.  I wouldn't specifically go buy one just for the FCS if I already had Glocks set up and running. Though, I'd choose the one with FCS over in without if I was buying a new one.  

As for the mag cutout. My first gen 3 34 had that.  Glock seems to switch back and forth on things like that from time to time. It never bothered me. However, I'd choose one without it vs one that had it but again wouldn't go buy another one just for that. 

Edited by B_RAD

The Gen 5 finish is more slippery.  My Gen 5 Glock 34 is pre front serrations.  The most compelling reason to change to a Gen 5 gun to me is the accuracy increase, and the trigger is better.  Cocking serrations would be a bonus.  I have a Gen 3 34 for comparison.

Edited by 12glocks

In January I will have been shooting USPSA for 2 years with a Gen4 34. I've removed the front groves and with a few spring changes and EVO connector it shoots very well. Looks appropriately worn from lots of dry fire and probably 20k rounds through it. 

I do want to get a back up gun soon and I don't see any reason not to make it a Gen5. I agree the serrations may not be a big deal, but the barrel and mag well might help a fraction. Any reason not to have a Gen 4 and 5 so long as the triggers are close?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been running with a G34 gen 4 for years.  Now I see that glock has a gen 5 with front serrations.   They also closed the opening to strip the mag.   This should help for stages that start with gun unloaded.   Whats your thoughts?  

If you’re using it for CO, I would think about the Gen 5 17 MOS over the 34 since eight radius won’t matter. I would also definitely get the newer ones without the opening front strip. It seems to me like you could hang the mag on the cutout pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

My G5 34 has no serrations, I placed some skateboard tape up front, it's what I'm used to, ran it that way on my G4. I never have noticed any problems with the grip cutout, would love it to not be there, but doesn't bother me too bad.

Glocks have always been ok to me. I have a gen3 34 that doesn’t get used much. However, when I picked up a gen5 34 fs I started to like it.  The front serrations are nice but I like the closed up magwell on the fs. The trigger does feel a lot better on the 5 and I can shoot mine pretty accurate.  I am very happy with it so far.  Grip is better than the previous gens also.  If your going to get another 34 I would not consider anything other than the gen5 without the magwell cut out so get the one with the fs. 

Also ive not had an issue with the coating being slick.  I’m a lefty and drop my mag and slide with my trigger finger. Saturday during a cold match my frozen finger wouldn’t bend up to drop the slide so I had to reach over and rack it while on the clock. No issues with cold hands on the coating for me. Yes I keep forgetting to use the ambi slide release. 

On 11/7/2018 at 4:54 PM, igolfat8 said:

I have a two day old G34.5 and it still has the grip cut out and no front serrations. 

I bought a 34 Gen 5 early on when they first came out and it has the cut out and no front serrations. I'm pissed that they've changed it and didn't just do this crap in the first place. I'm sure PLENTY of people have requested this stuff.

The cutout catches on my clothing and when I put my forearm on the pistol grip to get ready to draw in USPSA, I can feel it digging into my arm.

Now I've got to buy a new one (or maybe two for a backup gun). Fortunately, being in California I can probably sell it for more than what I paid for it.

Edited by telligentgunner

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 7:29 PM, floater said:

I have a 17 mos fs gen 5 on the way! I shot a gen 5 34 in carry optic a little this year and liked it but really was wanting the front serrations, figured I would give the 17 a try for next year. I like the way the 17 feels shooting a stage a bit more than a 34, not sure why.

I was in the same boat... shot a 34 Gen 5 in carry optics this year but I just sold it to upgrade to the 34 Gen 5 FS for the front serrations and closed magazine well.  The half-moon cut out used to dig into my arm. It should also make unloaded starts easier.

I'll be getting a 17 Gen 5 FS too for home and maybe as a backup gun.

For me is no diference shooting G34 gen 4 or 5, but I fill up the gap of 5's, closing the magazine well.

Shooting with mos vortex venom on 34 gen 5 is a rocket vs iron fiber optic sigts... more accuracy at higher speed.. at 10 yards the bullets bite te same holes.