Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best comp for 9 major

dirty5thirty

My only practical, hands-on experience is with a 12 year old comp on my TruBor.

BUT, from what I've read here, I am guessing that each comp will probably

do a better or worse job depending on the bullet weight and powder used.

For example, I've heard great things re:  Eric's comp, but that might be best

using a particular powder/bullet combo.   Same for any of the other comps.

You might want to discuss each gunsmith's recommended load to optimize

the benefits of their comp, and make sure you want to use that particular

powder.

E.g, kneelingatlas has me convinced that 3n38 is superior to WAC (which

I have been using for years), but I am not willing to reload 3n38 to the top

of the case and then try to jam a bullet in the remaining fraction of an

inch on top of the powder.  

So, I'm going to stick with WAC/HS6 for a

while - if I were looking for a new comp, I'd want somebody to tell me

that their comp worked exceptionally well with WAC/HS6.    But,

that's just me.    :) 

Jack: I built my comp to work 115's and 124's and 9mm as well as 38 super/super comp. Powders used and tested are HS-6, WAC, Silhouette, 3N37, N105, N350, Blue Dot, AA7, as well as some others. My goal was to shoot flat and also soft in your hand. After a bucket of different designs I found what worked best for me and some others that tested it as well. Is it the best for everyone, I don't think so since so many people like different setups and power factors. I know guys who still shoot 180PF loads and like it because they haven't tried anything else in decades. I also know guys who shoot very heavy guns and do well with those. I like my open pistols on the lighter side so I can get them transitioning quicker for me with the balance point under my weak hand index finger. Lastly I have tested a bunch of comps and know some are close to mine but non of them shoot as soft as mine. Thanks, Eric

9 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Is it the best for everyone, I don't think so  

I like my open pistols on the lighter side 

I have tested a bunch of comps and some are close to mine but none shoot as soft as mine. 

I meant no disrespect, Eric.   ?

Again, I have no experience with any comps besides the one that I have had for 12 years,

and from what I've read, ANY new comp will probably be much better than the one I have.

But, just wondering out loud whether there are factors other than the comp design which

will determine a shooter's satisfaction with any particular design (not just yours, but

any comp) ?

You mention the weight of the gun for example, and I imagine a shooter's grip would also

be a factor.   I thought powder selection might also play a role in the difference, and your

experience is that powder is NOT a factor, but PF might be.   

All good discussion - if I ever change comps (and I just might) I'll probably go with yours

based on the discussions here at BE - it sounds very effective.     :) 

22 hours ago, kneelingatlas said:
11 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Jack: I built my comp to work 115's and 124's and 9mm as well as 38 super/super comp. Powders used and tested are HS-6, WAC, Silhouette, 3N37, N105, N350, Blue Dot, AA7, as well as some others. My goal was to shoot flat and also soft in your hand. After a bucket of different designs I found what worked best for me and some others that tested it as well. Is it the best for everyone, I don't think so since so many people like different setups and power factors. I know guys who still shoot 180PF loads and like it because they haven't tried anything else in decades. I also know guys who shoot very heavy guns and do well with those. I like my open pistols on the lighter side so I can get them transitioning quicker for me with the balance point under my weak hand index finger. Lastly I have tested a bunch of comps and know some are close to mine but non of them shoot as soft as mine. Thanks, Eric

I'm also interested in your comp. Please PM me details.

Thanks,

Eric B

Jack, no problem I was just giving some info that may help others out. Open is a funny division since there is so many choices and of coarse everyone has the perfect setup, kinda like PCC. Thanks, Eric

IMG_1705.jpg

Edited by Aircooled6racer

On 10/1/2018 at 9:34 AM, kneelingatlas said:

I've tested a lot of comps and found Eric and Jared's comps to be the best two.  Between the two Eric's shoots a touch flatter, but Jared's is dramatically lighter.

thank you, where can I find Jared's comps? Do you have links? thanks again

Edited by metricgoods

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, Aircooled6racer said:

I built my comp to work 115's and 124's and 9mm as well as 38 super/super comp. Powders used and tested are HS-6, WAC,

I have Eric's comps on 2 of my guns and yes they do work very well with 115gr over WAC in both major and minor PF. 1 gun is set up for 5.1gr of WAC with 115gr SNS bullets and the other gun is set up for 6.8gr of WAC with 115gr SNS bullets. Both shoot VERY flat.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:07 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Jack, no problem I was just giving some info that may help others out. Open is a funny division since there is so many choices and of coarse everyone has the perfect setup, kinda like PCC. Thanks, Eric

You make these from Trubor blanks?

I think the real, and likely very unpopular answer is,  most comp designs work well enough to put the differences down personal preference. If there was actually a design that worked enough better to make a difference you would see all the guns move in that direction because to win it would be necessary. but as it is we have Akai, and SV/Atlas and Binary and Brazos all being very successful with wildly different designs.  

Hello: I tested alot of comps and some are better than others and some take more powder to make them work which can make them hit your hand harder but shoot flatter. I wanted soft shooting and flat. I was having elbow problems so that started it all for me. The shock wave going up my arm was not helping my arm heal so the doctor said stop shooting. I said I need a different doctor. Like I stated above everyone likes their setup and it works for them. I like building and testing stuff, it is part of the enjoyment for me. Thanks, Eric