Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which comp for 9mm PCC ?

I think it'd be really interesting to see some at least semi scientific tests comparing how much gas is working through a comp at various lengths of 9mm barrels. The powder is generally all burnt up in ten inches, right?

Although I have met some PCC shooters who swear they notice a considerable difference with an MBX comp on their Ruger PC9.  I would assume that with an AR PCC, once you tune the load/bolt/buffer to where it's contributing virtually no muzzle lift, then the comp could help that last little bit......if there's enough gas going through it.

I can comfortably admit that I'm too new to this to really notice it.

Edited by MoRivera
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you watch the video above and others posted on YouTube, it’s very clear gases are coming out and being directed by the comps. How much gas? How much force is the comp applying to direct to the barrel?

It varies from comp to comp, load to load. Imo mbx comps have a design that forces the gas into a large first chamber angles backward and up. I prefer mbx comps for this reason. The more gas the more the comp works, so if you’re shooting a powder puff load it won’t work as well. A comp used in conjunction with a tuned buffer, spring to a higher pf load is like the cherry on top. Don’t forget proper leveraging and mechanics of the rifle. 

My  mbx comp prefers 140ish pf or 124gr at 1130fps

Edited by Bwillis

Maybe a comp on a gun like the CMMG Banshee or Sig MPX, that isn't direct blowback, so there isn't as much reciprocating mass dominating the feel/action of it.  I have an MBX comped barrel incoming so I'm looking forward to seeing if there's a difference from others I've tried.  Weight of it is about the same as what I had on before and overall length is identical, so we'll see.  Still shooting factory loads as of now.

Edited by MoRivera
4 hours ago, MoRivera said:

Maybe a comp on a gun like the CMMG Banshee or Sig MPX, that isn't direct blowback, so there isn't as much reciprocating mass dominating the feel/action of it.  I have an MBX comped barrel incoming so I'm looking forward to seeing if there's a difference from others I've tried.  Weight of it is about the same as what I had on before and overall length is identical, so we'll see.  Still shooting factory loads as of now.

I will be interested to see and hear about it.

I looked real hard at them before my first build, but went with a Rainer Arms barrel and vg6 

Then went with the Taccom Tension barrel on the second build 

Edited by Startingover
22 hours ago, tha1000 said:

Has anyone experimented with 9 major in a pcc?

Yup.  1700fps+ easy for my 115gr loads.  Stout recoil.     My girlfriend took her PCC to her October Well Armed Woman meeting and I brought some of my 9major loaded with 115gr Everglades V2 over 10.5 of AA7 and it was obliterating the pumpkins they were shooting. 

Another thing is that I have to assume that barrel weight/mass will have a considerable influence on a comp's felt effectiveness, as a full-16" heavier M4 or Govt' profile steel barrel will probably absorb/counter more muzzle rise/movement than, say, a very lightweight or carbon fiber one.  So I could see not really noticing much difference with a heavier barrel between comp and no comp.

Edited by MoRivera
On 11/30/2018 at 9:58 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Countless posts trying to figure out “how to make a PCC shoot more softly” give lie to your attempt to classify them as having worthwhile advice.

Flatness matters.  Softness doesn’t.

LOL. @dmshozer1 he got you there. Your argument is the equivalent of saying the top pistol rimfire steel competitors have no use for the comp on their guns either. 

On 8/29/2018 at 8:43 AM, jkrispies said:

That looks like a very good design... just ugly as crap.  It has the proper thread pattern too. Aluminum should be lightweight.  I think the new TACCOM barrel with an MBX brake would make a good pairing, actually.  

How does the aluminum hold up to erosion from the hot gas?

Yesterday I went to watch a couple friends shoot a night match, and seeing the smoke in the dark, going up in front of your optic, or laser with a comp. vs out to the sides with a brake, made wonder about the choices of comp. vs brake vs where your laser and light were mounted.

It was just very interesting to me.

Edited by Startingover
5 hours ago, Startingover said:

Yesterday I went to watch a couple friends shoot a night match, and seeing the smoke in the dark, going up in front of your optic, or laser with a comp. vs out to the sides with a brake, made wonder about the choices of comp. vs brake vs where your laser and light were mounted.

It was just very interesting to me.

I shoot tg with a mbx comp 3 ports all directed up, I don’t ever notice smoke while I’m shooting. I ordered a laser but it’s not in yet. 

2 hours ago, Startingover said:

Doesn't the MBX have a small bump inside the center of the ports to kind of split up, and direct the gasses out to the sides a tiny bit?

ill post more once I edit you can see the gases being directed up and in a v pattern better with my go pro.

Edited by Bwillis

The MBX comp works fine in aluminum. Mine has prob 8k through it in my ruger and its fine. Cant use some of the more agrressive cleaning methods but if you keep it wet with CLP, welding splatter spray or something else to keep crap from sticking it makes things easier with any comp.Also no exposed lead base bullets stick with jhp, plated or tfmj.

Edited by JsK