• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MBX Barrel/comp arrived today.....

Muz1.jpg

Muz2.jpg

Muz3.jpg

Bar1.jpg

Bar2.jpg

Going to probably sight in and test it out tomorrow.  I must say I think it looks pretty slick.

Only minor niggle is the there is a certain 'booonnnggggggg....' when you knock the barrel with your finger.  But that's probably to be expected with a barrel with such a thin profile.  It's quite lightweight too.

Mine was 17oz total. Have not shot it at 100 yards but 50 was the typical 2-3 inch groups with a 6moa dot. Was thinking of putting a scope on really seeing what its capable of but had to much prep work for a night match. Only disapointment is no feedramp but a Taccom one fixed that issue.

5 hours ago, MoRivera said:

The MBX Barrel/comp arrived today.....

Muz1.jpg

Muz2.jpg

Muz3.jpg

Bar1.jpg

Bar2.jpg

Going to probably sight in and test it out tomorrow.  I must say I think it looks pretty slick.

Only minor niggle is the there is a certain 'booonnnggggggg....' when you knock the barrel with your finger.  But that's probably to be expected with a barrel with such a thin profile.  It's quite lightweight too.

Sure looks good, how much weight did you gain vs the old Taccom tension barrel?

2 hours ago, Startingover said:

Sure looks good, how much weight did you gain vs the old Taccom tension barrel?

It's actually around the same give or take an ounce.  Little heavier towards the muzzle obviously with a thicker steel comp, but feels good to handle so far.  If anything, the Taccom felt a bit too light.  I'm still going to send it in for repair (if possible).  The 12" rail seems to be the perfect length for the MBX.

So I shot a few hundred this afternoon sighting in my C-More and with the new MBX barrel/comp.  Frankly, it didn't really feel much different than what I remembered with the Taccom carbon fiber one with comp.  I'm still shooting factory stuff (Blazer Brass 155gr), so maybe it's still too hot to keep the reciprocating mass from dominating the feel of the cycle.  But yeah definitely didn't noticeably stabilize the barrel like on a 5.56 brake/comp.

Not that it's bad or anything, or that I was expecting miracles.  But considering that the MBX cost nearly twice what the Taccom combo did....I dunno.   I also have a 16" BSF carbon fiber barrel that I got off a helpful member here, and I only attached a generic pistol comp that I had in a parts drawer, and I have to say that barrel (in another upper, but using same bolt/lower/ammo) seemed to come back on target better and I shot tighter groups.

Carbon1.jpg

So I'm sending the bent Taccom back to see if they can repair.  If they can....I'll probably end up putting the MBX up for sale.  Again, not because it's bad, but it's just not twice as good as the Taccom...at least to me and my admittedly limited experience.  Definitely keeping the BSF though.  

Edited by MoRivera
10 hours ago, MoRivera said:

So I shot a few hundred this afternoon sighting in my C-More and with the new MBX barrel/comp.  Frankly, it didn't really feel much different than what I remembered with the Taccom carbon fiber one with comp.  I'm still shooting factory stuff (Blazer Brass 155gr), so maybe it's still too hot to keep the reciprocating mass from dominating the feel of the cycle.  But yeah definitely didn't noticeably stabilize the barrel like on a 5.56 brake/comp.

Not that it's bad or anything, or that I was expecting miracles.  But considering that the MBX cost nearly twice what the Taccom combo did....I dunno.   I also have a 16" BSF carbon fiber barrel that I got off a helpful member here, and I only attached a generic pistol comp that I had in a parts drawer, and I have to say that barrel (in another upper, but using same bolt/lower/ammo) seemed to come back on target better and I shot tighter groups.

Carbon1.jpg

So I'm sending the bent Taccom back to see if they can repair.  If they can....I'll probably end up putting the MBX up for sale.  Again, not because it's bad, but it's just not twice as good as the Taccom...at least to me and my admittedly limited experience.  Definitely keeping the BSF though.  

I’m curious if you tried it with no comp at all and if it shot same?

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I’m curious if you tried it with no comp at all and if it shot same?

Well, I look at that little generic pistol comp as basically no comp since I didn't notice it having much affect when I used it on other PCC's before.  I just put it on there to maybe help with sound pickup on a timer.  The total weight of the BSF is the same as the MBX, maybe because it's longer or maybe a little extra weight of a longer (13.5" vs. 12") handguard affected things.  But all I know is that I shot better with it.

Edited by MoRivera
On 8/28/2018 at 10:10 AM, mahamoti said:

On the subject of comps... Taccom released their new CF sleeved barrel, but it's 13.5".  That's going to need a comp at least 3" long to pin and make it legal.  It's also 1/2x28 threaded instead of 1/2x36.  Anyone have an idea of what comps are long enough to work, with that threading available?

I had my 16" barrel cut down to 13.25" and added the  MBX PCC comp.  It's 3" long, it's , it looks good, and it works. https://mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=PCC_Comp_Mount_CTR

image.png.fe896f92b9e15f55b07414b245cc7097.png

Edited by S&W627shooter
On 12/4/2018 at 9:53 PM, MoRivera said:

Carbon1.jpg

Did you mean 115 gr Blazer? Kind of a bummer that you didn't fee anything significant with the MBX barrel, maybe it's partly due to the reduced weight and that's why it's almost the same as the Taccom setup you have?

I put a PWS PCC comp on my 14.5" upper and ran my 147gr loads for carry optics through and then some 115gr winchester and there's definitely a difference in dot movement and recoil of course...it actually makes me want to run factory ammo for matches instead of my CO loads. The rifle runs the CO loads great and very accurate but since they're not super powerful I have issues sometimes with the shot timer picking up each round.

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.primaryweapons.com/product-url-5248 If anyone is looking for a deal on an inexpensive 9mm comp I came across these last night. 2.1" will be a bit short for my 8" barrel under my 8.5 FM products handguard but at this price I'm in. They have them in both 1/2×28 & 1/2×36 thread options. Ranier Arms was the only place I saw reviews but they were both positive. They look pretty cool and I know PWS makes quality stuff. I thought something was up with the site last night because it would not let me add it to my cart but it checked out this morning. 

34 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

has anyone tried the [NERD] NC NANO 9mm Brake - it has one up port. 1/2×28 and 1/2×36. weight is 1.84 ounces

Nano for sure. It’s super small, I got one and never used it. All I can see it doing is maybe make gun little louder to help timer pickup shot. 

I decided to give a comp a try and ordered the stainless Venom to pin on my current PCC build.  Based on how little the Venom weighs, I figured the worst that will happen is I might break even or perhaps shave a little bit of weight off the front end of a 14.5” barrel vs a 16” with a thread cap.  It will be awhile before I have the upper built and fully tested out but I’ll let people know how it goes once I have a good amount of experience with it.  

1 minute ago, Fo0 said:

how much comp is needed for a 16" 9mm

Not much, I can’t tell a difference between my JP 3-port and 2-port comp. I think most designs with a couple of baffles will work. The nano break doesn’t really have any baffle, it’s so small it’s just like a pointy thread protector. 

1 hour ago, HoMiE said:

Not much, I can’t tell a difference between my JP 3-port and 2-port comp. I think most designs with a couple of baffles will work. The nano break doesn’t really have any baffle, it’s so small it’s just like a pointy thread protector. 

what's the length measure on yours

7 hours ago, NPDriver said:

https://www.primaryweapons.com/product-url-5248 If anyone is looking for a deal on an inexpensive 9mm comp I came across these last night. 2.1" will be a bit short for my 8" barrel under my 8.5 FM products handguard but at this price I'm in. They have them in both 1/2×28 & 1/2×36 thread options. Ranier Arms was the only place I saw reviews but they were both positive. They look pretty cool and I know PWS makes quality stuff. I thought something was up with the site last night because it would not let me add it to my cart but it checked out this morning. 

Thanks. For the price I'm trying it. Single top port should do, the helix or whatever further out I doubt does anything.

10 hours ago, Beef15 said:

Thanks. For the price I'm trying it. Single top port should do, the helix or whatever further out I doubt does anything.

You're welcome! Just trying to pass along a good deal I stumbled across. For not much more than the price of a thread protector I was happy to give it a shot. That PWS pistol is almost identical to my Foxtrot Mike's build. Only difference being some of the machining on the lower, SBA3 brace & CMMG Guard bolt & barrel. If it works well enough for their products, it will be fine for my needs.