Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
cecil

which comp for 9mm PCC ?

Recommended Posts

https://fortismfg.com/ar15-fortis-muzzle-brake-9MM-nitride-28

 

 

I'm using the Fortis brake linked above...

 

Tried a couple of brakes on my original 16" barrel and couldn't really tell the difference...  Switched to a 14.5" barrel and used the Fortis brake...  Figured it's one of the lightest brakes and can be welded on...  and has a couple of vertical holes to the top...  Seems to increase the sound...  Good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, NPDriver said:

You're welcome! Just trying to pass along a good deal I stumbled across. For not much more than the price of a thread protector I was happy to give it a shot. That PWS pistol is almost identical to my Foxtrot Mike's build. Only difference being some of the machining on the lower, SBA3 brace & CMMG Guard bolt & barrel. If it works well enough for their products, it will be fine for my needs. 

 

I ordered on on Saturday myself. I also figured for the price I will see how it works. Just have a A2 flash hider on there now so has to be better than that. LOL If not it's only $20 and looks better.

Share this post


Link to post

One day at the range I tested a few comps including the JP and the Venom.  These two were my finalists with the Venom beating out the JP.  Less overall muzzle movement with the Venom. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/14/2019 at 1:44 PM, Rob01 said:

 

I ordered on on Saturday myself. I also figured for the price I will see how it works. Just have a A2 flash hider on there now so has to be better than that. LOL If not it's only $20 and looks better.

Mine showed up today! The free shipping option actually shipped UPS. I can see right away that I should have ordered their shim kit for an extra $5, but other than that I'm happy with it. Maybe just buy one of those jamnuts & be done with it. Very nicely finished although it's a little heavier than I expected. Now to get a few rounds run through this thing. If this snowstorm doesn't shutdown everything I'll hit the indoor range tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting about shipping. I picked free too. Did you get an email with tracking before it shipped? 

Share this post


Link to post

No sir, it just showed up on the front porch. I was wondering why I never got any kind of shipping info or notification myself. I was going to call Monday if nothing showed. I just got the initial email for creating an account, then another saying my order was accepted & being processed. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rob01 said:

Interesting about shipping. I picked free too. Did you get an email with tracking before it shipped? 

I didn't from PWS, but I have a UPS My Choice account so I got notice that way, with a delivery date 2/21, I think the day after I placed the order.

Share this post


Link to post

Well I guess we will see when they show up. Must be backlogged if not delivering until 2/21. 

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Rob01 said:

Well I guess we will see when they show up. Must be backlogged if not delivering until 2/21. 

Lots of companies getting ready or going to SHOT show so orders may be delayed with some smaller companies. 

Share this post


Link to post

Yup I understand that. Getting ready to head out there myself. 

Share this post


Link to post

Just got back from the range where I put 100 rounds through the new PWS comp. Not that it ever had much noticeable muzzle rise to begin with, but I was able to make quick followup shots and was never really moved off target. To be honest, I chalk that up more to the CMMG Guard bolt than I do any muzzle device. There just isn't that much weight cycling around to throw you off. You get the idea the comp itself isn't directing an abundance of burnt gasses when after 100 rounds it's only slightly warm to the touch, and you're not feeling anything, (no heat or bursts of gas) even though the handguard is mounted directly over the rear port. Keep in mind that this is only an 8" barrel under an 8.5" handguard. My 5.56 would need a few minutes to cool off before I'd think of throwing it in my range bag. So, in my personal opinion, yes it was worth $20 for a nicely machined & finished thread protector. It looks great peeking out from under my handguard and it was the final piece needed to complete my build. Now it's down to personal preference items, a light trigger pull with a clean break would be nice, quality optic, maybe that PWS buffer tube and some Cerakote work?. For now it's running great, 300 rounds down without a single failure so far.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rob01 said:

Well I guess we will see when they show up. Must be backlogged if not delivering until 2/21. 

Doh, 1/21. Sorry man. Made it to NC yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post

No problem. I am sure it will probably show up when i am at SHOT so will put it on when I return.

 

Might not help a lot but paired with the MBX buffer I am sure recoil will be low. Just replacing the buffer the other day at the range helped quite a bit and I didn't even start to play with it to tune it.

Share this post


Link to post

@NPDriver what are you running in your Guard’s bolt/buffer system? After 6 months of changing things once a month, I’ve gotten my 14.5” gun pretty much dead flat. Hammering 4 shots at 10yd puts them all about 2” apart.

 

Hydraulic 5oz buffer meant for a .308 carbine, JP 308 rifle spring, a wave spring and a short-stroking spacer in the back of the buffer tube.

 

Curious if you’ve done much tuning to the recoil system.

 

(Sure is jarring to go back to your buddies’ blowback guns though isn’t it? So much recoil. ;) )

 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Share this post


Link to post

I'm just running the Guard bolt & barrel in a Foxtrot Mike build kit. It came with everything but the charging handle, trigger & buffer system. I'm just using a standard carbine buffer assembly for now. I swiped the trigger, buffer & charging handle off my AR for the time being. The SBA3 brace I used came with a buffer tube, just had to buy a castle nut & QD endplate. I do need to drop the magazine in the magwell a bit with this setup. The lugs on the bolt are scraping the hell out of the cases. I just always insert the mag with the bolt open.

 

I think we were conversing on another thread a few weeks back, I was asking about that Armaspec captured buffer assembly, trying not to buy something that will ultimately end up in my parts bin. The whole reason we have parts bins is because we buy parts that suck. I'm just trying not to build a collection of buffers & springs.

 

I'm honestly fairly impressed with the standard carbine buffer, except for the noise. It runs great but I really have nothing to compare it to as I'm the only guy I know around here with a PCC. Fortunately based on the attention mine got today at the range I think that might be about to change. Lot of dudes had their grubby paws all over it today.

 

I was getting some great groups at 10 yards today too. My worst were around 5" when I was getting started, my best were all in a 1" square, I managed three of those somehow. Exceeded all of my own expectations by a long shot. 

Share this post


Link to post

Has anybody seen the new Taccom barrel that came out? It's like a lower cost version of the MBX Pro Series barrel that also 4 ports instead of 3. I'm curious on it and was thinking of trying it but I have other things first... https://taccom3g.com/product/extreme-feed-14-5-9mm-barrel-with-brake/

 

A lot of PCC guys that I've shot matches with seem to run 124gr loads now instead of 147gr. While they 147s are soft, I feel like they cycle a hair too slow and maybe that's why a lot of guys are switching and also the lack of gas created from the 147. I was even thinking F it and going for factory 115gr. It's a lot of trial and error really.

 

I ordered 1000 ibeji 125gr bullets to try out and see how they run on my rifle along with the newest blitzkrieg HD buffer and their 2.6oz weight. I'll try to get a full test done to hopefully shed some light on everything but there's so many variables!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, mellino19 said:

I ordered 1000 ibeji 125gr bullets to try out and see how they run on my rifle along with the newest blitzkrieg HD buffer and their 2.6oz weight. I'll try to get a full test done to hopefully shed some light on everything but there's so many variables!

 

 

I have run a bunch of Ibejihead 124's through mine and they worked great.

https://www.ibejiheads.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=36&osCsid=451a8cca1930511f9af3f665c21a4aa1

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, mellino19 said:

I ordered 1000 ibeji 125gr bullets to try out and see how they run on my rifle along with the newest blitzkrieg HD buffer and their 2.6oz weight. 

 

Finally made it to the range this afternoon.  It was the first chance I had to shoot my PCC with the Blitzkrieg short stroke weight installed. The weight seems tight inside the buffer tube and it moves sluggishly.   I cannot lock back the bolt (but that was expected). 

 

Shooting 134 PF loads I was unable to get the Hiperfire 24C trigger to reset.  100% failure rate.

 

FWIW, I'm running a 15.2 ounce bolt and JP .308 carbine length spring. No other spacers or wave springs installed.

 

Pulled the weight out and the gun runs without fail.  Hope to play with the weight this weekend to see what the problem is and if there is a cure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

 

Finally made it to the range this afternoon.  It was the first chance I had to shoot my PCC with the Blitzkrieg short stroke weight installed. The weight seems tight inside the buffer tube and it moves sluggishly.   I cannot lock back the bolt (but that was expected). 

 

Shooting 134 PF loads I was unable to get the Hiperfire 24C trigger to reset.  100% failure rate.

 

FWIW, I'm running a 15.2 ounce bolt and JP .308 carbine length spring. No other spacers or wave springs installed.

 

Pulled the weight out and the gun runs without fail.  Hope to play with the weight this weekend to see what the problem is and if there is a cure.

 

 

I used 400-1500 grit sandpaper and 000 steel wool to knock the diameter down on my blitzkrieg weight. After all that I still didn’t like the impulse it gave with red sprinco, jp carbine and rifle springs. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

 

Finally made it to the range this afternoon.  It was the first chance I had to shoot my PCC with the Blitzkrieg short stroke weight installed. The weight seems tight inside the buffer tube and it moves sluggishly.   I cannot lock back the bolt (but that was expected). 

 

Shooting 134 PF loads I was unable to get the Hiperfire 24C trigger to reset.  100% failure rate.

 

FWIW, I'm running a 15.2 ounce bolt and JP .308 carbine length spring. No other spacers or wave springs installed.

 

Pulled the weight out and the gun runs without fail.  Hope to play with the weight this weekend to see what the problem is and if there is a cure.

 

 

 I had 100% failure rate at first also with the weight installed on the regular Blitzkrieg RB5007 buffer but I also had the New Frontier spacer installed at the rear of the buffer (the little one). I got 1 round off with the 150gr Federal Syntech but it wasn't enough power to push the bolt back far enough to feed the next round...needless to say it was super soft! (once)

 

I pulled the NF spacer out and left all the Blitzkrieg stuff in and it ran like a champ with 147gr loads (I have to check PF still).

 

I have a CMC PCC trigger, JP bolt, Blitzkrieg RB5007 w/2.6oz added weight (308 carbine spring as well) and a Venom Defense comp right now and it's pretty flawless just a hair sluggish because of the slower rounds hence bringing up the idea of higher PF loads.

 

I ordered the new RB5015HD because I can't leave anything along and plan on testing it out soon; I'll have to take videos of all the testing and mixing components and post results.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Gregg K said:

I have run a bunch of Ibejihead 124's through mine and they worked great.

https://www.ibejiheads.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=36&osCsid=451a8cca1930511f9af3f665c21a4aa1

 

What load are you running?

 

I ordered the 125gr RN and use titegroup typically, the hodgdon site shows 3.6-4.1 grains so I'm thinking with pcc maybe start at 3.8 and trying it out.

 

I was originally just running the same loads I do for my handguns, 147gr Xtreme RN with 3.3 titegroup

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, mellino19 said:

 

 I had 100% failure rate at first also with the weight installed on the regular Blitzkrieg RB5007 buffer but I also had the New Frontier spacer installed at the rear of the buffer (the little one). I got 1 round off with the 150gr Federal Syntech but it wasn't enough power to push the bolt back far enough to feed the next round...needless to say it was super soft! (once)

 

I pulled the NF spacer out and left all the Blitzkrieg stuff in and it ran like a champ with 147gr loads (I have to check PF still).

 

I have a CMC PCC trigger, JP bolt, Blitzkrieg RB5007 w/2.6oz added weight (308 carbine spring as well) and a Venom Defense comp right now and it's pretty flawless just a hair sluggish because of the slower rounds hence bringing up the idea of higher PF loads.

 

I ordered the new RB5015HD because I can't leave anything along and plan on testing it out soon; I'll have to take videos of all the testing and mixing components and post results.

Let us now how it goes.

I am in the process of building a new lower, and I am considering rearranging my blitzkrieg setup a little.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, mellino19 said:

What load are you running?

 

I ordered the 125gr RN and use titegroup typically, the hodgdon site shows 3.6-4.1 grains so I'm thinking with pcc maybe start at 3.8 and trying it out.

 

I was originally just running the same loads I do for my handguns, 147gr Xtreme RN with 3.3 titegroup

I'm loading 3.5 gr of BE-86, it runs clean and is a little slower powder than Tightgroup. I like the slower powder for coated bullets.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/7/2019 at 10:15 AM, Startingover said:

Let us now how it goes.

I am in the process of building a new lower, and I am considering rearranging my blitzkrieg setup a little.

 

I'll keep you updated. I got the Ibejiheads yesterday along with the newest Blitzkrieg buffer and will load some up during the week and hopefully hit the range this sunday and video all my findings with each configuration.

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, NPDriver said:

Just got back from the range where I put 100 rounds through the new PWS comp. Not that it ever had much noticeable muzzle rise to begin with, but I was able to make quick followup shots and was never really moved off target. To be honest, I chalk that up more to the CMMG Guard bolt than I do any muzzle device. There just isn't that much weight cycling around to throw you off. You get the idea the comp itself isn't directing an abundance of burnt gasses when after 100 rounds it's only slightly warm to the touch, and you're not feeling anything, (no heat or bursts of gas) even though the handguard is mounted directly over the rear port. Keep in mind that this is only an 8" barrel under an 8.5" handguard. My 5.56 would need a few minutes to cool off before I'd think of throwing it in my range bag. So, in my personal opinion, yes it was worth $20 for a nicely machined & finished thread protector. It looks great peeking out from under my handguard and it was the final piece needed to complete my build. Now it's down to personal preference items, a light trigger pull with a clean break would be nice, quality optic, maybe that PWS buffer tube and some Cerakote work?. For now it's running great, 300 rounds down without a single failure so far.

Hey NPDriver, did you have to do anything to your mags or lower to get the CMMG bolt and work properly?  I had tried to build it up on my standard 9mm lower, but the bolt was hitting the back of the mags.  When I called CMMG, they said that I would have to move the mag catch on mags so they would sit lower, or file down my mag catch in the receiver to get it to the right height.  

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...