Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

which comp for 9mm PCC ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

MBX now has a light weight version of there 14.5 with the comp pinned and welded. There comp is one of the few that doesn't just look like a recycled 223 brake. Got mine yesterday, full length barrel 17.5 oz

1 hour ago, sweatpants said:

Any updates from the guys with the new Taccom CF/braked barrel or T&N Cannibal users?

My 13.5" with the pinned brake still works great. I probably have  1k-2k rounds through it now.  Had a couple magazine problems last week with the 57 round magazine but I just got a new MBX spring and it should be good to go.  

1 hour ago, sweatpants said:

Any updates from the guys with the new Taccom CF/braked barrel or T&N Cannibal users?

I have the Cannibal on a 16" 9,

Wanted it to show me something but it didn't.

It actually seems to be quiet. I had 3 re shoots at a recent big steel match.

RO's were experienced PCC guys so they were not the problem

29 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

I have the Cannibal on a 16" 9,

Wanted it to show me something but it didn't.

It actually seems to be quiet. I had 3 re shoots at a recent big steel match.

RO's were experienced PCC guys so they were not the problem

I've had this problem with both the Venom brake and JP brake previously mentioned on this post; between a 16" barrel and running reloads that aren't as powerful as factory ammo, PCCs can be fairly quiet and setting up a shot timer just right so it records your shots and not people in the next pit is a pain, it seems to be a growing issue. Of  course RO could run almost right on top of you but that could get bothersome and unsafe even.

I had 2 re-shoots at my last match because of it.

Although if you run full power factory ammo the comp/brake would be doing its job more I would imagine with the gasses being produced.

1 hour ago, JsK said:

MBX now has a light weight version of there 14.5 with the comp pinned and welded. There comp is one of the few that doesn't just look like a recycled 223 brake. Got mine yesterday, full length barrel 17.5 oz

Like, within the past few weeks? I feel like this barrel has been sold out for ages.

9 hours ago, sweatpants said:

I'm liking mine a lot.  Nice and nimble on transitions, accuracy has been spot on.  Don't really know if the comp is having much effect, but I'm fine with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

I saw that MBX has a new lightweight barrel with their new style comp on it. Does anybody have any experience with this set up?

I know I've mentioned the Venom brakes in the past but given the nature of PCC especially with reloads, the MBX brake would seem to be ideal with how the direct gas, or maybe even the PWS comp however I'm super curious on the MBX barrel and comp setup since I can't leave anything alone.

1 hour ago, dmshozer1 said:

PERIOD!

It made a sublte yet significant difference on mine:

Look at the .308 hyrdo buffer and red spring: with and without a comp. It is night and day.

Afterward I slowly enlarged the ports with a drill until the rifle shot totally flat.

Once I got the gun dialed in, I shot it one last time without a comp before chopping the barrel down to 14” and doing a pin & weld. The muzzle rise came right back. It’s doing something to kill that last little bit of muzzle rise.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
1 hour ago, lacivilian said:

Not true at all... if you think this you should probably swap to a slower powder and try shooting something hotter than 125pf. It DOES make a difference. 

Ah yes but how much difference?

Why change powder to get a higher p.f. to get a comp to work a little bit when my fast WST gives me

a very soft, accurate gun to shoot?

Knocks down full size poppers out to 20 yds.

I'm happy.

2 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

Why change powder to get a higher p.f. to get a comp to work a little bit when my fast WST gives me

I'm happy.

Oh I completely agree that it doesn't make a HUGE difference but a very noticeable difference can be noticed. Dot tracking and recoil impulse matters tremendously in a division so fast. Just because you don't want the advantage doesn't me it doesn't exist or that you should post that comps don't matter. 

2 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

I'm happy.

Softness is irrelevant to winning.

I’m a grown man shooting a handgun off my shoulder. Give me a hard punch to the shoulder, but the ability to rip a .14 split off at 15 yards and have the holes tightly inside the A because the gun is dead flat? I’m down. That’s what I did.

A lot of what we do in PCC is like Open; making the gun hit you quite a bit harder, but it cycles flatter. Short-stroking them is a good example of this.

On 11/29/2018 at 2:36 PM, mellino19 said:

Hey all,

I saw that MBX has a new lightweight barrel with their new style comp on it. Does anybody have any experience with this set up?

I know I've mentioned the Venom brakes in the past but given the nature of PCC especially with reloads, the MBX brake would seem to be ideal with how the direct gas, or maybe even the PWS comp however I'm super curious on the MBX barrel and comp setup since I can't leave anything alone.

I have one coming Monday, but to be honest I bought it more for its 16" overall length with a pinned brake for sound pickup purposes mores than expecting the brake to really flatten out the barrel.  I got the MBX because I somehow bent the Taccom Featherweight that I had that had the same sort of overall length with a pinned brake.

Thing is, I see the whole brake thing as sort of either/or.....in that you would probably notice more effect if you loaded some hot ammo, but then you'd also be increasing your recoil and maybe dot bounce as well.  But then if you load down your ammo power, you get less recoil and can maybe tame the reciprocating mass, but then there's essentially nothing going through the brake.  For me the brake has most value of diverting sound enough for the timer to pick up in competition, especially outdoors.  And of course, it looks cool too. 😉

As Memphis points out, I guess recoil isn't a big deal as long as it's straight back and the muzzle stays flat.  But I'm just shooting regular factory ammo for now. 

Edited by MoRivera
2 hours ago, lacivilian said:

Oh I completely agree that it doesn't make a HUGE difference but a very noticeable difference can be noticed. Dot tracking and recoil impulse matters tremendously in a division so fast. Just because you don't want the advantage doesn't me it doesn't exist or that you should post that comps don't matter. 

We agree to disagree,

The great majority of shooters on this forum have said comps do nothing on a 9 rifle.

I agree with them and have the right to say so.

Done

9 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

We agree to disagree,

The great majority of shooters on this forum have said comps do nothing on a 9 rifle.

I agree with them and have the right to say so.

Done

The national champion, the #2 guy, and another PCCer who won at least three majors this year? All of them care about compensator design and tuning.

I don’t care what “2nd PCC B-class at his local match” has to say about the importance of compensators, and those are the guys waxing philosophical in this forum all day long.

No comps don’t do much in 9mm rifles. But a litle extra stabilization of the gun goes a long way when everything else has been optimized.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

No comps don’t do much in 9mm riflesBut a litle extra stabilization of the gun goes a long way when everything else has been optimized.

This.

I run 2-completely different PCC's & have pretty much since the start. Tuned with Taccom 3-stage short stroke buffers & loads.

One is a ULW Taccom 5" barrel with aluminum  tube/CF handguard. Weighs a little over 5#. Second is a JP 14.5" with pinned JP Tac comp/CF handguard @ about 6.5#. Although the recoil is not much different or dot movement t I find with the lighter one I tend to swing faster and sometimes past being so light & fast. The heavier JP with the comp at the end tends to settle quicker and be a more stable especially for longer more precise shots. 

gerritm

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The national champion, the #2 guy, and another PCCer who won at least three majors this year? All of them care about compensator design and tuning.

I don’t care what “2nd PCC B-class at his local match” has to say about the importance of compensators, and those are the guys waxing philosophical in this forum all day long.

No comps don’t do much in 9mm rifles. But a litle extra stabilization of the gun goes a long way when everything else has been optimized.

I will agree that top competitors need every little bit they can get,

I also think that the little bit they get from a comp means little if they win or not.

I did not realize you are so high and mighty to think a lowly b class shooter cannot be savy about the

gun they shoot.

10 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

I did not realize you are so high and mighty to think a lowly b class shooter cannot be savy about the gun they shoot.

Countless posts trying to figure out “how to make a PCC shoot more softly” give lie to your attempt to classify them as having worthwhile advice.

Flatness matters.  Softness doesn’t.