Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sig MPX ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, BartCarter said:

Looks like the typical "we don't have it yet, but will sometime in the future, so sign up so we can sell it as soon as they are shipping to dealers" ploy.

Anyone know what these will weigh?

... yeah no. We received a couple and sold them quickly. The photos were shot in house. 

I haven't heard anything about updated gas system. Mostly cosmetic changes... and there's apparently more in the works including FDE carbines (duh) as well as a 3.5" K model according to one source on the MPX Owners FB page. 

...meanwhile I just bought a backup Gen 1. 

Buddy of mine has one from the link posted above on the way... Interested to see it but I am unsure on some of the changes:

• 16" barrel + comp = not convinced on this I am happy with the 13.7" + The MBX comp on my current 2
  • New hand-guard = not convinced on this I am happy with the lancer Carbon fiber on my current 2

1 hour ago, 2011BLDR said:

Buddy of mine has one from the link posted above on the way... Interested to see it but I am unsure on some of the changes:

• 16" barrel + comp = not convinced on this I am happy with the 13.7" + The MBX comp on my current 2
  • New hand-guard = not convinced on this I am happy with the lancer Carbon fiber on my current 2

I agree on the 16" barrel. Why would you want an even LONGER OAL just so you could "choose your own comp" Seems like you'd want to cut it down and have it P&W'd anyways. I could see the benefit to a 3-gunner in the PCC class who wants more velocity and can load to take advantage of it, but for USPSA.... meh. IMO it was a move to speed up/cut costs on the production line. No more pinning and welding to deal with. 

Also, the new HG is pretty nice AND it's not another $200-ish you have to spend like you do for the Lancer. 

From what I can see, it looks like the new HG won't be backwards compatible anyways, as the new upper receiver is supposed to have a longer rail section up top. 

Edited by Acer2428
22 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

I agree on the 16" barrel. Why would you want an even LONGER OAL just so you could "choose your own comp" Seems like you'd want to cut it down and have it P&W'd anyways. I could see the benefit to a 3-gunner in the PCC class who wants more velocity and can load to take advantage of it, but for USPSA.... meh. IMO it was a move to speed up/cut costs on the production line. No more pinning and welding to deal with. 

Also, the new HG is pretty nice AND it's not another $200-ish you have to spend like you do for the Lancer

From what I can see, it looks like the new HG won't be backwards compatible anyways, as the new upper receiver is supposed to have a longer rail section up top. 

I don't currently have any velocity problems in the 13.7" my go to loads are 115gr JHP over either VV N340 or 3N37 @ 1410fps that matches the Speer 115gr TMJ @ 1410fps that is my go to factory loading... used 13.7" for 2 AZ state matches so far with farthest shots @165-187 yrds.

I would estimate the 16" barrel would put those loads above 1500fps ...

I don’t believe there are any changes that are not backwards and forwards compatible with the existing Gen 2 guns:

·        No name change ( i.e. Gen 3, Virtus, ect..)

·        Looking at the pictures the upper is the same length to the hand guard separation point

·        The hand guard exhibits no additional attachment hardware added

For me I really don’t care for the hand guard there are some things that just wouldn’t work for me:

·        Don’t care for the taper on the 6 o’clock surface getting wider and angled down toward the muzzle

·        Don’t care for the little section of 1913 rail on the 12 o’clock left all the way forward. it’s too far forward for a laser for me and I would never put Iron sights on this platform ( for me that is the only thing this could be used for)

I am neutral on the barrel 16”:

+ Lets you play with different comps without pinning and welding

-        Additional swept bore and dwell time past the 13.7” of the old barrels. This will help people that ran higher presser ammo (NATO, Speer LE TMJ, European spec) or reloaded with medium -slower powders ( N340 , 3N37, Silhouette, ect..). Going to really hurt the people that run lower presser ammo ( SAMI spec, AE, WWB, anything aluminum cased, ect..)  or reloaded with fast powders

-        Old barrels were 13.7” with pinned and welded FH for 16.25” . New barrel is 16” + 1.75” to 2”  ( a MBX is even lounger adding 2.5") comp so getting close to 18”. I don’t know about the rest of the ranges but our local MD’s have started putting down tight to the walls shooting areas ( 18”-24”) that force a PCC to break the gun totally out of your shoulder  to maneuver inside of so an extra 1.75”-2” is a critical thing

Edited by 2011BLDR

I got the new MPX Competition model a few days ago. Timney trigger is heavier than the Timney trigger in my existing MPX. Lighter weight is noticeable, although I have the Lancer handguard on my current MPX. 

First range session today, and I easily got a 510C zeroed. Used a 30 round OEM mag, 30 plus Taran and 30 plus the TF 20, and experienced no stoppages using American Eagle 115 factory. This was good, as previous MPX rifles have required a break in period. No idea about whether the gas system was modified, and I didn’t take it apart further than replacing the charging handle. 

Just bought one of the new "PCC" models today for a deal I couldn't pass up... Looks like gas system is the exact same design as the G2, but I don't have a previous G2 to see if there's been any minor tweaks to port dimensions...

In reality, looks to be the exact same G2 design, but in a new configuration / model. Trigger is very crisp w/ no perceptible creep & an acceptable amount of over travel (Typical Tinmey "feel", but far less creep than the gold housing "Competition" model I have on one of my AR's), but it is a lot heavier than I'd prefer, which probably accounts for why it has no perceptible creep... Slimmer & lighter hand guard is a very welcome improvement, as well as the removable brake (although I never plan on removing it).

Shot 150 rounds to briefly check things out, no issues at all & no weird gouges / dents in chambered rounds after I extracted them without firing. Brake does appear to add a bit of tangible function over what I remember from shooting my buddy's G2 carbine model w/ the pinned on flash hider a few months ago; however, this could easily be confirmation bias as well. We'll see 

I'm scared to look into the bore to check how bad the radial machining marks are, as I know how crappy every bore looks on a mass produced factory barrel... If the outside of the barrel is any indication, I'm expecting to see a whole lot of radial ridges in the bore as well, assuming the barrel is button rifled.

The only very annoying thing is how loose the hand guard is to the upper receiver... There's about 0.050" of free playing "wiggle" at the end of the hand guard when pushing it against the barrel... 

Edited by SPL15

Competition also has a re-designed bolt carrier and recoil spring assembly. Also changed the rear rubber bumper. 

New charging handle, and added a tab to the rear piece of the recoil assembly that fits into a new groove on the lower that isn't present on the Gen 2s. Probably this was done because of the complaints of 1.) the charging handle latch breaking and 2.) the charging handle gouging the lower. 

I also read somewhere Rob from In Lead We Trust, measure the gas port and the PCC was larger than the Gen 2 but still smaller than the Gen 1. Sorry can't find the blog where I read that. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 6:10 AM, George16 said:

He’s just trying to rack up some posts.

Anyway, just picked up my new MPX from my FFL yesterday and will be going to the range for some testing today. It’s an 8” barreled pistol bought directly from the Sig Pro shop so I can avail myself of their military discount and free shipping.

We’ll see how it goes. I’ll feed it with factory federal 115 Gr ammo first then try my reloads of 124 Gr FMJ with 4.2 Gr Winchester 231. I also ordered a Timney single stage 3 lb trigger made for the MPX from brownells

In regards to the Timney 3lb trigger you just purchased from Brownells.......I installed the same trigger in my Gen 2 and after 4,000 rounds or so I started having trouble.  The problem with the trigger is that it started not to reset after every shot.  I called Timney about the problem since I live here in Phoenix and the first words out of their mouth were bring it over and we will replace it.  They replaced my 681 series timney trigger with the 4.5lb 683 series trigger which is the same one that they are putting in the new MPX PCC.  Haven't shot it yet but it feels about the same as the 3lb trigger.  I got the feeling that I was not the first to experience problems after using the trigger for a while.  I wrote at review about that experience at Brownells and they did not publish it. I think if you look at Timney's web site they now list the 683 series trigger as the only choice for the MPX. One of the really nice things about Brownells is their return policy if you have a problem with something you bought there.  The downside is the hassle.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with their new MPX PCC.  I have an urge to buy one and change my other gen II over to an SBR.

Good luck,

Z

15 minutes ago, zdog said:

In regards to the Timney 3lb trigger you just purchased from Brownells.......I installed the same trigger in my Gen 2 and after 4,000 rounds or so I started having trouble.  The problem with the trigger is that it started not to reset after every shot.  I called Timney about the problem since I live here in Phoenix and the first words out of their mouth were bring it over and we will replace it.  They replaced my 681 series timney trigger with the 4.5lb 683 series trigger which is the same one that they are putting in the new MPX PCC.  Haven't shot it yet but it feels about the same as the 3lb trigger.  I got the feeling that I was not the first to experience problems after using the trigger for a while.  I wrote at review about that experience at Brownells and they did not publish it. I think if you look at Timney's web site they now list the 683 series trigger as the only choice for the MPX. One of the really nice things about Brownells is their return policy if you have a problem with something you bought there.  The downside is the hassle.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with their new MPX PCC.  I have an urge to buy one and change my other gen II over to an SBR.

Good luck,

Z

Damn, that’s not good news. I wish Brownells published your review for everyone to read because if I would have known that, I might have second thoughts about buying the Timney trigger for my MPX.

Get the pistol and SBR it using E-file in ATF’s website. It took 17 days for my stamp to get approved. I filed on November 12 and got approved on November 29. That’s with the thanksgiving holidays in between. It’s very quick and simple compared to submitting your paperwork the traditional way which takes about 6-9 months if you get lucky.

So far, I have about 1300 rounds down range without any problems (knock on wood). It’s been eating my reloads using PD JHP using 4.2 Gr of Win 231@1.128-1.130 OAL. It also didn’t have any problems with the FMJ FP and RN from RMR that I shoot with my CZs. 

I have the 683 in my gen2 mpx. I previously had a Calvin Elite but it was starting to double so I knew the writing was on the wall. Of course the poundage is greater with the 683 but the feel is acceptable. The reset on mine is super positive, it almost stings my finger pad it snaps back so firmly. The 683 I ordered direct from Timney did not have the bridge in it and the install directions were not truly gun and model specific. A phone call got me the bridge mailed priority and just using my brain fixed the latter.

1 hour ago, rowdyb said:

I have the 683 in my gen2 mpx. I previously had a Calvin Elite but it was starting to double so I knew the writing was on the wall. Of course the poundage is greater with the 683 but the feel is acceptable. The reset on mine is super positive, it almost stings my finger pad it snaps back so firmly. The 683 I ordered direct from Timney did not have the bridge in it and the install directions were not truly gun and model specific. A phone call got me the bridge mailed priority and just using my brain fixed the latter.

I recall the guy at Timney who installed my new series 683 trigger which replaces my 681 trigger mentioned that Timney had added or was it strengthened  the recoil spring and increased the tigger pull to 4.5 lbs to make Sig happy.  I asked Sig customer service about buying just the 16 inch barrel that goes with their new PCC version and he said it was not yet available but he thought it would be at some point.   For what thats worth.

On 8/8/2018 at 10:09 PM, Smithcity said:

Keep shooting it. Mine ran well for the first 3000-5000 rounds. Hope you got lucky and yours continues to work! It sounds like this "Gen 3" might have a different gas system. If they do I hope it is backwards compatible w/ the gen 2's. 

Man I have 12k plus on mine and it runs just fine. I have had the JP and CZ, shot almost every AR based PCC out there an nothing comes close to the Sig . Granted you must clean it every 1000 -1200 rounds but I compete with it so this is expected. I have opened up the feed ramps on my back up Sig but it took all of 15 minutes.

5 hours ago, NinerRider said:

Man I have 12k plus on mine and it runs just fine. I have had the JP and CZ, shot almost every AR based PCC out there an nothing comes close to the Sig . Granted you must clean it every 1000 -1200 rounds but I compete with it so this is expected. I have opened up the feed ramps on my back up Sig but it took all of 15 minutes.

Glad it is working well for you. I have a sample space of 6 mpx's, 5 of the 6 have problems. Glad yours isnt one of the lemons.

just got my malfunctioning jam o matic back from sig. They fired a few rounds through it and told me it's all good. Didnt do anything to fix it. Claimed the groves dug into the upper by the cam pin is normal. 

going to try some higher strength recoil springs. If those dont do the trick im done with the mpx.

Edited by Smithcity
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:09 PM, Smithcity said:

Keep shooting it. Mine ran well for the first 3000-5000 rounds. Hope you got lucky and yours continues to work! It sounds like this "Gen 3" might have a different gas system. If they do I hope it is backwards compatible w/ the gen 2's. 

I'm at 12K through it now and it still runs everything. It even runs 93 PF 95 grain loads for steel as well as 124 grain loads at 145 PF. The trigger is the only thing I changed that could change cycling, I have a Hiperfire Eclipse. I do clean it very well every 1K or so including the gas system in an ultrasonic. The 308 AR chamber brush works well for cleaning out the crud in the locking lugs.

11 minutes ago, Gregg K said:

I'm at 12K through it now and it still runs everything. It even runs 93 PF 95 grain loads for steel as well as 124 grain loads at 145 PF. The trigger is the only thing I changed that could change cycling, I have a Hiperfire Eclipse. I do clean it very well every 1K or so including the gas system in an ultrasonic. The 308 AR chamber brush works well for cleaning out the crud in the locking lugs.

Cleaning my “MPX”.  I have found that if I remove the “barrel” I can push a “magazine” cleaning brush clear throght the action and get it really clean.  No more q-tips.

Is anyone else having trouble posting while using their IPAD?  You will notice that I had to put key words in the above post in parentheses or my IPAD Locks up.

Edited by zdog
Grammer