Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shock Buff questions

DVC502

Just a few questions about shock buffs 

I am running them in my 40 cal STI Trojan and DVC Limited Inuse the Wilson Combat running 12lb recoil springs shooting 180 grain factory ammo my questions are as follows:

what at are the true benefits to them 

how often do you replace seems like they only get about 1500 rounds on my Trojan 

noticed my shock buff buff was really bad when cleaning my gun after a match today never had them cause an issue with the Gun but worried a failure may cause problems I. The middle of a match 

I change my buff once every 3 matches and always right before a major match.  Sometimes after a long live fire practice.  I haven't let one " wear out" so I don't know an approximate round count.  They are cheap enough in the bulk packs I just don't try to max their life cycle.

I've good luck with them for 9mm.  I ran them in my 5.4" Infinity with a Dawson Alumabuff in front of it.  It kept them from getting cut, but they did elongate after a few thousand rounds.  Shred turned me onto that technique for short stroking a gun, but Brandon always bitched at me for doing it.  

21 hours ago, DVC502 said:

how often do you replace seems like they only get about 1500 rounds on my Trojan

I'm lucky I get 1,000 rounds, but I'm running 10/11 lb springs. And if they get tattered or bulge too much, they do cause issues. But like stated, they are cheap enough to replace frequently.

I’ve been using the cp brand buffs for years

i change the one in my open gun annually 

in my limited its sandwiched between the guide rod and a alumbuff 

in all the years I’ve used them, I never had one cut or fall apart

I assume the 'theory" is that it reduces the shock when the slide gets to the end of the rearward travel.  I've used them since they first appeared and have had no trouble in multiple guns with them.  I do watch and replace when they appear to possibly be getting a little depression in them.  This will vary between guns.

I run them in both major and minor guns. Deadens the blow and as mentioned above it shortens the stroke just a tad. I don’t think they are necessary per say but cheap and so long as you replace them somewhat regularly you shouldn’t have any issues. Little extra piece of mind when running lighter springs too. 

i use them on cz 75  from 1986(  i made them  by myself. )  j941 and  1911 for 9mm  minor .

cheaper change  them every 1k  than  brake slide . it's  reduce  impact forces  between metal parts. that's why glock slide can hold more that 300k

its simple rule     m v\t

Edited by yigal

They can die on you at any time. I run one in practice in major cal Gun only. Leave it out when I clean Gun for match. Clip a new one to zipper pull of Gun rug and install before practice. NEVER in a carry gun. Ymmv

Have been on both sides of using or not using them. Always used the blue Wilson’s. Never had any shred or cause a malfunction, but I check them when I clean my competition guns. Maybe every 4-500 rounds. Always changed them out at the beginning of each shooting season. Now that I’m shooting Open, I’m going to replace them every few months because my 9Major gun is clearly the most “stressed” pistol I’ve ever run as far as wear and tear being obvious on the gun!

I do run the Wilsons howevr I think I am going to quit use it them only get about 1000 rounds on 1 before the7 start falling apart I know they are cheep however don’t like anything that cause cause issues with my gun 

On 2/19/2018 at 4:43 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Why add another variable to your gun that will fail and cause problems. 1911/2011 guns were designed to function reliably without a shock buff, even when using really light recoil springs.

Hard to argue with this!!!!!

Before I switched to the aluminum ones I used the black ones and the blue ones. These don’t last long and had caused problems affecting the cycling on the gun. 

Then I started to use the CP buffs (off white ones). They are tough and never had a problem with those. 

On 2/19/2018 at 11:43 PM, CHA-LEE said:

Why add another variable to your gun that will fail and cause problems. 1911/2011 guns were designed to function reliably without a shock buff, even when using really light recoil springs.

1911 was designed   without bull barrel and revers plug . reverse plug weaken slide in this particular place that suffer from impact , to compensate this use 

good quality  buffer and slide will hold much more.

to run gun 100% reliably it need  good care. 

On 2/25/2018 at 10:16 PM, yigal said:

1911 was designed   without bull barrel and revers plug . reverse plug weaken slide in this particular place that suffer from impact , to compensate this use 

good quality  buffer and slide will hold much more.

to run gun 100% reliably it need  good care. 

Really.............. So all of the 1911/2011 manufactures that sell Bull Barrel / Reverse plug guns without shock buffs is doing it wrong because that configuration is somehow evolved into an unreliable setup and the manufactures accidentally missed that? I think not.

Here are a couple of facts. Stuff breaks regardless of using a shock buff or not. In the food chain of "Stuff that breaks or fails" the shock buff is way higher on the list than frames or slides breaking.

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

Really.............. So all of the 1911/2011 manufactures that sell Bull Barrel / Reverse plug guns without shock buffs is doing it wrong because that configuration is somehow evolved into an unreliable setup and the manufactures accidentally missed that? I think not.

Here are a couple of facts. Stuff breaks regardless of using a shock buff or not. In the food chain of "Stuff that breaks or fails" the shock buff is way higher on the list than frames or slides breaking.

every metal that suffer from impact  and don't have  efficient safety factor will brake.

probably u forgot the rule of impact;) that means that if impact time between metals will be more it will live much longer. that's the mission for buffer.

great us gunsmiths from 80s   recommended  to use them and they   was not idiots.;)

changing cheap buffer that cost 1$ much better than breaking  slide after 30k.

1 hour ago, yigal said:

every metal that suffer from impact  and don't have  efficient safety factor will brake.

probably u forgot the rule of impact;) that means that if impact time between metals will be more it will live much longer. that's the mission for buffer.

great us gunsmiths from 80s   recommended  to use them and they   was not idiots.;)

changing cheap buffer that cost 1$ much better than breaking  slide after 30k.

I was just speaking with a gun builder about this yesterday. He told me that they are not needed. He recommendeds them to help save against really hot ammo. Not store bought hot but stupid over any listed data hot. Like almost crazy mistake load hot. 

I'm currently using one but doubt I will keep doing so. I've never used one and while I think they do lessen the impact, I know of several folks that have 50k rounds thru there major guns that don't use them, so it's kinda hard for me to believe they really save a slide/fame.