Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Concern about new STI DVC

Angus46

Update to all and wanted to say thanks for all the help.  

I got a call last week and they indicated problems with the specs of the barell that was originally in the gun, so they are fitting a new one, getting it coated and supposed to send it back in a few weeks.  So will be a while before I’m ready to use it in competition but still excited to see what it can do and I get a chance to practice with it a bit.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Angus46 said:

Update to all and wanted to say thanks for all the help.  

I got a call last week and they indicated problems with the specs of the barell that was originally in the gun, so they are fitting a new one, getting it coated and supposed to send it back in a few weeks.  So will be a while before I’m ready to use it in competition but still excited to see what it can do and I get a chance to practice with it a bit.  

Very good!  Glad to see them resolve the issue!

I really don't see how their push to mass produced guns in the "custom gun" price range doesn't end badly.  Their warranty department seems swamped, I forget how long it took to get my gun back but it was well beyond the estimate I was given prior to sending it in..  

Edited by tha1000

2 hours ago, tha1000 said:

I really don't see how their push to mass produced guns in the "custom gun" price range doesn't end badly.  Their warranty department seems swamped, I forget how long it took to get my gun back but it was well beyond the estimate I was given prior to sending it in..  

It's already eating into their sales I think. I wonder if people getting wise to their "semi custom gun prices for production guns" was part of their reason for making the Hawk. Appeal to a broader less discerning audience maybe.

3 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

It's already eating into their sales I think. I wonder if people getting wise to their "semi custom gun prices for production guns" was part of their reason for making the Hawk. Appeal to a broader less discerning audience maybe.

They killed the eagle and every 1911 that isn’t the DVC model. I’m not sure they’ve figured anything out. 

What do y'all think about the new DVC Omni that's coming out?  Would y'all purchase one, or go with Atlas or Tommy Guns etc..?

Or should I ask, is their too of the line guns gtg?

Reason I ask, is because I loved watching the vids of the Omni.  Hardly any recoil at all, with the Comp it has.  And I really want one. 

But, for that kind of money, ya want right the 1st time and every time.  At best it's a crap shoot?

13 minutes ago, Sigke said:

What do y'all think about the new DVC Omni that's coming out?  Would y'all purchase one, or go with Atlas or Tommy Guns etc..?

Reason I ask, is because I loved watching the vids of the Omni.  Hardly any recoil at all, with the Comp it has.  And I really want one. 

But, for that kind of money, ya want right the 1st time and every time.  At best it's a crap shoot?

buy once cry once????? Lmao   I have an sti , its been reliable... but I also have an akai on order as well....

While it appears that STI have a great warranty service (and it really looks like they need it), this is pretty useless for overseas customers. 
My Edge has given me nothing but trouble (starting from a badly-timed barrel which regularly split the barrel link) - and in my country there is absolutely nobody who is capable of sorting it out. STI has a good reputation internationally, but I could never recommend one in good faith - my latest 2011 is a custom build which cost little more than a DVC - and from a 'smith who will stand by his work, no matter what. Sending a gun for repairs to neighboring Italy is one thing, sending it half the world away to the US is something very different.

9 hours ago, Cliveb said:

While it appears that STI have a great warranty service (and it really looks like they need it), this is pretty useless for overseas customers. 
My Edge has given me nothing but trouble (starting from a badly-timed barrel which regularly split the barrel link) - and in my country there is absolutely nobody who is capable of sorting it out. STI has a good reputation internationally, but I could never recommend one in good faith - my latest 2011 is a custom build which cost little more than a DVC - and from a 'smith who will stand by his work, no matter what. Sending a gun for repairs to neighboring Italy is one thing, sending it half the world away to the US is something very different.

+1

in my country if u will change even spring or make better trigger pull and from some reason something will happen to the gun, ours distributor

will blame the owner and eliminate the warranty .  and u will stack with  nice piece of metal without pro gunsmith. 

Edited by yigal

23 hours ago, Sigke said:

I think it looks like a really fun gun that isn't sure what it wants to be when it grows up. It doesn't really fit into any competitive category. If you are just using it as a range toy I'm sure it is a blast. I have a DVC and was really excited about the island barrels, but eventually I decided to go with an Atlas sight block (Nemesis). If you are ready to get a top of the line STI you might as well save a little more to get a metal grip, which changes the entire personality of the gun and will let you take full advantage of that island barrel and comp, but then your in "Custom" $ territory.

1 hour ago, Moloch38 said:

I think it looks like a really fun gun that isn't sure what it wants to be when it grows up. It doesn't really fit into any competitive category. If you are just using it as a range toy I'm sure it is a blast. I have a DVC and was really excited about the island barrels, but eventually I decided to go with an Atlas sight block (Nemesis). If you are ready to get a top of the line STI you might as well save a little more to get a metal grip, which changes the entire personality of the gun and will let you take full advantage of that island barrel and comp, but then your in "Custom" $ territory.

Thanx so much.  I appreciate your insight and info.  I think for what I would be doing the gun would be I just fine.  I wander though, if the msrp is going to be $3999, what may we see the actual price winding up as?  I realize it possible to sell at msrp as well.  '

On February 27, 2018 at 1:44 PM, yigal said:

maybe  it was a  telephone technician  that answer the phone .:lol:

Ryan Youngblood is the warranty claim person. I'm quite positive he doesn't like me as they're very familiar with me... 

My Limited gun has an STI frame and (I think) an STI slide, but it was custom assembled by Triangle Shooting Sports (Benny Hill) and is completely amazing.

People have been talking for years that guns coming directly from STI are going to need some more love before they are GTG, which is really sad if you think about it, especially if you are buying a competition gun. Add to that the prices they are charging, and it makes you wonder why anyone would buy directly from them.

On 1/21/2018 at 11:01 PM, yigal said:

what's going on there in sti? too many orders and they don't have time to make perfect fit for custom guns?

to have good reputation take many years and spoil it enough few pic. like this. 

I got a good laugh at the picture of the sti that had the sight put on backwards!  I was shooting my dvc limited 9mm yesterday that only has about 3000 rounds down the pipe and the front sight fell out!  Those 6 inch plates were tough to hit with no front sight!  This is after I had to  fix several other issues with this gun to get it to run out of the box.   Come on STI.... you are making us look bad in front of the CZ and Tanfoglio shooters....  this dvc cost almost as much as some of my custom guns built by Virgil Tripp.  Virgil, if you are reading this, your old company could use some help!  

Edited by JD40

While it appears that STI have a great warranty service

No, not really.

They've had my DVC open since the first of November 2017 for a cracked comp. The latest excuse for not having it repaired was "hey, we broke off one of the screws for the optic mount and don't have any spares on hand...we'll get some on Monday".

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with these kind of problems from outside the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, TeedOff said:

No, not really.

They've had my DVC open since the first of November 2017 for a cracked comp. The latest excuse for not having it repaired was "hey, we broke off one of the screws for the optic mount and don't have any spares on hand...we'll get some on Monday".

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to deal with these kind of problems from outside the US.

primitive gunsmiths  in Afganistan  can make Kalashnikov from piece of metal without any modern machines and electrical power .:o

imagine what they can make with STI equipment.:lol:

On 3/19/2018 at 2:15 AM, TeedOff said:

No, not really.

Wow! Sorry to hear that. This is getting silly. It's a pity as their older guns are well put together.

Outside the US is even more difficult. Some places like Germany are not bad at all, because their agent is a competitive shooter and will go out of his way to help, but here in Malta it's a complete non-starter.

6 hours ago, Cliveb said:

Wow! Sorry to hear that. This is getting silly. It's a pity as their older guns are well put together.

Outside the US is even more difficult. Some places like Germany are not bad at all, because their agent is a competitive shooter and will go out of his way to help, but here in Malta it's a complete non-starter.

unfortunately not only in Malta.