Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intentionally taking a mike

mwray

I’ve tried finding the answer in the rule book and couldn’t so here I am with a question. On our last stage yesterday we had a target that was all covered up with no shoots except for exactly 25% of the lower Azone. A lot of people would pump a round into a barrel beside the target. One guy shot the ground about 25 yards in front of the target. So how close does the round have to impact near the target to count as truly engaging the target?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I have seen shooters really trying miss badly, if the round(s) were in a safe direction generally in the direction of the target in question, it is hard to give a FTSA.

Shooting the barrel, I agree is a bit much, but...

The competitor will take the misses and avoid the potential for a -10 penalty for the no-shoot (s). I see this no different than competitors who will go for upper A/B zones to avoid a tight shot on the lower A-zone. The penalty may not be worth the risk.

Jay

1 hour ago, mwray said:

One guy shot the ground about 25 yards in front of the target. 

Total target presentation is 25% of the A zone at what distance?   Stage designed by a bullseye or PCC shooter?  I guess it would be similar to an 8" plate in front of a no shoot at the same distance.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

At what point though, do we make the call that shooters are deliberately not engaging the target? I fully understand the rule but if I’m standing directly behind a shooter who is shooting well otherwise and he deliberately shoots the ground 25 yards in front of a target, I’m not so sure that qualifies as engaged?

It's technically legal, I suppose, but there's a certain "devilish" quality to that target.  

But then, why not engage it?  No-shoots are -10 each, but so are Ms.  While you'll gain a bit of time by throwing a shot in the  general direction of the target and taking 2 Ms, you'll definitely lose the possible +10 points for the As.  Hitting only one A and 1 NS is -5 pts net; 2 NS is -20, but so are those 2 Ms.  

Practice,  practice, practice...

Edited by teros135

8 minutes ago, teros135 said:

It's technically legal, I suppose, but there's a certain "devilish" quality to that target.  

But then, why not engage it?  No-shoots are -10 each, but so are Ms.  While you'll gain a bit of time by throwing a shot in the  general direction of the target and taking 2 Ms, you'll definitely lose the possible +10 points for the As.  Hitting only one A and 1 NS is -5 pts net; 2 NS is -20, but so are those 2 Ms.  

Practice,  practice, practice...

It only required 1 shot.

1 hour ago, teros135 said:

Gotcha.  Still, M and NS are equal in points down (-10) and an A is +5.  That's a potential 15-point difference from the other guys.  Just sayin'. 

It was a 90 point stage (8 paper requiring 2 hits, 1 paper requiring 1 hit, and 1 steel).

If you were to attempt the partial and shoot 18 Alphas in 17 seconds, you'd end up with a HF of 5.29

If you just threw a shot towards the partial and shot 17 Alphas and 1 Mike in 14 seconds, you'd end up with a HF of 5.35

So, if you could save 3 seconds by not having to stop, set up squarely, and take a very careful aimed shot the math worked out.  The opportunity to tag a no-shoot also factors into the risk/reward equation.  The top 2 pistol shooters on the stage shot it in a little over 11 seconds and took the Mike.  Third place went to a pistol shooter that made the shot and did it in 17.39

Edited by tyler2you

4 hours ago, PatJones said:

Please quote a rule on this.

Fat fingers, hitting a prop is not in of itself a dq. 10.4.2 A shot which strikes the ground within 10 feet of the competitor, except when shooting at a paper target closer than 10 feet to the competitor.

But USPSA  Principles 5. Practical competition is conducted using practical targets, which reflect the general size and shape of such objects as the firearm used may reasonably be called upon to hit in their primary intended use.
6. The challenge presented in practical competition must be done with the utmost safety in mind. Courses of Fire should follow a practical rationale and simulate hypothetical situations in which firearms might reasonably be used.

AT NROI training years ago, the Trainer was talking about unrealistic targets not permissible in USPSA I brought up having a target simulating a molotov cocktail (bowling pin) he didn't buy it said it's not legal.  

Then there is 4.1.3 No-shoots must be clearly marked or be of a single color different from scoring targets. Metal no-shoots in the general size and shape of authorized paper targets may be used. Metal no-shoots do not have a non-scoring border. No-shoots may not have holes cut in them and be used as penalty targets that must be shot through to hit a scoring target; see 9.1.5.

So I guess the target in question had 4 hostages stationed around him so only the belly button area could be engaged?   The sides and bottom one can buy, the top no shoot?  suspended in mid air?  being held by bad guy? How would the no shoot get there?  How reasonable is it?  When a course designer puts forth a target such as that, IMHO you have to also give leeway to the competitor.  

Years ago I saw a local match with a similar target, it only had the A zone of the upper A/B zone visible at 7 yards if memory serves, I was the only one to get both shots on it and not hit a no-shoot.  It was before the language of 4.1.3 above.

Edited by pskys2

It's not an illegal stage.  The WSB can specify that certain targets require a different number of required hits (9.5.1).  I personally don't like having targets with different numbers of required hits, but it is legal.