Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA First Time Reloader Dillon 550 vs 650 etc

timewaster1700

I recently started shooting USPSA and am hooked. In addition to shooting USPSA twice a month, I shoot a bowling pin pistol match 1-2 times a month, and steel plates every week. Altogether I'm blowing through 300-500 rounds every week. I would like to get into reloading to help feed my shooting addiction and to make some softer rounds and be more competitive. I've reloaded a couple times with my uncle so I'm decently familiar with the process. 

95% of my shooting is 9mm, the other 5% makes up 45 ACP and long range rifle. The long range rifle I plan to get a single stage press for.

I would like to get a Dillon progressive press for pistol since I'm going through so much ammo. I'm having a tough time deciding which Dillon to get. Everyone I talk to seems to have different suggestions.

Basically I see these 3 as being options and am curious what you all think I should choose for my situation:

Square Deal B:

Pros:

-auto index is faster

-auto index prevents double charge

-simple design while having auto index

Cons:

-unique dies that only work on that machine

-only works on pistol in the rare case I wanted to reload mass AR rounds down the line. Don't foresee that at this point.

550:

Pros:

-manual indexing in some ways appeals to me because if something goes wrong I don't get super confused with the auto indexing, but you trade off speed

-simple progressive process and I definitely like simple

Cons:

-manual indexing is slower and poses possible double charge if not paying attention

650:

Pros:

-with all the upgrades like case feeder, etc. this is probably the fastest of the 3

-Built in integration for things like powder level checker

Cons:

-complex

-My uncle's 650 always seemed to have something act up every so often and then it was a big headache to figure it out

Kind of leaning towards the 550 for the simplicity, but will I regret the manual index down the line being that I shoot a whole lot?

Also any suggestions for a good reloading book that covers a broad range of bullets?

Thanks

Four station reloaders have built-in compromises.  Five station reloaders are much more flexible.  If you reload 20-30,000 rounds per year you will regret a 550.  If you don't like the 650, look at a Hornady Lock n Load or something similar.  Any progressive press with case feeder and bullet feeder (both of which are necessary for high volume reloading) will have a steep learning curve.

SDB- Unless you have little girl hands I think you’ll find the work area cramped. No chance of case feeder or Bullet feeder. Also, no undies, micrometer seating dies, etc.

550- primer system always needed attention to keep it working. The casefeeder was an afterthought and needed tinkering. Not really set up to accept a bullet feeder. 

650- Get one.

My 1986 550 and 2001 SD. All Dillons are awesome, from $$-$$$$$ How much do you have to spend? Keeping in mind that they last forever. The SD can only do pistol. I've never had a priming system issue on my 550, but then it's the old model. Probably if you have the $$$$$, go for the 1050 with a Mr. Bullet Feeder... Use the powder makers data for loading.

image37741.jpg

Given the volume you're talking about, I'd absolutely recommend you go with the 650.  It allows for the most upgrade options and is, by a long shot, the faster of the three machines you mention.  If you don't buy one now, assuming you continue shooting the amount you are, you'll be wanting to upgrade in short order anyway.  

FWIW, I was in a pretty similar place  6 or 7 years ago;  I was a new reloader, shooting a lot and wanted to buy a press that I could both learn on and wouldn't disappoint down the road.  I bought a 650 and it was definitely the right choice.  I added a case feeder almost immediately, added a bullet feeder a few years later and I'm still perfectly content with it.  It's a great machine, and aside from some minor tinkering/tuning/learning you'll get with ANY press, it has been seamless.     

t

11 hours ago, timewaster1700 said:

300-500 rounds every week. 

95% of my shooting is 9mm,  

Square Deal B:

in the rare case I want to reload AR rounds. Don't foresee that at this point.

550:

-manual indexing is slower and poses possible double charge if not paying attention

650:

-My uncle's 650 always had something act up and  it was a big headache to figure it out

Not much difference in speed of SDB and 550 -  I'd stick with the SDB, since you're with me

and worried that the 650 is just a little "headache".

You really can't go wrong though - all great machines.

If you need something faster than 2-3 hours of reloading/week, you should consider the 650,

but fully loaded, it's three times the cost of a SDB - your choice  - speed or $$$$$.    :) 

IMO if you are shooting 25k+ a year of mostly 9mm, I would strongly suggest getting a used 1050. You will thank yourself later. 

It is not much of a jump from a properly equipped new xl650. It will put less wear and tear on your arm (less force to operate), take less time to load ammo, primes on down stroke, can swage brass (yes there are crimped cases in mixed range brass), and when you inevitably decide you don't want to pull the handle anymore some time down the road, it is a much better platform to automate. 

In any event, a used Dillon in good condition is generally 80% of new. If you buy used the most you stand to lose is shipping costs if you decide to resell. If you are willing to hunt for a deal, you can do better than 80% of new. 

With either the 650 or 1050, start slow. Read and watch a lot before you set up your press. There is a lot of info on enos and YouTube. If you can find a local experienced reloader to show you the ropes, it will speed up the process. Just remember safety first and never take short cuts. 

Best of luck!

Edited by MHitchcock

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

SDB- Unless you have little girl hands I think you’ll find the work area cramped. No chance of case feeder or Bullet feeder. Also, no undies, micrometer seating dies, etc.

550- primer system always needed attention to keep it working. The casefeeder was an afterthought and needed tinkering. Not really set up to accept a bullet feeder. 

650- Get one.

650 all the way unless you want to go 1050 but I do not have any experience with that platform

Never used a SDB but I agree, the space looks cramped.  

I have a 550, I bought this before I started USPSA, after I started shooting USPSA, I bought the 650 and have not looked back, I only have the case feeder, I never added the bullet feeder, winter in Minnesota is my off season time to reload and I enjoy reloading so I do not mind spending the extra time.  I still use my 550 for my less shot calibers.  

You'll want one within a year. :D

I’ve had 650 for 10 years now and still want a 1050, but mine is decked out with all the aftermarket upgrades and a bulletfeeder... it’s just good enough to keep me from buying that 1050 / Mark7 combination that I really want.

Go with a 650. It’ll keep you from buying a larger more expensive press for the longest amount of time.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

50 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You'll want one within a year. :D

Yes. I went from a single stage that I had to 550 to 650 (with bullet feeder) to 1050 with bullet feeder in about a year or so. I shoot 4-5K of .40 a month. 650 became the 9mm reloader and 550 is for large primer calibers now and then.

Wow sounds like the 650 is an overwhelming suggestion. While I do like to save $$, I could swing the 650 and would rather buy the right thing the first time. Its been the complexity that has held me back. If the machine runs fast but always needs tinkered with I question the time I would really save. Those of you running 650's. How often are you tinkering with it to keep it running?

tw, about 2 years ago I faced the same question.  I was reloading on a SDB before I started shooting USPSA.  I wanted a much faster press, so I talked to my dealer.  He said the 650 was fiddley and I should stick to a 550.  I wanted a 1050, but I reload three calibers, so that was not realistic.  I didn't want a four station press, so I decided on a Lock-n-Load equipped with bullet feeder and case feeder.  It runs like a champ, although there are occasional stoppages with the case feeding and bullet feeding.  The 650 and LnL, both tarted up are equivalent machines.  There IS going to be a learning curve with both machines.  You will encounter problem with either.  It may be brass, bullet diameter, out of round primers (think Winchester), or something else.  It's a fact of life for progressive reloaders that automate everything except the handle pull.

Same place as you too many years ago. Decided on 550 primarily on price. A year or more later found a phenomenal deal on 1050. Would never have gotten it if I’d purchased the 650 first. Hind sight being so good the 550 wasn’t the proper decision.

I vote 650. And, don’t look back.

P. S. I still have the 550 and use it for 45 ACP, 30 carbine and one or two other low rnd count reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/6/2017 at 5:37 PM, timewaster1700 said:

Wow sounds like the 650 is an overwhelming suggestion. While I do like to save $$, I could swing the 650 and would rather buy the right thing the first time. Its been the complexity that has held me back. If the machine runs fast but always needs tinkered with I question the time I would really save. Those of you running 650's. How often are you tinkering with it to keep it running?

Once you have decided to get a Dillon, you need to buy the most expensive one you can afford. Period.

No one ever bought the 650 and says they wish they had gotten a Square Deal. Many people, after upgrading from the SD to the 650 have said, why did I wait do so long.

Provided you aren't obsessed with fixing things that aren't broke, you will be fine with a 650. When I had mine, I never tinkered with it beyond caliber changes. I've since upgraded to a 1050.

Enjoy.

Sounds like you’re in for the 650. Good call. I would echo what a few others have said and if the money is there look at the 1050. I loaded about 40,000 rounds on 650 before upgrading to a 1050- holy crap. The 1050 is awesome. Since then I’ve gone with an auto drive (ammobot) and I’m now in reloading heaven, which is to say I have very little time investment for lots of loaded ammo return.

If you’re loading to support 20-25k a year you will be spending LOTS of time reloading. The time savings of the 1050 could be quickly realized as worth the extra investment of the more expensive press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've made my choice to go with the 650. I really don't want to jump into anything more complicated than that as a first timer. Maybe down the road I can go the 1050 route but I think the 650 will suite me well. Found a local guy selling one brand new in the box for $530 which saves me $50 plus shipping and it comes with the 9mm conversion which is what I would have ordered. Of course I'll still need to order the dies, case feeder, stand, and any other goodies.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:29 AM, timewaster1700 said:

:

Pros:

-manual indexing in some ways appeals to me because if something goes wrong I don't get super confused with the auto indexing, but you trade off speed

-simple progressive process and I definitely like simple

Cons:

On 11/6/2017 at 12:29 AM, timewaster1700 said:

My uncle's 650 always seemed to have something act up every so often and then it was a big headache to figure it out

Posing the problem of double charge (PAY ATTENTION)

In the FWIW dept. I started on a 550, 25-30 years ago when they were 550's not A's or B's etc

I still have that original press. works great and fits me like a well worn glove.

I bought a 650 from a friend with all the gizmo's: when it ran it was cool; when it had a hiccup it was a pure PITA.

Slow to get back on line BUT when it was on line it ran great.

IF

I was only loading 4-600 rounds a week I would stay with 550's.  Especially if I loaded different rounds i.e. 9, 40 and 45 etc.

If I was loading over 700 a week of all one caliber I would buy a 1050 and go for it.

This is purely an opinion of a guy who does not like 650's

Until you're loading over 700 rounds a week a 550 is a simple, easy to use and fix machine that will load your ammo in an hour to one hour and 15 minutes.

If you are getting real serious and cranking more than 700 a week get a 1050 and be done with it!

If you're going to have a PITA it might as well be with a system that produces  a serious amount of ammo with out problems (in general)

So right back where you started!!!! LOL

Figure it out on your own like the rest of us did.  AGAIN LOL!!!!!!

One great thing about all of this, you can't go wrong with a 550, 650 with a case feeder at least, or a 1050 with as many goodies as you can afford!!!

Good Fortune on the adventure!!!!

Edited by jcc7x7

I like the 550 due to the ease of changing calibers.  I tend to swap back and forth and the manual operation doesn't bother me.  The primer system is finicky though.

And at even 500 rounds a week, that's about an hour and a half, note buy extra primer tubes! that's about the most labor intensive part.

But if you have the desire, and the cash, to start shooting more per week.  The 650 has a lot going for it and is easier to convert to another caliber than the 1050.

And has a lot going for it, never hear of a double charge with a 650, but you have to be wary of it with a 550.

If you get REAL serious, a 1050 for a single caliber is great.  I lusted after one for years, but I can't settle on a single cartridge????

I have 450(same operation as 550 without changeable tool heads) I like it, but for any real volume I use my friend's LNL. Mainly use the 450 to load 223.

The LNL is quite a bit cheaper($380 or so) if you are not going to use a case feeder and you can load 3-400 an hr. I use the hornady bullet feeder die which is quite a bit cheaper($40 or so) than a real bullet feeder with collator. 

The LNL gets a bad rap, but it isn't terrible if you keep it clean and well lubed. Some of them require shims to get good primer depth and smooth rotation.

I would recommend getting a vibraprime with whatever you buy, as filling primer tubes sucks.