Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals Location

If we could standardize a rotation we could standardize a date rotation as well. It doesn't have to be one set of dates; it just needs to be predictable more than a couple months into the future.

Of course the same thing can be done if we can just schedule out two or three years instead of 6 months.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ANYWHERE BUT BERRY, IL.

Frostproof would be fine, Fredricksburg put on a kick ass nationals a few years ago. The Whittington center would rock too, NRA home range. ANYWHERE BUT BERRY, that place blows!

What about the Founder's Ranch facility outside of Albuquerque, NM?

For those not familiar with Founder's Ranch, this is the facility bought and built by SASS. I have never been there, but it could offer several bonuses:

1) Its held major matches before (SASS World Championship, End Of Trail)

2) Fees for its usage support the shooting sports. Competing maybe, but still in the family.

3) City and Airport of Albuquerque is nearby.

4) I40 is nearby for E-W travellers.

I am sure there are other pros and cons.

Of the listed ranges, I voted for Frostproof. It and Fredricksburg are about 6-8 hours from home and of the two Florida would seem to have the most to offer outside of the match itself.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just shot the Nationals for the first time, and having shot multiple SSC matches and other Matches at PASA Park and stayed in Quincy, Can anyone enlighten me with facts why Barry is sooooo bad and we must not shoot the Nationals there except for the Hot weather?

The way the match was set up, we didnt get back to the motel room until 630-730pm each night, and by the time we got showered, had a beverage, and went and got supper it was 10pm. Time to turn in and get ready for the next day of shooting. We went to shoot the match, not enjoy the nightlife.

I guess there is something I am missing from not shooting previous Nationals. It wouldnt hurt my feelings to have it later in the year, but that would screw the Juniors.......

I guess I would like to know why some people are adamant about hating Barry....I dont have a horse in this race, just curious for some facts...... ;)

I'd prefer to avoid states with subjects instead of citizens. Pick any pro-gun state over such dreck as IL! FOID and no concealed carry, indeed <_<

I'd prefer to avoid ranges with no convenient airports.

I'd prefer to avoid ranges with a hour drive to the hotels.

However, since there is one more year on the Berry deal, I expect we will all be back in the People's Democratic Republic of Illinois in '06.

According to John Amidon (Saturday, during the prize distribution), no other range has put in a package to offer to host the Nationals after the Berry deal expires. He also said that there was no need to worry about "economic incentives"...interested clubs were welcome to put in applications without any such foolishness so there would be some CHOICE this time around :)

Alex

The more I think about this subject the more I am coming to believe that Nats needs to be on a rotation around the country.

USPSA needs to be catering to the masses a bit more and that means moving Nats around to make it possible for the common folk that work for a living to shoot Nats every now and then. The Super Squad will travel to wherever Nats is. That is a given.

Some common shooters have the funds to travel cross-country to shoot and are willing to fly. That's great. Those folks will attend no matter where it is held as long as a major airport is within easy striking distance (although Barry and Bend would seem to fall out given that category).

The common shooter pays the same dues, same mission count, same match registration as the super squad and there are about 500 times more common shooters than there are Super Squadders. Do the math. Where is your audience? Who will fill your match?

IMHO nats needs to move to the Southern tier (keep in mind I live in the Pacific NW so I am not feathering my own nest here) for the next go-round.

Now if Frank could only figure out how to keep the 'canes away from Florida for awhile.... ;)

First time for me at Barry and had a overall good experience, little warm tho :lol: and hate ticks :angry:

Will fly to just about anywhere the Nationals are held since there are no major ranges that I can drive to :lol: Variety would be nice as my wife said she will not go back to Barry again (not enough to see or do while I shot for 5 days).

Prefer warm weather shooting. Just announce the location as early as possible for vacation and travel plans please.

B

Barry,

From the looks of things, you are not going to drivbe to too many National events :)

I will drive up to 24 hours, that is achievable in a two-day trip, It equates to about 1400 miles one way from NJ. That would allow for Oklahoma, Arkansas, near side of Texas, up the Mississippi to Minnesota. We could get into Missouri, Iowa, and a few other mid-west places. As to flying, I am not all that happy to do so. I'd rather not carry my guns and ship my ammo if I can avoid it. If the Nats go to Vegas, i will have to make a decision.

Jim Norman

Well, Hawaii does have interstate highways :wacko: (H-1; H-2; H-3) go figga.

I voted for Vegas and if it's there, we're in :)

Always concerned about flying with my guns and ammo as TSA and airline agents at each airport have different rule books? Left Maui with no problems, not even an check of the guns or ammo. 180 when I left St Louis, the airline agent made me take my ammo out and weigh it but did not inspect the guns and when I made it to TSA, they opened everything (each gun case and each box of ammo). Got home and found one of my guns was at half-cock :angry:

At least they all made it home in one piece.

Aloha y'all,

barry

Weather here is very nice in November & December. Junior shooters could shoot a Nationals at Frank's range over the Thanksgiving or Christmas break. He's got 15 bays & already hosts nearly 400 shooters every February.

[dreaming]

Barry has a few things going for it.

1) They WANT to host the match and do a good job.

2) Nice clubhouse

3) Nice shooting bays

Barry has several things going against it.

1) It's in Illinois

2) Hour drive to and from the range.

3) Quincy is a gar hole.

4) If you fly you still have to drive a few hours.

5) Inadequate parking lots.

6) Walking those hills if you don't have a golf cart.

7) Heat and humidity

8) Ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos.

Although Barry is only a 6 hour drive for me, I would rather have it somewhere fun. If you aren't at the range shooting, there is nothing in the area worth leaving the motel room for. Not much of a reason for the family to come along.

It should rotate around the country. And it should be at an appropriate time of the year for climate. Almost anywhere in the US would be better as long as it isn't in July. That means it may not always be the same time every year. I have been in Tucson and Phoenix when it was over 100 degrees and was more comfortable than Barry in July.

I don't mind making a vacation trip out of it as long as it is somewhere worth vacationing. That sure isn't Barry.

Having worked and shot the nationals at Berry since 1993, this range can't be beat.

The club house, meals, shooting bays are great.

Vegas in 98 & 99, the motel was just a short drive to the range, great meals and great night life. My wife and I used a few extra vacation days and enjoyed the area after the match.

Fredericksburg, is just a short drive to the range and with several motels in the area, it made getting back and forth very easy. Most all ranges have thier pros & cons.

East Hunting in Pa. also ran a very good National. It to was just a short drive, lots of Hotels and the food at the range was very good.

Location, if you live on the east coast, or west coast, then Berry is dead center of the country. Any place else and someone will have to drive a little more. I do beleave that USPSA is under contract with PASA through 2006 to hold one National there. We have learned that trying to run two seperate matches can be expensive and whole lot of work for the USPSA office. Also, not to many other clubs want to take on the work load of trying to hold national event.

Saying all that, I vote for Vegas, and Berry, but Texas could be a close third, even Reno.

Barry has  several  things going against it.

2)  Hour drive to and from the range.

We stayed in Hannibal, MO and made it to the range in less than 30 minutes each day (I even did it in 21 minutes the day I lost my gun). :o

Hannibal was a much nicer town than Quincy IMHO, there were some interesting things to do there (Mark Twain stuff, caverns, etc.) and concealed carry is permitted, so that's where we'll always stay in the future.

-Chet

Stayed in Hannible for the 2000 Miliumm (sp) match. A great little town. Just don't get caught on the wrong side of the tracks when a train comes through, You will be ther for some time. They are looooong.

I voted for Vegas Baby Vegas, but of course didn't think about the fact that the match happens in July (yuck). I am not sure anywhere but Honolulu is going to be really fun in July.

I would stay away from OK (to many freaking Sooners), because it is lke hell on earth in the summer. It would probably be way worse than Barry.

Missoula is nice (I am originally from No. Dak.) but a little hard to fly to.

Frostproof is nice, but the nationals is right in the middle of Hurricane season.

Rio Salado would be pretty cool, but Phoenix is in the 6th or 7th pit of hell around this time of year.

All in all I think we would be hard up to find a place that is going to be comfortable in July, so why not at least go to the city that never sleeps. You can go see Tom Jones or the Blue Man Group after a long day of shooting.