Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO talking to shooter after LMR

B_RAD

Ok. Let's say the RO starts talking to a shooter about something that he had happen to him while RO'ing at another match.     

Is is that grounds for a reshoot?

To avoid re shoots or having the potential of a bad run, if the shooter feels distracted, could that be an excuse for that shooter to ULSC and drop to another spot in the shooting order?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

I had to look at your location. I know a guy like this that never shuts up. 

I've noticed this a lot lately. I'm sure every range/club has some. 

Edited by B_RAD

So let's not harp too much on RO's if we are going to use LMR instead of MR or Make Ready in the complaint. I guess we can all make mistakes.

That being said, a good RO won't say much if anything at all outside of range commands. BUT, I'm not a believer in the , "hey man you said something and threw me off my game so I want a reshoot" excuse.

Not good form, unless it is short and pertinent to the situation at hand.

I'd say not a re-shoot, unless the shooter asked for more time to make ready, and was refused.

If it is distracting, ask to be put down one and then ask for another RO.

26 minutes ago, Sarge said:

So let's not harp too much on RO's if we are going to use LMR instead of MR or Make Ready in the complaint. I guess we can all make mistakes.

That being said, a good RO won't say much if anything at all outside of range commands. BUT, I'm not a believer in the , "hey man you said something and threw me off my game so I want a reshoot" excuse.

No "harping".  

Me using LMR instead of MR is inconsequential to a simple question. 

31 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Not good form, unless it is short and pertinent to the situation at hand.

I'd say not a re-shoot, unless the shooter asked for more time to make ready, and was refused.

If it is distracting, ask to be put down one and then ask for another RO.

I agree 100%  

This was a a club match and should not happen at a LV2/LV3. I ask because if it did, and I was the shooter, I might ask to be dropped down a spot in the order. 

10 minutes ago, waktasz said:

it's annoying and the RO should not do that 

But,

he asked (presumably) "Are you ready?" , and you did not indicate otherwise, so you get your score as shot. IMO of course.

Great point.  If you feel you need more time, take it. 

At a Level One match, the shooter can ask the RO for extra help, however the RO should still only use the 6 standard commands per Rule 8.3

Make Ready, not Load and Make Ready.

Are you Ready?, not Is the Shooter Ready.

Stand by....

(Stop, if required).

If you are finished, unload and show clear, not show me an empty gun.

If clear, hammer down, holster, not Ok to holster.

Range is Clear (not Range is Safe, it's never Safe).

If you get an RO who can't abide by the USPSA Rules for commands, tell him you paid for a USPSA match, that you are going to go by the rules and expect them to do the same. If they argue, then ask if they are NROI certified (which is not required at a Level One match), however most RO's are not anyway. If it goes beyond that, then ask for an RO who follows the commands. 

Once you issue the Make Ready command then everything should be by the book.  Prior to the MR command I see it as what else is going on.  If they are still taping targets and the RO is trying to fill time with idle chit chat because you do not appear to be working the stage in your head then no harm no foul.  If he starts talking prior to the MR command and you appear to be running the stage in your mind one last time then he should keep his mouth shut. 

Once you go to the line it should be nothing but the commands, but depending on the shooter and RO there might be some talking going on.

I never say ANYTHING when the shooter is at the line besides the range command...

Was taught that a while ago by an RM more experienced than me...

If the shooter whats to chit chat, then i will not issue the MR command...I will not engage in a reply beyond "yes" or "no".  anything else would then make the conversation longer... I then just say make ready and will not engage in the conversation any longer...

As a shooter, i will ignore the chit chat the RO is trying to start or tell the RO to tell me later about how he slept with the 4 super models last night...

Once the RO issues the "are you ready" command...if you are still distracted, then tell him you are not ready...try to gain your composure if you can...if not, ask to be moved down...

1 hour ago, racerba said:

As a shooter, i will tell the RO to tell me later about how he slept with the 4 super models last night...

That was me. I should have just stuck to the range commands. Sorry! :)

Edited by Sarge

Rough crowd.  Geez, I wonder how some of you ever experience some of the fun that's supposed to be associated with this sport being so uptight.  Level 2 and 3, yeah, maybe, but come on, lighten up.  If your concentration is broken that easily, you are doing it wrong.  Or maybe arguing is what you are there for because you do that better than shooting.....met plenty like that.

1 minute ago, Hammer002 said:

Rough crowd.  Geez, I wonder how some of you ever experience some of the fun that's supposed to be associated with this sport being so uptight.  Level 2 and 3, yeah, maybe, but come on, lighten up.  If your concentration is broken that easily, you are doing it wrong.  Or maybe arguing is what you are there for because you do that better than shooting.....met plenty like that.

I disagree about treating level 1 differently. I'm there to preform as good as my current level of skill. Once I've shot a stage I'm up for chit chat with anyone that's also shot that stage.  The moment I walk over to the new stage, I'm there to prepare then shoot. 

I've noticed the folks that prepare the most for each stage usually preform way better than folks that don't. 

14 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I disagree about treating level 1 differently. I'm there to preform as good as my current level of skill. Once I've shot a stage I'm up for chit chat with anyone that's also shot that stage.  The moment I walk over to the new stage, I'm there to prepare then shoot. 

I've noticed the folks that prepare the most for each stage usually preform way better than folks that don't. 

Level 1 has the most new shooters.  Welcome them.  You gain nothing by imposing your C class domination on a D class shooter by way of trying to convince everyone how good you are.  If you achieve success, you will find its being relaxed that makes you shoot well, or do any sport well.  Treating any stage as though is the Nationals, even the Nationals is absolutely the wrong frame of mind.  The best advice I got from a national champion was treat EVERY match as though it's just another match, just another stage.  With that said, I've trained my pre shot routine to where it's the same in practice, club match, shooting with the wife, or the world championship being decided by one point and whether the dude with the timer says make ready or shooter make ready is of no consequence.  No, I don't chit chat after make ready, nor would I likely even hear if the RO did, because my pre shot routine has started my concentration and I'm going through my motions and then waiting for a beep.  I'm not there to impose my supposed dominance, or there lack of, on other people.  I'm there to shoot my best, and part of that is training to the point you cannot be distracted.  If you can be, it's YOU who needs some improvement, rather than pointing fingers outward.  Preparation IS everything, but you haven't done it right if you are thrown off your game cause the RO asks you how you are doing and remarks about how it's a bit warm today instead of make ready.  If you are wound so tight every little thing bothers you, like many sound here, take a look in the mirror and ask what you are really doing cause you are standing in the way of your own success.

I've met two, and only two types of shooting competitors:. The real shooters at any skill level, and the rule lawyers.  Have yet to meet one that's both.

31 minutes ago, Hammer002 said:

Level 1 has the most new shooters.  Welcome them.  You gain nothing by imposing your C class domination on a D class shooter by way of trying to convince everyone how good you are.  If you achieve success, you will find its being relaxed that makes you shoot well, or do any sport well.  Treating any stage as though is the Nationals, even the Nationals is absolutely the wrong frame of mind.  The best advice I got from a national champion was treat EVERY match as though it's just another match, just another stage.  With that said, I've trained my pre shot routine to where it's the same in practice, club match, shooting with the wife, or the world championship being decided by one point and whether the dude with the timer says make ready or shooter make ready is of no consequence.  No, I don't chit chat after make ready, nor would I likely even hear if the RO did, because my pre shot routine has started my concentration and I'm going through my motions and then waiting for a beep.  I'm not there to impose my supposed dominance, or there lack of, on other people.  I'm there to shoot my best, and part of that is training to the point you cannot be distracted.  If you can be, it's YOU who needs some improvement, rather than pointing fingers outward.  Preparation IS everything, but you haven't done it right if you are thrown off your game cause the RO asks you how you are doing and remarks about how it's a bit warm today instead of make ready.  If you are wound so tight every little thing bothers you, like many sound here, take a look in the mirror and ask what you are really doing cause you are standing in the way of your own success.

I've met two, and only two types of shooting competitors:. The real shooters at any skill level, and the rule lawyers.  Have yet to meet one that's both.

Not gonna waste time getting into a pissing contest on my classification.  I don't think its good form for the RO to talk to the shooter and that's my opinion. 

I do agree that a shooter should try to not let it bother him. Though, I'd bet everyone has let things bother them before. 

Also, I prepare for each stage I shoot as if it was nationals. Which means prepare and visualize. I've never shot nationals. I just started shooting USPSA this year but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be talking when I would be best served by preparing. So, thats what I do at locals. Treat it like its nationals. 

Edited by B_RAD

31 minutes ago, Hammer002 said:

I think you are only seeing one side of this debate. For me, It's not about being laser focused and RO's talking costs me points. It's about how RO's are trained NOT to talk to shooters except for range commands. There are reasons for it. The most important being safety. Level one or world shoot, it shouldn't be done. Another reason is what if you say ,"did you hear who slept with Betty?", and a gun gets drawn because I heard "make ready". Now what?

There is so much down time during matches that all the catching up can be done without coming to the line and hearing about an RO's hemorrhoid surgery.

It's bad practice to have the, "it's just a local match", mentality in so many ways.

I give the MR command as soon as the shooter gets to the start position and the range is clear. I do this for a couple of reasons. One is time management, and the other is it allows the shooter to handle the gun without any misunderstanding of communication. Keeps the shooter from drawing prematurely because they thought they heard something.