My Shadow 2 modifications

rowdyb

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MrT_shootsAcz said:

Thanks!  It was bugging me but not enough to consult Dr Google or "the manual"

I only know the name because I stuck that little bastard in to the tip of my finger when I first got my Shadows and now I can never forget haha

18 minutes ago, ess45 said:

I'm going to order a lower weight main spring, recoil spring and firing pin spring. Any parts that might break in the future that I need to include in my order?

Thank you.

If you plan on shooting tens of thousands of rounds, a spare TRS and slide stop are two parts that will eventually go. 

Edited by PrimaryBruce

42 minutes ago, PrimaryBruce said:

If you plan on shooting tens of thousands of rounds, a spare TRS and slide stop are two parts that will eventually go. 

What is a TRS?

I usually shoot around 200 rounds a week (less for rifle), either pistol or rifle depending on the mood. :)

Thanks

Edited by ess45

I installed the CZ competition hammer and the pre-b disconnector in my Shadow 2. The single action trigger pull and the reset seems good, but I can't turn the safety on when the pistol is fully cocked, only when it is half cocked. Anybody have a solution? 

20 minutes ago, glockslinger said:

I installed the CZ competition hammer and the pre-b disconnector in my Shadow 2. The single action trigger pull and the reset seems good, but I can't turn the safety on when the pistol is fully cocked, only when it is half cocked. Anybody have a solution? 

You likely need to fit the safety to the sear. If you take the slide off you can see the leg of the safety and where it engages the sear, I've had to take a little material off that safety leg (or you can fit the sear to the safety for a cheaper option) to get the safety to engage properly.

Be careful though a little goes a long way and if you go too far you cant go back!

4 minutes ago, glockslinger said:

Does the installation of the hammer shift the position of the sear? The safety is stock.

It could yes. When the hooks engage each other they may do it at a different position than the stock hammer did causing the sear to lift a little more or less etc.

Yes, the new hammer absolutely changes that relationship. Carefully relieve the leading edge of that thing that looks like a cam lobe on the arm of the safety, where it is rubbing against the sear. Then your safety will fully engage.

Take too much off and you end up with a safety that will engage whether the hammer is back or not. Safety will still work though. Doesn't take much with a small hand file to fit a safety to a new hammer.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, factorof2 said:

How much trouble did you have moving the magazine release paddle to the 2PM position? I tried just backing the screw out of the catch the other day and the torque required to do it simply sheared the teeth of the screw head so that now it's permanently loose until I actually get it out and replace the screw or replace the catch?

Have sheared the screw also. It would be pity to replace the whole catch set so has anybody found the replacement screw?

2 hours ago, mizukas said:

Have sheared the screw also. It would be pity to replace the whole catch set so has anybody found the replacement screw?

You can get them off of CZ USA's web site.  I reckon you could find a close match at your local hardware store in a pinch.

hrrr. unable to open the provided link.

Strangely enough it seems that CZ custom support and spares choice is so much better in US than in EU.

Will try to hear with http://ipscstore.com and czub.cz

just to make clear I'm not looking for the mag catch screw

http://www.ipscstore.eu/fr/cz-75-sp-01/440-cz-75-magazine-catch-spring-screw-2000000004402.html

But for the little guy holding the adjustable mag release knob

http://www.ipscstore.eu/fr/cz-shadow-2-parts/2026-cz-shadow-2-magazine-catch-set-2000000020266.html

thanks again folks

Edited by mizukas

so what is the consensus on the recoil spring? I am using a 11# shooting 124gr 132PF and I feel I need to go up, perhaps 13#.  This is only for Shadow 2. 11# for my shadow seemed to be alright. 

26 minutes ago, cheby said:

so what is the consensus on the recoil spring? I am using a 11# shooting 124gr 132PF and I feel I need to go up, perhaps 13#.  This is only for Shadow 2. 11# for my shadow seemed to be alright. 

I'm running the CGW 11# in my shadow 2.  I like it just fine.  Curious as to why you need to go up to 13#?  Not ejecting far enough?

21 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

After fooling around I'm back to running the same spring rates as I did in the SP01 Shadow in my Shadow 2.

Rowdyb, what weight springs are you "back to"?  What didn't you like about the ones you tried?

i shoot a 147 grain bullet over 3.10 titegroup if that matters.

i am at 11# recoil spring from czc and a 13# main spring from czc as well (with some modification that makes it more like the 11.5# from cgw)

here https://czcustom.com/cz-75-85-sp01-spring-recoil-full-11-lb-x-1.html

and here https://czcustom.com/cz-75-85-sp01-spring-main-hammer-13-lb-x-1.html

recoil springs of 10 or 13 lbs were tried. i didn't like the timing of follow up shots with either or how they felt with my grip. all personal and subjective.

main spring, i like running my internals all from one source as much as possible. if i ran cgw i'd run all cgw stuff inside. i run czc so i run czc parts inside as much as possible. a 13# main spring will always work, always light primers off and always have sufficient hammer speed. it also helps with slowing the slide a bit during recoil as the slide/hammer/spring all work together. (and I have a personal distaste for super light main springs as i think they're a crutch for poor technique of the double action on a shooter's part)

11 hours ago, rowdyb said:

m at 11# recoil spring from czc and a 13# main spring from czc as well (with some modification that makes it more like the 11.5# from cgw)

Yoy know you have to expand a bit more on this 'modification'...... we can only run 13lb hammer springs here due to our ammo, but we were advised.... by visiting Cz gurus...... not to cut the hammer springs as we thought about that to make them say a 12lb by clipping off some coils...... curious as to your recommended tweak of that spring.

Thanks.

then take the 13# spring and hit the exterior of it with a belt sander. reducing the exterior dimension of the spring. this also makes it weaker/softer. i've ran to or three coils clipped off that spring for years.

just remember, doing any of this means it also won't push the hammer with the same force as an unmolested 13# spring. you can't have it both ways.

Edited by rowdyb