Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally picked up a new X5 today. I tried to field strip it, but the take down lever would only move so far. I eventually had to use a block of soft wood and a small hammer to tap it into position. I field stripped the X5, put it back together, then field stripped it again. This time I had no trouble turning the take down lever. Put it back together and tried to function test it. The magazine wouldn't seat, and the striker wouldn't function. After several tear downs and studying the fire control frame, I discovered that I had to push down on a bar under the slide stop lever to allow a stud on the bar to pop into a hole on the slide stop, then it worked just fine. I haven't even loaded a magazine yet, and the thing needs to go back to the factory. Guess this is what happens when you try to push product out of the door to fast. I really like this pistol too.

24 minutes ago, BeltFed said:

I finally picked up a new X5 today. I tried to field strip it, but the take down lever would only move so far. I eventually had to use a block of soft wood and a small hammer to tap it into position. I field stripped the X5, put it back together, then field stripped it again. This time I had no trouble turning the take down lever. Put it back together and tried to function test it. The magazine wouldn't seat, and the striker wouldn't function. After several tear downs and studying the fire control frame, I discovered that I had to push down on a bar under the slide stop lever to allow a stud on the bar to pop into a hole on the slide stop, then it worked just fine. I haven't even loaded a magazine yet, and the thing needs to go back to the factory. Guess this is what happens when you try to push product out of the door to fast. I really like this pistol too.

The takedown lever is usually very stiff at first because it is engaging the magazine block while simultaneously moving the guide rod up and out of the way.  Make sure all your pins are tight on the FCU too before re installing it into the grip. Then once you get the takedown lever back into place, lift up on the slide lock lever to disengage the magazine block, put slide back on making sure the guide rod is centered on the barrel. With the takedown lever in the open position 90* vertical put the slide back on and leave the slide locked rearward, rotated takedown lever forward, rack slide a few times. The X5 is really over sprung and it takes about 20# of force to rotate the takedown lever, I use the magazine by placing the bottom of the base pad on top of the lever and pushing and rotating at the same time.  Hope this helps. 

On 8/4/2017 at 1:54 PM, JAFO said:

The same thing happened to a friend's 320 X5 with the Springer tape down here.  He has alma's work on one of his other 320's, but I'm not sure what he ended up going with on the X5.

Get some of the BSI grip glue from Dawson precision.

On 8/2/2017 at 10:22 AM, aturk said:

Just got my P320-X5 back from Robert Burke.  I had him do his competition action job.  Turnaround was about 2 weeks from when it left my house to when I received it.  Dry firing shows it as much improved.  Trigger pull weight seems to be the least changed, but the shorter take up, smoother travel, and better reset makes it worth it.  

He also installed a .190 front site as my gun was shooting way low from the factory and my rear sight was almost maxed out on adjustment.  

I'm still running the gun in Limited Minor until I decide on a dot, but right now I have the following:

Burke Competition Action Job

SP Tungsten Guide Rod\13lb Recoil Spring

SP Extended Mag Release

SP Grip Tape

SP Extended Base Plates\Gram Followers

Dawson .190 Front Site

I have a full RHT kit, with their holster and hanger, as well as DAA Racer Mag pouches.

Next step will be to see how the grip tape holds up, or send it to Alma for his grip service.  

Overall the gun is great, but to really get it competition ready has cost me a fair chunk of money.  

Could we get a link to Robert Burke?

Thanks Nick179

After doing a little more research, I found this is kind of common. I also discovered that after reassembly, if I keep pulling the slide back to release the slide from the slide stop (this may take a few attempts) then everything pops back in place and works fine. However if I use the slide stop to release the slide, the striker wont work and the magazine wont seat, and I have to press down on the bar under the slide stop to get it to work.

17 minutes ago, BeltFed said:

Thanks Nick179

After doing a little more research, I found this is kind of common. I also discovered that after reassembly, if I keep pulling the slide back to release the slide from the slide stop (this may take a few attempts) then everything pops back in place and works fine. However if I use the slide stop to release the slide, the striker wont work and the magazine wont seat, and I have to press down on the bar under the slide stop to get it to work.

Interesting something must be hung up somewhere along the way. Do you have any other grip modules besides the X5?  Maybe try the FCU in there and see if problem persist.  If you have time can you send me or post some pics of your FCU. Mainly the area where the hang up is and then the Left and right rear of the fcu. I had a similar problem when I changed from gen 1 to gen 2 slide stop. I messed up and tapped the trigger back into place while not supporting the safety lever pivot and housing pin and it caused the slide to lock up when racked. 

You need to lift up an engage the slide stop after reinstalling the take down lever. This should reset the striker and trigger etc for operation. The gun will not work after putting top end back on unless you perform this simple step? 

I also have used the block of wood approach to take down, but now just use 2 thumbs, to rotate, one pushing down, and one helping the top surface rotate back... (opposing directions to rotate the lever) - with two thumbs it comes right off. Even broken in, one thumb is sometimes not enough to take down.

I used a popsicle stick for leverage on teh TDL when when it was spanky and new. 1000 rounds later it loosened up.

Now it is one my EDC gun and I use the Gen1 (thicker TDL with the bump) on my X5,  for me it's a perfect thumbrest.

I see the P320 X-VTAC is starting to ship.

From what I can tell, this is the X Five without the mag well and without the adjustable rear sight/optics plate.  

Prices are still a bit high given that the guns just started to ship but I assume they'll come down to the $750-ish range pretty shortly.  That's what I'm hoping anyway.  I'm thinking the VTAC might be a good choice for IDPA SSP since I don't think it has the mag well or frame weight.  

2 hours ago, Tokarev said:

I see the P320 X-VTAC is starting to ship.

From what I can tell, this is the X Five without the mag well and without the adjustable rear sight/optics plate.  

Prices are still a bit high given that the guns just started to ship but I assume they'll come down to the $750-ish range pretty shortly.  That's what I'm hoping anyway.  I'm thinking the VTAC might be a good choice for IDPA SSP since I don't think it has the mag well or frame weight.  

if you take off the magwell, the X5 can be used in SSP. The grip weight was deemed an integral part of the pistol and too difficult to remove, so it is allowed in SSP.

36 minutes ago, Tokarev said:

Nice price.

Hopefully it won't go off if you drop it...

Ack. Just reading about that now. Not good (although they said the X5 with flat trigger does not appear to have the problem).

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/08/07/video-sig-p320-dramatically-fails-drop-test/?utm_source=FbMain

Edited by Gryff

36 minutes ago, Gryff said:

Ack. Just reading about that now. Not good (although they said the X5 with flat trigger does not appear to have the problem).

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/08/07/video-sig-p320-dramatically-fails-drop-test/?utm_source=FbMain

FYI, the Grayguns "cam safety" is an additional part that Grayguns installs as part of its competition trigger work. I think it eliminates this possibility. 

FYI, the Grayguns "cam safety" is an additional part that Grayguns installs as part of its competition trigger work. I think it eliminates this possibility. 
Interesting...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Based on the video, it appears the P320 fires because when dropped on the back of the slide/frame, the trigger is actually being pulled by inertia.  While I don't know how the GG cam safety operates, it does not appear that anything short of reducing the mass of the trigger, stiffer trigger pull or adding a trigger safety (glock, M&P etc) will prevent the issue.  They said in the video that the flat trigger found on the X5 was lighter than the curved and when installed into the P320's that were firing when dropped, dramatically reduced the issue.

15 minutes ago, BC27 said:

Based on the video, it appears the P320 fires because when dropped on the back of the slide/frame, the trigger is actually being pulled by inertia.  While I don't know how the GG cam safety operates, it does not appear that anything short of reducing the mass of the trigger, stiffer trigger pull or adding a trigger safety (glock, M&P etc) will prevent the issue.  They said in the video that the flat trigger found on the X5 was lighter than the curved and when installed into the P320's that were firing when dropped, dramatically reduced the issue.

Good point. I'll stay in tuned to developments. 

On 8/6/2017 at 3:00 PM, Nick179 said:

Interesting something must be hung up somewhere along the way. Do you have any other grip modules besides the X5?  Maybe try the FCU in there and see if problem persist.  If you have time can you send me or post some pics of your FCU. Mainly the area where the hang up is and then the Left and right rear of the fcu. I had a similar problem when I changed from gen 1 to gen 2 slide stop. I messed up and tapped the trigger back into place while not supporting the safety lever pivot and housing pin and it caused the slide to lock up when racked. 

Getting pictures may be difficult, but I did swap the FCU into a 320C grip module and had no issues. I'm going to try the X5 slide on the compact grip module with both FCUs tonight to see what happens. The 320C FCU is a manual safety model, so I can't drop it into the X5 grip.

21 hours ago, Tokarev said:

Nice price.

Hopefully it won't go off if you drop it...

I guess you just read the headline and didn't watch the video for comprehension. X-Fives PASS THE DROP TEST !

I guess you just read the headline and didn't watch the video for comprehension. X-Fives PASS THE DROP TEST !
Lol yeah I know.

FYI there's now a "voluntary upgrade" available. Info is on SIG's Facebook page and elsewhere.

21 hours ago, alma said:

Yeah but Bruce said that there's no problem...so, nothing to worry about. Feel free to drop your pistols guys............

Yeah but Bruce said that there's no problem...so, nothing to worry about. Feel free to drop your pistols guys............
He also says his triggers are production legal, soooooooo......