Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Thread

BASE772

7 hours ago, z40acp said:

Do a WTB here. I bet a lot of shooters have replaced with grams and the originals are new.

Thanks. Maybe I should buy the grams kits. If anyone can recommend it or not please comment. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/9/2017 at 5:16 AM, f2benny said:

Anyone find that the guns shoots quite low? I had to really crank the rear sight up. I might replace the front sight... suggestions appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have been watching this forum/thread for weeks now, soaking up all of the info I can. Finally decided to sign up so I can comment and get questions answered!

This is my first year shooting competitively and its been a blast so far! I purchased an X5 2 weeks ago and have had it out twice for IDPA matches. First match was a qualifier. Shooting 115 grain factory loads I was hitting very low, especially on the last stage where you are out 20 yards (I was approximately 8-12" low of center mass). I talked to a few guys after the match and they recommended leaving the sights but picking up some heavier grain ammo. I grabbed some 124 grain factory loads and was able to get to a match this past Sat. Still WAY low. I have some 147 grain stuff on its way which I will try next, but at this point I think sight adjustment is going to be the correct answer to the problem.

My windage adjustment seemed a bit off too. Admittedly I thought it was a sight alignment and trigger press issue. Again, further out it is more pronounced. I was having to aim to the right and off the side of small poppers to hit them at 15 yards. This was using a slow deliberate trigger press, verifying sight alignment, focusing, and going slow after resigning myself to the fact that my times were getting so bad that they didnt matter anymore. Very frustrating. I did not have this issue during the qualifier and the only things I changed sight wise between the two matches was swapping out a green colored fiber optic for a red one. I was very careful not to get the flame to closet to the blade when melting the fiber.

Besides the sights issue, I LOVE this gun. I put in a SS guide rod and 14lb spring from springer precision and then got 4 17 round mags and threw some springer base pads on them so that everything is nice and IDPA legal. Just need to get to the range in a non-competition capacity and get this thing sighted in!

Edited by Gunnar971

Mine actually shot high (and a couple inches left) out of the box at 20 yards.  I'm shooting 147gn 132pf hand loads.  I tested it on a bench rest to insure an accurate POI.  Its a very accurate gun for sure though.  Also, I did more shooting with mine yesterday to get more rounds though it after doing the trigger work.  Such a huge difference with the overtravel and reset reduction.  Stock, I felt like I had to slap the trigger to achieve decent splits but now its so easy and more importantly, more accurate (not slapping the trigger).  I think it's about as close to a 1911 trigger as I can get it.

7 minutes ago, BC27 said:

Mine actually shot high (and a couple inches left) out of the box at 20 yards.  I'm shooting 147gn 132pf hand loads.  I tested it on a bench rest to insure an accurate POI.  Its a very accurate gun for sure though.  Also, I did more shooting with mine yesterday to get more rounds though it after doing the trigger work.  Such a huge difference with the overtravel and reset reduction.  Stock, I felt like I had to slap the trigger to achieve decent splits but now its so easy and more importantly, more accurate (not slapping the trigger).  I think it's about as close to a 1911 trigger as I can get it.

Wow, very impressive. Id love to see a video detailing the work you did if/when you ever get an opportunity!

2 hours ago, Gunnar971 said:

I have been watching this forum/thread for weeks now, soaking up all of the info I can. Finally decided to sign up so I can comment and get questions answered!

This is my first year shooting competitively and its been a blast so far! I purchased an X5 2 weeks ago and have had it out twice for IDPA matches. First match was a qualifier. Shooting 115 grain factory loads I was hitting very low, especially on the last stage where you are out 20 yards (I was approximately 8-12" low of center mass). I talked to a few guys after the match and they recommended leaving the sights but picking up some heavier grain ammo. I grabbed some 124 grain factory loads and was able to get to a match this past Sat. Still WAY low. I have some 147 grain stuff on its way which I will try next, but at this point I think sight adjustment is going to be the correct answer to the problem.

My windage adjustment seemed a bit off too. Admittedly I thought it was a sight alignment and trigger press issue. Again, further out it is more pronounced. I was having to aim to the right and off the side of small poppers to hit them at 15 yards. This was using a slow deliberate trigger press, verifying sight alignment, focusing, and going slow after resigning myself to the fact that my times were getting so bad that they didnt matter anymore. Very frustrating. I did not have this issue during the qualifier and the only things I changed sight wise between the two matches was swapping out a green colored fiber optic for a red one. I was very careful not to get the flame to closet to the blade when melting the fiber.

Besides the sights issue, I LOVE this gun. I put in a SS guide rod and 14lb spring from springer precision and then got 4 17 round mags and threw some springer base pads on them so that everything is nice and IDPA legal. Just need to get to the range in a non-competition capacity and get this thing sighted in!

Have you tried adjusting the rear factory adjustable sight? That should certainly be done before changing ammo to change impact. 

i just installed the Curved PELT trigger in my gun from GG. i am finding it very hard to hear any kind of tactile reset. is this normal? any one else notice this? did i install wrong? it is hard to hear and almost as hard to feel it in the trigger.

thanks.

2 hours ago, alma said:

Have you tried adjusting the rear factory adjustable sight? That should certainly be done before changing ammo to change impact. 

That was my initial thought as well, but some guys that have been doing this much longer than I suggested the course of action I detailed above. Ill adjust the sight and be done with it. Thank you sir!

On 7/7/2017 at 11:19 AM, AmarokTactical said:

Brownells has some 6-48 screws to choose from here: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/small-hardware/metal-screws/plug-screw-refill-pak-6-48-blue-1-dozen-sku080533648-570-2365.aspx  $9 for a dozen screws isn't bad.

Does anyone know the correct length that is needed to mount the Romeo1 on the X5?

I'll pull them out of my X5 tonight (the Romeo1 was stolen off my RX), and measure. I called sig, and they are working on adding a part number for these screws so that we can order them directly. They expected it to be done within the next couple of days.

53 minutes ago, nivfreak said:

I'll pull them out of my X5 tonight (the Romeo1 was stolen off my RX), and measure. I called sig, and they are working on adding a part number for these screws so that we can order them directly. They expected it to be done within the next couple of days.

3/8 is the absolute max...  that I know for sure. Im using a 3/8 one on the side that you can see the screw and a 5/16 on the side with the extractor spring.

2 hours ago, bullseye2012 said:

i just installed the Curved PELT trigger in my gun from GG. i am finding it very hard to hear any kind of tactile reset. is this normal? any one else notice this? did i install wrong? it is hard to hear and almost as hard to feel it in the trigger.

thanks.

I don't have the GG PELT trigger but my understanding is that with the supplied trigger return spring, what you're describing is normal with that kit.  There are two primary reasons for this.  The GG PELT trigger changes the geometry by shortening the moment arm that moves the trigger bar.  The shorter arm increases leverage in order to reduce trigger pull weight.  The provided trigger return spring is also softer than the factory one, which also brings down the pull weight.  Like anything mechanical, there is a compromise in doing this and that is less feedback (tactile feel and sound).  Some people are ok with this and others are not.  No right or wrong, just preference.

If I could make a suggestion.  Use the stock trigger return spring with the PELT trigger for more tactile feel but this will increase the trigger pull weight a bit.  To counter this, remove one of the sear springs.  This should bring the pull weight back down and still provide the tactile reset you're looking for.

4 hours ago, bullseye2012 said:

thanks.

How many rounds do you have through the gun? I ask this because I also installed the same trigger and I could not hear or feel any reset. So i put in the stock trigger return spring and I could feel and hear the reset. I contacted Grayguns And they said maybe I need to shoot the gun more. Well now I have 1000 rounds through it and I put their trigger return spring back in and I can feel the reset. It may seem too soft on dry fire but it was fine shooting. I like the trigger now. 

8 hours ago, Gunnar971 said:

So funny. I had a similar experience in that when i first shot the gun it was way low and left at 15 yards. I thought I had lost all skill. I shot from a sand bag and same thing. I since moved the sights way up and to the right and the gun is VERY accurate.

2 hours ago, Mig9 said:

How many rounds do you have through the gun? I ask this because I also installed the same trigger and I could not hear or feel any reset. So i put in the stock trigger return spring and I could feel and hear the reset. I contacted Grayguns And they said maybe I need to shoot the gun more. Well now I have 1000 rounds through it and I put their trigger return spring back in and I can feel the reset. It may seem too soft on dry fire but it was fine shooting. I like the trigger now. 

i have only about 400-500 through it. even shooting a cant feel the reset. Grayguns also mentioned i should put the stock spring back in however i purchased it mainly for the lightened pull. i think i will run another 500 through it with the stock spring to see if it lightens up. hopefully other options come out to lighten the pull to the 4lb range. thanks!

On 7/9/2017 at 9:31 PM, Mig9 said:

In case it helps I shoot 147 grain bullets at around 132 power factor and Ive been between the 14 and the 13# springs.; I prefer the 14. Just out of curiosity today I shot at least 50 rounds with a 12# spring with no issues.

Am I the only one crazy running an 11lb spring? Gun is broken in and has a few thousand rounds through it. Only shot about 300 rounds in the 11lb spring training and a USPSA match. 0 malfunctions. Tried 14 and still thought it was oversprung, same with 13#. Just hope the slide isn't battering the frame. Shoots very flat. Using freedom 124gr. Their power factor is in the 130+ for the most part. 

7 hours ago, GJ710 said:

Am I the only one crazy running an 11lb spring? Gun is broken in and has a few thousand rounds through it. Only shot about 300 rounds in the 11lb spring training and a USPSA match. 0 malfunctions. Tried 14 and still thought it was oversprung, same with 13#. Just hope the slide isn't battering the frame. Shoots very flat. Using freedom 124gr. Their power factor is in the 130+ for the most part. 

I shot about 10,000 rounds through my P320 full size with an 11# spring with no problems. Now I'm going to try the 11 on the X5 thanks to you. So I don't think you're crazy. 

I'm never completely sure I have the right spring. I test by doing bill drills and 10 and 25 yards and comparing the spread and also by shooting some rounds carefully watching the sights. I can see if the front dipped or if I had to push it down. But I think there is an element of anticipation that may affect the results (you may let the gun come down with a heavier spring vs push down more with a lighter spring. Last practice I just went with the one that felt better. 

Does anyone have a better, simpler, more definite procedure? I heard a gunsmith say you should run the lightest spring your gun will take, but When I have to push the sight down for a follow-up shot at distance it feels like a lot of time lost. 

12 hours ago, Mig9 said:

So funny. I had a similar experience in that when i first shot the gun it was way low and left at 15 yards. I thought I had lost all skill. I shot from a sand bag and same thing. I since moved the sights way up and to the right and the gun is VERY accurate.

Its so nice to hear someone else has had a similar experience. I was getting so frustrated that I literally stopped to look at the gun during a COF. I thought for sure I was going to see something loose or warped or broken or something. After I didnt, I figured I had lost all proficiency with a firearm. Good to hear that may not be the case and others have had sights THAT far off from the factory.

Mine shot point of aim from factory fwiw.

Now, recoil springs.... gotta lot of nose dive of the pistol, low second shots, on 14 and 13 pound springs.... if I broke it in and shot it more it so would go into battery more easily, I was going to try an 11 or 12 next. 

Definitely felt over sprung. 

I've recently switched over to Carry Optics, I'm using the Deltapoint pro with Springer adapter plate. I purchased the stainless steel guide rod with 14lb spring and it felt very similar to the manufacturers setup so I've cut 1.5 coils off and it seems to have helped but I'm still getting shell casings hitting my optic. I was told I either need to increase the power of my loads or continue to decrease the weight of the spring?  At what point should you stop cutting coils and just go for a lower weight spring?

I've been reading the recent posts re lower weight recoil springs with great interest, and have delayed purchasing a heavier guide rod and lower weight springs until I see more feedback from other people. But, all these posts have raised a probably silly question in my head that I am hoping someone can address, but maybe it's just dumb or naive of me to even raise it. 

The X5 is a competition pistol, I would bet virtually everyone buying it is using it in competition, unlike a lot of other pistols that are purchased for multiple reasons. Then one of the first things people are doing is lowering the recoil spring weight to get less muzzle rise and a flatter shooting pistol. Surely Sig knows people are buying the X5 for competition, and they sponsor shooters for competition that are no doubt experimenting with lower spring weights as well. So why didn't Sig, with their engineers and gunsmiths, release the X5 with an optimized recoil spring weight for flat shooting. Surely they would know what spring is optimal. Is this a liability, reliability or product lifespan issue? At the very least why not say "the X5 comes with a XX lb recoil spring, but for optimal use in competition you might want to consider using a YY lb spring"? What am I missing, or am I just off even raising this question? Any thoughts?

I suspect it's a liability reason. My guess is that while the X5 is primarily a competition pistol, a significant amount of buyers will still use hot factory loads in it which would potentially cause damage if sprung too soft.  Also, because the shooters that do want to reduce the spring rate for their soft hand loads, the spring rate would be personal preference anyway.

The one variable that sig cannot control is what ammo the end user will run through the pistol.

Having said that, the vast majority of consumers will shoot 115 grain factory fodder.  Everyone else that is shooting ammo they're loading is more than willing to tune the recoil spring to their load.

On July 9, 2017 at 11:32 PM, z40acp said:

Do a WTB here. I bet a lot of shooters have replaced with grams and the originals are new.

Thanks. Sorry for my ignorance but do I do that by starting a new topic? Not sure how to do that. Thanks.