Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Sticking to powder funnel?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bb4gun....Thanks for the tip.....I chucked up the powder funnel from my 650 in one of my lathes and took off a couple thousands so the re-sized case would slide up to the flare and then re-polished it. I loaded a thousand rounds this morning without a single case sticking...it works Awesome now....I had eliminated most of the powder getting all over the shell plate when loading except for when the case would stick...after a thousand rounds this morning, not a speck of powder anywhere....Thanks again...:) 

• 1 year later...
On 12/2/2016 at 9:00 PM, Daft said:

Have you tried one shot lube on the cases?

That is the best way I have found you will need to take a little brake cleaner to your sizing die about every 1000 rounds to avoid a stuck case works perfect. Adrian

10 hours ago, Crackpot said:

That is the best way I have found you will need to take a little brake cleaner to your sizing die about every 1000 rounds to avoid a stuck case works perfect. Adrian

Usually load 40/50000 between cleaning dies/press. Never seen oneshot (a case lube)cause a stuck case . (With pistol cases).So how could that be?

I wet clean my cases also in an ultrasonic machine. Use a Lyman M Die and just adjust the powder drop until the bar is fully over. Lube the cases with Honady One shot. I havent used the powder drop to flare my cases in quite some time. I also run a 2 pass loading operation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 12/2/2016 at 9:38 PM, Frank34 said:

Changing the time that you clean your brass won't help. The issue is the process, soap and water make the brass too clean.  What I have done is to back my powder funnel out a bit and if you get it right you will eliminate a lot of the sticking. If you have a Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel the problem can even be worse. You can try to polish both types of funnels. You can also try the 1050 powder funnel as it bells the case differently. If you take the time to experiment you will probably get the sticking down to a tolerable level. 

I’m sorry, I know this is an old post. But I got a quick question if that’s cool…

I have a XL750, and bought the Double Alpha powder funnel for 9mm. I don’t have the bullet feeder, I just wanted the powder funnel, which I just installed and it works amazing for the flaring part. What’s not so amazing is how bad it sticks to my brass. I polished it today and it helped a tiny bit. I also use Hornady case lube on my brass regardless. 
Should I back off my powder for a tad? Any ideas? I love this thing like I said, but it’s a series workout with the way this brass is sticking. Lol!

If you are using new brass, or wet tumbled brass, the lack of carbon on the inside of the cases will allow the cases to build up brass streaks, called galling, on the powder funnel. If wet tumbling, try using a car cleaner with wax in it. New brass needs to have the inner case mouth deburred to reduce this.

• 3 months later...

I have an rl1100 and got the shooting sports innovation alpha dropper. Polished reloads and I get sticking, I was told to use case lube and back off the die slowly and while I can alleviate the sticking, I cannot eliminate it all together. I am sure there’s a sweet spot but seems no matter what if you have polished brass you are going to have some level of sticking.

On 3/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, dillon said:

If you are using new brass, or wet tumbled brass, the lack of carbon on the inside of the cases will allow the cases to build up brass streaks, called galling, on the powder funnel. If wet tumbling, try using a car cleaner with wax in it. New brass needs to have the inner case mouth deburred to reduce this.

I mentioned this a long time ago, maybe they’ll believe you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 5:53 PM, PEG941 said:

I know this is an old topic and maybe you are no longer having the issue.    Try using Maguire's wax/wax combo for you soap.    That fixed most of the issues for me.  

100% truth on the Maquires. That's what I use, and it's been excellent!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2022 at 9:24 PM, ysrracer said:

I've got an easy 27 step wet tumbling process...

...nah, I'm just joking. I dry tumble for an hour, then load them. So far so good.

2 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

Don't wet tumble your brass.

yeh no kidding,,, basic corn cob media and a shot of additive of choice... WTF is wrong with these people ?
Expensive tumblers, steel pins which can ruin dies,, washing drying , oven pan bakeing..  Cleaning , putting dies on lathes ? are you kidding me ? 

17 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

yeh no kidding,,, basic corn cob media and a shot of additive of choice... WTF is wrong with these people ?
Expensive tumblers, steel pins which can ruin dies,, washing drying , oven pan bakeing..  Cleaning , putting dies on lathes ? are you kidding me ? 

Please don't bring logic and reason into an internet discussion :)

Unpopular opinion here, but I am baffled by all the effort people spend to clean 9mm brass. 

IF I clean it, its just long enough to knock range schmutz off. Maybe 30 minutes per batch. Most times it just goes straight into a bucket and gets a few sprays of One Shot when it hits the feeder hopper. If you haven't tried One Shot loading straight walled pistol cases, youre missing out. A can lasts forever, and greatly reduces effort on ram strokes. 

1 minute ago, willfully armed said:

Unpopular opinion here, but I am baffled by all the effort people spend to clean 9mm brass. 

IF I clean it, its just long enough to knock range schmutz off. Maybe 30 minutes per batch. Most times it just goes straight into a bucket and gets a few sprays of One Shot when it hits the feeder hopper. If you haven't tried One Shot loading straight walled pistol cases, youre missing out. A can lasts forever, and greatly reduces effort on ram strokes. 

I did disagree. I use an easy 17 step wet tumbling process where I clean, de prime, wet tumble, dry, tumble with pins, dry in a food dehydrator, wet tumble again, clean the primer pockets, ream the flash holes, clean again...

Or sometimes I just toss them in my walnut tumbler for any hour :)

2 minutes ago, ysrracer said:

I did disagree. I use an easy 17 step wet tumbling process where I clean, de prime, wet tumble, dry, tumble with pins, dry in a food dehydrator, wet tumble again, clean the primer pockets, ream the flash holes, clean again...

Or sometimes I just toss them in my walnut tumbler for any hour :)

You forgot annealing and checking for runout!

To each their own.  I have zero issues wet tumbling and my press runs great.  Clean with or without pins depending on the brass, and dry.  Pretty easy.  I hate dry media on/in my press when I reload ammo that has been dry tumbled.  Each method has pros and cons as everything in life does.  

I also hate breaking pins in my decapper and/or damaging my press, so yes cleaning brass is a thing.  

I also don't care how others prep their brass.  I know my process does not damage my equipment and creates ammo that goes bang every time.  That's all that is important to me.  

People are nuts I guess,,  I LMAO at all the case prep  posts..  
Oh FYI,,, dont use walnut media in a tumbler if you are subject to a no notice 6 month deployment..  
You wouldnt believe how much walnut dust can spread in a garage when left running for 6 months

Edited by Joe4d

On 8/30/2023 at 9:30 AM, Joe4d said:

People are nuts I guess,,  I LMAO at all the case prep  posts..  
Oh FYI,,, dont use walnut media in a tumbler if you are subject to a no notice 6 month deployment..  
You wouldnt believe how much walnut dust can spread in a garage when left running for 6 months

Yes but we’re your cases clean?😅
I’m surprised that all you had left wasn’t dust!