Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Sticking to powder funnel?

I have been reloading now for nearly 7 yrs.  One thing I have recently changed to my process, is cleaning the cases with steal media, water, dish soap instead of walnut shells.  I have been noticing with my 9mm loading that the case is sticking to the powder funnel on the up stroke.(releasing)  I have read the troubleshooting in the XL650 manual about this issue. 

Has anyone come across of this issue?  I don't think the powder funnel is worn, I do clean the cases for 2 hrs.

Thanks, John

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing the time that you clean your brass won't help. The issue is the process, soap and water make the brass too clean.  What I have done is to back my powder funnel out a bit and if you get it right you will eliminate a lot of the sticking. If you have a Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel the problem can even be worse. You can try to polish both types of funnels. You can also try the 1050 powder funnel as it bells the case differently. If you take the time to experiment you will probably get the sticking down to a tolerable level. 

2 hours ago, Frank34 said:

Changing the time that you clean your brass won't help. The issue is the process, soap and water make the brass too clean.  What I have done is to back my powder funnel out a bit and if you get it right you will eliminate a lot of the sticking. If you have a Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel the problem can even be worse. You can try to polish both types of funnels. You can also try the 1050 powder funnel as it bells the case differently. If you take the time to experiment you will probably get the sticking down to a tolerable level. 

Just a heads up, the S1050's powder funnel does not expand the case. On the S1050 the case is expanded during the primer pocket swaging process. 

I had the same issue when I started wet tumbling. It got so bad that the hassle of getting the galled brass off of my powder die wasn't worth the extra clean cases.

I stopped using the pins when wet tumbling (just Dawn and Lemishine) and the problem went away, and the cases are still clean enough for my liking.

3 hours ago, FTDMFR said:

I had the same issue when I started wet tumbling. It got so bad that the hassle of getting the galled brass off of my powder die wasn't worth the extra clean cases.

I stopped using the pins when wet tumbling (just Dawn and Lemishine) and the problem went away, and the cases are still clean enough for my liking.

I have a buddy at the range that does the same thing (Dawn & Lemishine)..  I'll give it a try and eliminate the pins.  Thanks

I use also Dawn and Lemi Shine added to hot water to cover the brass and let it sit over night. Next morning rinse and place on a paper towel inside a pan and let the sun dry the brass. Then I tumble for a couple hours. Lube with Dillon lube or my homemade lube. No sticking and brass looks great.

I have a buddy at the range that does the same thing (Dawn & Lemishine)..  I'll give it a try and eliminate the pins.  Thanks

30 minutes of tumbling with just Dawn and Lemishine is still cleaner than factory. YMMV.

4 hours ago, FTDMFR said:

30 minutes of tumbling with just Dawn and Lemishine is still cleaner than factory. YMMV.

WOW:D

I did an experiment on the last 9mm batch.  I cleaned for 1 hr and it made a big difference, cases did not stick to the powder funnel.  So I guess you can actually clean your cases too much!  I didn't see that one coming:mellow:

I'm cleaning a batch of .40 cal today.  I will eliminate the pins and clean for 30min, put in oven at 170 for 10 min.  And load.  I will get back with you and let you know how it went.

Thanks,

John

cleaning the cases less is obviously less work....if that works then you are fixed...

another option is to put a tiny tiny amount of imperial sizing die was or comparable product on the powder funnel. When I had that problem I'd put an tiny amount on my fingers, (I mean barely enough to even feel on your finger) and roll it onto the powder funnel every 2-300 rounds.  Reduced that sticking tremendously. Never any prob with function. 

i recently started using armor all wash and wax in my wet tumbling recipe. 1 tbsp added to the lemonshine and a small amount of Dawn. The armor all coats the brass slightly, which serves two functions. It is a mild lubricant and helps reduce that sticking on the powder funnel, and reduces the tarnish that begins hours after you dry the brass. That second issue is purely cosmetic obviously.  The lubrication feature I notice doesn't last a long time, so if you want the lubricating benefit then load the brass within a few days of cleaning it...again it helps a little, not a ton.

awhile back I 'polished' my MBF funnel and it didn't look different or reduce sticking at all.....

hornady one shot spray lube purportedly leaves no residue and does not affect function,  and is another option. Never tried it.

q

11 hours ago, FTDMFR said:

I just used Lemishine for the first time today. Boy am I surprised how clean it got the brass over just dish soap.

I'm going to try the Armorall next, because I often don't load my brass until weeks often months as I clean a 5 gallon bucket at a time.

Edited by PPGMD

• 2 weeks later...

I was wet tumbling for about 2-3 hours before. I backed it down to 1-2 depending on how dirty they are. Wasn't noticing much resistance but after reading several posts I lowered time of tumble. I also use Dillon case lube on all my cases before putting in case feeder. Also before every session I'll rub a little imperial wax on the powder drop. No issues at all. 

I've had the same problem in both my 550, and 650. When the sticking gets to be too much to put up with I rub my thumb and forefinger on my forehead, or behind my ears, then rub what skin grease I've picked up on my fingers around the nose of the expander, and no more sticky cases. At least for awhile. The process might have to be done two, or maybe three times in a hundred rounds.

It's not as gross as it sounds. ;)

30 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I've had the same problem in both my 550, and 650. When the sticking gets to be too much to put up with I rub my thumb and forefinger on my forehead, or behind my ears, then rub what skin grease I've picked up on my fingers around the nose of the expander, and no more sticky cases. At least for awhile. The process might have to be done two, or maybe three times in a hundred rounds.

It's not as gross as it sounds. ;)

Did that lol. But the imperial wax last a whole lot longer. And yeah it's GROSS. ? 

4 minutes ago, Dirtchevy841 said:

Did that lol. But the imperial wax last a whole lot longer. And yeah it's GROSS. ? 

I have a can of ImperiaI, but was reticent to use it. I was afraid I'd use too much and cause a problem with bullet seating.

Actually, the tip I just gave supposedly came from one of the Tech guys at Dillon.

2 minutes ago, MikieM said:

I have a can of ImperiaI, but was reticent to use it. I was afraid I'd use too much and cause a problem with bullet seating.

Actually, the tip I just gave supposedly came from one of the Tech guys at Dillon.

I got that tip from Dillon myself. ?. I only put a very small amount of imperial on my fingers and rub it into them really well so it's not a lot when I rub it on funnel. 

• 2 years later...