Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat vs SV

Dirtchevy841

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well there are other builders than SVI and Limcat :goof:

As someone mentioned earlier that SVI is one of the only custom builders out there who makes all of their own products in house. Otherwise the "other" guys are craftsman and artists, no so much machinists.

As someone mentioned earlier that SVI is one of the only custom builders out there who makes all of their own products in house. Otherwise the "other" guys are craftsman and artists, no so much machinists.

That's not even close to being correct, i know Matt Mclearn, Glenn Rasch, Matt Cheely, Matt Burkett and others build parts they use. I said it before Brandon makes some awesome guns but lots of gunsmith/machinist do also. I'm also not saying anything bad about SV's. Im saying others are also Gunsmith/Machinest/Artist as well. Edited by a matt

dirtchevy, I think there may have been some miscommunication perhaps with johnny lim. I can see they would charge $900 to supply and fit a steel SV or PT grip if you're sending a gun in as a customer just for a grip swap. They probably also charge $175 for mags for guys just buying mags.

If you already had a price for a build that included a plastic grip the difference to change it out for steel grip is usually around $500 or so (unless you want to keep the plastic grip too). I also imagine when you're buying a gun his tuned mags come cheaper than that. I'd say he may have made a mistake with that price.

I have an SV that has some great tech and touches in it. They certainly have been at the top of the truly custom game for a long time. As was mentioned there are other guys building parts of their own too and doing great stuff. as far as I know SVI is the only one building ALL of the parts in house though. I'm struggling to think of a piece they don't make themselves? Grip tape maybe? springs? maybe some screws or pins (but i think they do make some pins). Certainly hammer, sear, safeties, beavertail, grip, frame, slide, barrel, link, firing pin, scope mount, comp, trigger are all made in house.

Great info from everybody. Thing that also sticks out to me is customer svc. Almost everybody says SV svc is awesome and limcat sometimes is spotty. Being so far away from both builders I need the builder with a great cust svc. Don't want to be left hanging after paying someone over 5 grand for a pistol. Earlier in post I stated that I put the deposit down and started process. I actually held off and still have time to make a desicion on a builder. For that kinda money I need to be sure. Still leaning to SV for all the stuff you can do where as limcat is limited on customization.

That's not even close to being correct, i know Matt Mclearn, Glenn Rasch, Matt Cheely, Matt Burkett and others build parts they use. I said it before Brandon makes some awesome guns but lots of gunsmith/machinist do also. I'm also not saying anything bad about SV's. Im saying others are also Gunsmith/Machinest/Artist as well.

Apologies to all then. From what I understood SVI was the only one to build ALL of their own parts to build a gun.

Does anyone think it is ironic that Limcat uses Infinity grips, barrels,triggers and other parts in there guns?

The only SV part in my Limcat is the trigger bow/shoe, and that was put in at my request. Check it out on Sat.

Does anyone think it is ironic that Limcat uses Infinity grips, barrels,triggers and other parts in there guns?

The only SV part in my Limcat is the trigger bow/shoe, and that was put in at my request. Check it out on Sat.

I've seen and fondled your Han Solo blaster. That SV trigger sure is nice.

pics of the slide

2w33uon.jpg

just above the extractor is a piece broken off

11m886b.jpg

Yep I see where it has broken. This is probably a combination of the sight cut being cut that deep, using a firing pin stop with a shelf style radius and possibly a defect in the steel when the slide was forged. It probably has a lot of rounds down the pipe so that was the weak link that broke down first.

That being said, the parts made by other manufacturers can have the same issues so I wouldn't judge SVI by this one example.

Several custom builders are now moving to make their own frames and grips. Limcat is doing that now. Personally, I like the look of their new limcat steel grip - it's classy and fits their style. https://www.facebook.com/117776078250194/photos/pcb.1264179573609833/1264175386943585/?type=3&theater

Have owned both SVIs and Limcats. Only have positive things to say about both of them.

Made my decision. Going limcat after talking a lot with Julian and what I wanted. And yes they are doing there own slides, frames and grips now. Only when they get really busy and their stuff is not available that they use others parts. I will be getting their frame grip and slide for my build. Plus I shot a couple this weekend limcat pistols and where very very nice. 6 month build time instead of a 12-14. Plus a buddy I shoot with is really tight with Johnny so when it comes to getting work or anything fixed whatever he can get it done very quick. That was a big thing for me going with them s direct line to limcat. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Any comments on a *thumb rest [generic]*.

it's a personal preference thing. I would suggest it's worth trying one out. mainly It's useful to me as a grip index point. you don't really bear down on it with any pressure (if you do you'll be steering the gun around with it). it's just a place to rest your thumb and one more point of contact with the gun. they are only $30-$50. I say get one (or 2 even) and see what you like. they also vary a lot from the tiny little shelf that arredondo ship with their mount, to the slide stop one (Shooting sports innnovations make a nice one), to the normal ones that use the scope mount holes (like CR speed/rescomp or ipsc alex) then you have the massive go-gun ones... they all feel different.

To me a custom gun is not about who makes what part, you are paying for the craftsmanship and fitting of those parts to build a finely tuned machine. Give a great craftsman okay parts and he can still build a great gun. Give a poor craftsman the best of everything and you will end up with a poor gun. Both of these builders have outstanding reputations, I think at the level of the products they put out its very much about the way you want your gun to look and in that area SVI does have an advantage with more options.