Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat vs SV

Dirtchevy841

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I had the funds for either. The limcats are really unique looks wise. I'm sure either would would function fine as they are top of the line custom pistols. Some day I hope I'll have to make that decision.

I always pump Jonny's stuff. I've handled more than a few and they're all really nice. Butter smooth, bank vault lock up, run ridiculously good for how tight the tolerances are. And he's a small time outfit, so you're supporting the little guy instead of giving your money to a faceless corporation. He does this thing with his limited guns too, I don't know what it is, but they shoot incredibly flat. Just my two pennies.

He puts a tungsten sleeve on the barrels. He bores out the hole i the slide so he can put a larger sleeve on the barrels for more weight. The guns shoot stupid flat.

Plus, Johnny is incredibly involved in local clubs running uspsa and 3 gun matches in Reno and in Vacaville. He and his son are LEGIT.

They are both nice. The only thing I've found is that limcat is just about the same in price as the SV. Depending on what you get 5-800 price diff. And limcat uses other co parts. SV made in house. So for the little extra SV seemed to be the right choice. I just couldn't get over how tubed SV mags are 130 bucks and limcat a price is 175 tuned. And for me to get steel grip on limcat they wanted 1000 bucks extra. The grip doesn't even cost that much nowhere. So when it was all said and done I got a SV truly custom to what I want and 5 mags for only 600 bucks more. I would've thought the limcat would get priced better fit what you are getting with it. And like I said both are nice but for the truly custom gun SV was it for me.

I have a SVI from a customer, 5.4" wich I have to swap the steel grip to a polymer STI grip...

All the SVI's that I've had in the shop have light triggers... with creep. I'm a bullseye/PPC shooter we work the trigger instead of jurking the trigger...

I did some shots with the SVI and the screw that holds the breachface broke... done shooting

the gun is with a bushing barrel... for a pistol of that price the bushing must be tight! this one is to loose, I can turn and remove it by putting my vingertip in it...

also the slide/frame fit is not bad but not tight, the barrel has some play in the slide...

a small piece of the slide just above the extractor is broken off

so I'm not that impressed with this SVI, is not a bad gun but I have seen better for the price. there must be a reason u don't see them on bullseye/bianchi cup

I have a SVI from a customer, 5.4" wich I have to swap the steel grip to a polymer STI grip...

All the SVI's that I've had in the shop have light triggers... with creep. I'm a bullseye/PPC shooter we work the trigger instead of jurking the trigger...

I did some shots with the SVI and the screw that holds the breachface broke... done shooting

the gun is with a bushing barrel... for a pistol of that price the bushing must be tight! this one is to loose, I can turn and remove it by putting my vingertip in it...

also the slide/frame fit is not bad but not tight, the barrel has some play in the slide...

so I'm not that impressed with this SVI, is not a bad gun but I have seen better for the price. there must be a reason u don't see them on bullseye/bianchi cup

So what type of guns and mfg do you see.

Sounds like someone has tinkered with that one or it has a very high round count, because I can assure you it didn't leave the factory with any of those issues. If you read about their barrel bushing you might understand that it doesn't have to be Les Baer tight to lock up properly and give the accuracy needed.

Sounds like someone has tinkered with that one or it has a very high round count, because I can assure you it didn't leave the factory with any of those issues. If you read about their barrel bushing you might understand that it doesn't have to be Les Baer tight to lock up properly and give the accuracy needed.

I would bet High round count and poor maintenance. I would like to see pictures of the slide out of curiousity.

a broken piece on the back of the slide bad maintenance? explain that?

pistol is wel maintained and perfect lubed, often cleaned...

barrel has some marks of barrelbumb to...

SVI's are verry good pistols but they are just not the best out there... beautifull designs and a own view on how to build pistols.

the tought behind there FO front sights is great... but does not work. the "mirror" unter the FO is dirty after a few rounds and makes the front sight verry fragile. I often replace them with Dawsons...

I do repairs, tuning and build customs... the pistols I see are mostly pistols with malfunctions

a broken piece on the back of the slide bad maintenance? explain that?

pistol is wel maintained and perfect lubed, often cleaned...

barrel has some marks of barrelbumb to...

SVI's are verry good pistols but they are just not the best out there... beautifull designs and a own view on how to build pistols.

the tought behind there FO front sights is great... but does not work. the "mirror" unter the FO is dirty after a few rounds and makes the front sight verry fragile. I often replace them with Dawsons...

I do repairs, tuning and build customs... the pistols I see are mostly pistols with malfunctions

It's like all the SV guys want to make excuses for an SV with an issue or two. Humans make these guns & yes parts do break. No need trying to make this guy out to be a bad guy. It's wrong to say it must be because the owner did something to caused the SV to have issues, because it's an SV. I'm sure Brandon makes great guns. But lots of people make great guns. Badell wins with Max, Matt wins with Nikes & SV has Tilley. Believe it ir not SV can have issues (shocking) and if you use them like they are intended stuff will happen. For anyone to say it doesn't happen to SV's has been drinking way to much cool aid. Thanks and good luck to the OP with the gun I'm sure you have bought by now, going by the age of the OP. Edited by a matt

If the screw in the breach face screw is loose, that is a maintenance issue. As for the chip in the slide, that's a new one on me. I'd like to see the ejector, was it the originally installed one? can't see it in the pictures. That's a not contact area so what do you think could have caused that chip?

I think the trigger poundage is set at the customer's request, but I could be wrong.

So what type of guns and mfg do you see.

I would like to hear that also... and which manufacturer/builder has absolutely no detractors or criticism or flaws. Just curious.

I bet you Johnny has made more SV run right/better than SV has made Limcats run right/better. All the people I've known who run Limcats have had nothing but great things to say about Johnny.

When I purchased my Wildcat used from one of Johnny's friends, Johnny came up to me and told me "it's a great gun and you got a great price on it. If anything needs fixed or I want something changed I'll take care of you, just call me" 10,000+ rounds later I've only put a new recoil spring in it.

Now my buddy who got a SV because it's on the California "safe gun roster" and it went back to SV twice and still never ran right. The trigger felt like crap too. A local gunsmith finally made it work 100% and worked over the trigger.

Those are my real life limited experience with SV and Limcat. If I get another Limited gun it will be a 12 to 14 month wait and a new Limcat.

the breachface was not loose, the broken part of the screw that was still in the breachface had some Loctide on it. I have used some heat to get it out...

I think if you want a perfect pistol you have to go to Jerry Keefer, David sams, Bob MArvel, Joe Chambers, George Heunig, KC custom... they build mostly Bullseye/bianchi pistols.

I think you will have a good pistol if you by an SVI, you will have a good pistol if you buy a Limcat, CK, Freedeom, Atlas... and sometimes there wil be imperfect pistols...

few months back I had an older Les Baer ('96 I believe, with a Springfield slide and STI/trip frame) high round count, hard chromed. it was still in verry good condition...

for me as a tuner/pistolsmith I look for how things are fit, a shooter looks at his scores to see if he has a good pistol... Eric Graufel shoots wit Tanfoglio... I don't like Tanfoglio production pistols.

gr T

Well, I can only speak of my personal experience. I've purchased a total of 7 new and 2 used Infinity pistols and none of them had any of the issues you mentioned. And over the years, I've seen/handled hundreds of their pistols just prior to them being shipped to the buyer. I've never seen one less than perfect. They are cleaned and inspected for a high resolution photo prior to shipping, so I just find it hard to believe it left the factory when a piece of metal missing from the slide.....not that I can see it in your photo..

So, they may not be the best, but they are the best I've ever seen or owned.

Well, I can only speak of my personal experience. I've purchased a total of 7 new and 2 used Infinity pistols and none of them had any of the issues you mentioned. And over the years, I've seen/handled hundreds of their pistols just prior to them being shipped to the buyer. I've never seen one less than perfect. They are cleaned and inspected for a high resolution photo prior to shipping, so I just find it hard to believe it left the factory when a piece of metal missing from the slide.....not that I can see it in your photo..

So, they may not be the best, but they are the best I've ever seen or owned.

I certainly haven't nearly as many firearms as you, Trace, let alone SVIs. But I hope my testimony as a future owner of an SVI ends up to be as outstanding as yours, as it seems pretty clear that at least a couple of people wouldn't agree.

Edited by MissionaryMike

might as well kill the thread. to each their own. kool aid has wonderful properties.

Yep. Started this thread to get some advice. Pros and cons on both. My big deal is with the limcat and the price they want for it. In earlier post I said some things on prices. I just don't see paying that much for a limcat when I can get a complete custom to all of my specs done for not that much more. One biggie is the 1000 up charge for a steel grip for the limcat. They don't cust that much. Like I said SV I can get the gun built like I want with all the extras. With limcat I am kinda limited to a certain design.

Here in Holland there was a guy with a svi of 7500 euro , 2000 rounds trough and had many problems with it.

The gun had manny sharp edge's

Its looks like crap.

M drummen said, that not a 7500 worth euro gun, its a same for svi.

They didn't charge me $1000 for steel grip. More like $500

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

That's what I thought. First quote I got was for a steel grip upgrade special for actually 350. Last month sent email to Johnny to ck pricing again and received email saying steel grip upgrade was 1000 for SV and pt and 900 for his limcat grip. And extra mags went up to 175 each. That's what kinda put me off was the price changes from the first time I spoke with him.