Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best reliability Single Stack 1911 9mm Magazines?

bluesman2a

Thanks for all the replies!

I get that there's not a simple answer.. And that's why I came here, I knew you guys would steer me correctly.

So I ordered mags today, a couple more Dawson's, a wilson, a Tripp, and a metalform. I know the dawsons run well in what I have, but it'll be nice to have the others on hand for troubleshooting purposes as I finish my current and future builds.

Suggest Metalform as one runs in everything. Use Wilson's in my STI Trojan but removed two coils from the magazine spring

to get them to run with light recoil springs in the gun.

When your magazines come in remove the slide, insert the magazine and check to see if it clears the ejector. If there is pressure

on the ejector it will break the pin that holds the ejector or the ejector tip,

Use a business card to check should be enough clearance to use the card as a go no go gauge between the ejector with

up pressure on the magazine base pad. A large number of magazines will hit the ejector.

Of all the 9mm 1911 mags I've tried, Tripp are my favorite for ease of use, reliability, etc.

Wilson ETM mags work well in my Wesson, but I also had to trim a single coil to make them easy to seat.

• 1 year later...

I have noticed that the Tripp mags will allow the top round to be pulled forward by the slide and make it difficult to drop the mag, I would like to use them since the 45 mags have been so great in my other gun. Does anyone know a fix for this issue?

otherwise I've been using the Wilson mags without issue so I may just stick with them

30 minutes ago, Akkid17 said:

Does anyone know a fix for this issue?

Yeah, use Metalform mags. You can't get rounds out of those mags without using a tool.

Sounds like a pain until you realize most of the time you unload them through the gun barrel, and when unloading manually you're not on the clock.

13 hours ago, robertg5322 said:

Yeah, use Metalform mags.

Haha, Fair enough. I'll probably stick with the Wilsons then, same deal with needing a tool to unload them and they don't spit rounds out before they're going into the chamber. I guess I was just hoping someone could convince me to spend 50 a mag. 

Don't know if there is a best mag for any pistol.  I use Wilson and McCormick in an STI 1911 Trojan and both work fine.  There are a lot of good 1911 magazines on the market.  Find what fits you application the best.

Used ACT and like them the best.  Remover the base plate and cleaning couldn't be easier.  But....  All 10 mags cracked on the rear, top at the base of the "ears" after approximately 700-800 rnds through the pistol using 10 magazines.  Could not get the anyone associated with ACT to contract me.  Will not use the words I now associate with ACT mags and customer service in the forum....  I now have 10 followers, springs, base pads, and base plates as spares, and 10 useless magazine tubes.

I didn't reload when i was shooting my 9mm 1911 and ran tripp cobra mags flawlessly out of my sti sentry.  I only had 2 malfunctions out of 10k rounds and one was with a wilson etm magazine (others have had good luck with them)  the other was with a bad factory round.  

If i do decide to get another 1911, i will pick it up in .40 and would buy tripp mags in a heartbeat  

• 2 weeks later...

I use Wilsons and Tripp in my Range Officer.  Both work well, but there is a quirk with the Tripp mags. 

If I eject a partially loaded mag, the top round either hangs up and doesn't let the mag drop free, or the top round falls out after the mag.  I have a tough time using a Tripp mag as my "Barney mag" for this reason, unless I load one round ONLY in it.  It is aggravating to drop a round on the ground unnecessarily while loading to "make ready", or when unloading to "show clear".  I called the manufacturer, and they said this is due to the way the top of the magazine is made, and nothing can be done to stop that.  

My Wilson mags don't do that.  

Good news is, I haven't had a single malfunction while firing with either brand of mag.  

Edited by Ken6PPC

I found the stock Checkmates ran the most reliably for my DW Pointman 9.    I tried the Wilsons (because they are the best right?), and they did not work well for me at all.   Ended up buying more Checkmates and they have run great.

Edited by LMS
spelling correction

Dawson and the Brownells mags which are also based on Metalforms.  As a matter of fact they seem identical to Dawson except for the black finish, plastic base instead of metal and the price!  I've never had a malfunction with them in my Trojan but the Dawson drop quicker with the increased weight metal base.  You can always put the Dawson base on them if you want but that puts the price right with the Dawson.