Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Edge, which mags?

mlmiller1

Ok, after years of shooting glocks, I am going to dip my toe into the "other side". I've got a deal going on a new Edge in .40 & I need mags. What do you guys think about the MBX mags? They claim 21rds in a 140mm from the factory. Plenty of folks say they can make/fix/tune their STI tubes to do that but by the time you buy the secret parts, you've spent nearly that much & maybe they do & maybe they don't hold 21 & work. Obviously after all the glock years, I am used to reliability so that is what I'm looking for. If you have experience with the MBX, please give me the good & the bad of them. If you know where to buy reliable 21s or even easily reloadable 20s, please let me know that as well. At the present, since this is more of an experiment than a full turn to guns with a hammer, I don't want to be buying a bunch of different tubes & springs & followers hoping to get the magic number. I just want to buy a couple of good reliable mags that hold 20 or more. Thanks!

I have been using the MBX mags for about a year, they will hold 20 for reloads and some will allow you to start with 21. When they first came out all of mine would hold 21 but I had feeding issues after a couple of months, Adrian told me to send them back. He returned them with new springs and followers but the capacity was reduced but they have run 100% since. I also have STI mags that hold 20 and a couple that hold 21 but they wont lock into the gun. The MBX mags are a good they cost a little more but they should be good to go when you get them.

Obviously after all the glock years, I am used to reliability so that is what I'm looking for.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! I have very reliable open guns built on the STI platform and they are nowhere near as reliable or easy to maintain as a Glock.

I don't want to be buying a bunch of different tubes & springs & followers hoping to get the magic number. THATS JUST NOT HOW IT WORKS IN THE 2011 WORLD. Buy STI TUBES , grams springs and followers and base pads of your choice . Polish the tubes inside and out for smoothness. You'll easily get the capacity you are looking for.

MBX is okay, but you may or may not get the capacity you want. To get 29 loadable in my .38 170mm mag I had to buy TTI spring & follower (more money).

My STI 140s and 170s work fine. Bought the tunes, Grams spring/follower, and TTI base pads (4G for the 170, to make the gauge, and 7G for the 140s, to make 24 reoladable). No secrets, just a lot of shooters' experiences.

STI 140's, TTI pads, Grams spring and follower. I also tuned my mags with the Dawson Mag Tuning kit. This combo gives me a very reliable 20. Don't know fi this is true for Glocks but keep in mind that when the 2011mags are at max capacity you will have to slap those puppies in a little harder than with a small load.

Hello: Buy the STI 140mm Tubes, Dawson base pads, Dawson Followers and ISMI springs from Shooters Connection. 20 rounds reloadable and reliable. Will last for years. The new STI tubes are a lot better than they used to be. Don't get hung up on the 21 round mag thing since most stages now have a place to reload because of the single stack friendly stages. I would get 4 but 5 is better. Thanks, Eric

I have 4 Brazos tunes magazines that have never given me any issues. I also have several other STI magazines that I have tuned with the help of Dawson's tuning kit that work just as well. I also have one MBX 170mm magazine that has given me good service. It has the MBX spring and follower and although I can get 30 in it, it doesn't function reliably. It does work fine with just 29 rounds.

I've been using factory SVI 140mm .40 mags for the past 20 years w/o out any problems - never had to "tune" them. Only replaced the springs and followers. When I had a STI/SVI/YourNameHere Super, I used factory SVI 140/170mm mags without any need to "tune" them either. Don't know why you would buy a gun from a factory that has substandard magazines that supposedly need "tuning" to make them work.

I've been using factory SVI 140mm .40 mags for the past 20 years w/o out any problems - never had to "tune" them. Only replaced the springs and followers. When I had a STI/SVI/YourNameHere Super, I used factory SVI 140/170mm mags without any need to "tune" them either. Don't know why you would buy a gun from a factory that has substandard magazines that supposedly need "tuning" to make them work.

New SV mags are no longer compatible with other 2011's. Old style SV bring a hefty premium. Stick STI mags work but they don't have the capacity we desire if left stock

MBX - BUT where does it say 21? All four of mine will take 20, reloadable, period.

right on the home page of their website.

http://www.mbxextreme.com/index.php?page=home

1. All 141.25mm .40 Cal/10mm magazines hold 20-21 rounds."

I've only seen 20 but they ran perfect from day one, i'm happy. ;)

Edited by Chutist

As others have said... .40 mags aren't rocket science. Pretty easy to put together some good mags.

STI tubes, TTI guts, and a TTI 4mm pad.

Grams and TTI followers are almost exactly the same thing, so use interchangeably. Grams springs are OK, but TTI are lasting longer for me.

You really have to use Dawson SNL pads if you want a for SURE 20 re loadable, and then they may or may not lay in a gauge. I'd just use TTIs.

As others have said... .40 mags aren't rocket science. Pretty easy to put together some good mags.

Grams and TTI followers are almost exactly the same thing, so use interchangeably. Grams springs are OK, but TTI are lasting longer for me.

You really have to use Dawson SNL pads if you want a for SURE 20 re loadable, and then they may or may not lay in a gauge. I'd just use TTIs.

Ya there are several ways to get it done but MBX is 20 reloadable and I don't have to assemble anything.... And if there's an issue, I've got one person to call. ;)

Ah ha. Two camps.

One.... buy parts, assemble, always work if you buy the right ones & tweak them

Two.... buy MBX, always work except rare occasion. No tweaking.

Oh, the third camp is buy from Brazos custom already built & tweaked. Not bad but is an extra $20 over the MBX per mag. Bob does nice work.

Only downside to either of the first two is the tweaking & evidently that is pretty simple once you spend $100 for the tools.

Until I get experience fooling with this type of gun, I think I will go for option 2. It's within $10 of the cost of the others that you have to tweak. I may regret that but we will see. I appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you!!!!!

MLM

Ya there are several ways to get it done but MBX is 20 reloadable and I don't have to assemble anything.... And if there's an issue, I've got one person to call. ;)
Then why ask? They'll cost you more though but if you want to keep it so simple just buy the MBX and hope the bugs are finally worked out if the ones you get.:)

I had no luck with MBX. I had way to many issues with them when I tried to run them.

I have 4 brazos tuned mags and they have worked great. They are 20, 19 reloadable and just fit the gauge.

I have my main 4 that I put together. Sti tubes, grams guts, and TTI 4g2 basepads. They are untuned and 2 are 21, 20 reloadable and the othe 2 are 20, 20 reloadable. I They have ran great for 2 years without issue and fit with room in the gauge.

I like to put a little grip tap on the bottom. I can't do that with the brazos.

On a side note, I hardly ever load any of them past 19.