Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What gun for small hands?

GARD72977

My girlfriend wants to start shooting with me. She has very small hands and Im worried about her reaching the trigger. Im thinking maybe a Sig320 but have not been able to try one with a small grip frame. What are some choices for small hands?

The CZ75 frame is great for small hands IMO. The only issue is going to be the trigger reach in DA.

Completely disagree with the CZ75. One of the better reasons is the DA trigger reach. The reach to all of the controls including the safety can be too much for small hands. The wrong grips and the wrong trigger make it even worse. M&P, PPQ and VP9 are my recommendations. For another choice, S&W K and L frame revolvers are not bad at all for smaller hands.

The CZ75 frame is great for small hands IMO. The only issue is going to be the trigger reach in DA.

Completely disagree with the CZ75. One of the better reasons is the DA trigger reach. The reach to all of the controls including the safety can be too much for small hands. The wrong grips and the wrong trigger make it even worse. M&P, PPQ and VP9 are my recommendations. For another choice, S&W K and L frame revolvers are not bad at all for smaller hands.

Every hand is different. I have fairly small hands and use a Shadow. The only thing I can't reach with my strong hand thumb is the slide release. I simply use my support hand thumb when rebuilding my grip if I need to. Most of the time it auto-forwards.

Like most people shooting 75's, the safety isn't used. That just leaves the mag release. My thumbs are pretty short and I don't have a problem reaching it but like I said, every hand is different.

I started shooting Sig's and then the XDm in Steel Challenge and then USPSA. The thing I like about the CZ is that I'm able to really grip the gun properly. Much better than I was ever able to grip the xdm with small grip or sig.

Part of what I feel makes the CZ great for small hands is simply the numerous number of aftermarket grips available.

Edited by d_striker

I have always wanted a cricket.

.... I give this advice from some strong responses.

rent a few pistols and start with the smaller ones.

the feel that she has control over the pistol is more important than anything else

... at first.

one woman I know said the 22 was not what she wanted and found a ruger 9mm

to be the ticket

and another seemed to think the 22 was about all the joy she wanted

the 9mm was not under her control.

the thing I see is that starting small-ish will not insult most women

but starting off too oversized will scare them enough that they will not try smaller.

good luck!

miranda

Hey I had a girlfriend who had hands like a 1/4" bigger than mine. She was a German girl around 5'6". I am only 5'9" and weight 165lbs but I have small Asian hands and the M&P is nice for smaller hands. I use the medium size core grips with my M&P 5" CORE, used the small grips first but they were a little to small for me and I found the girth of the medium was better for me.

If she has really small kid hands go with a S&W shield or Glock 43 single stacks. If your really nice go buy her a 1911. Single stacks are very thin, some think the .2" or whatever is not much but the feel of a single stack is very different.

But most importantly go take her to a range that has a lot of firearms they rent out and have her shoot them. Many men buy firearms for the women in their lives and buy a gun that they personally like not a gun that is suited to their partner.

Edited by Yibomb

As an instructor, I find it funny how most new women shooters parrot what their husbands or boyfriends idea of the prefect brand. A lot times with the "it worked for me, it will work for you" approach. Some times it works most often it don't(watching little women struggle with a .40 or worse a .45). After, they shoot for themselves, they develop their own sense of what they like and need. As long as it is fun to shoot. I agree with the idea of taking them to range where you can rent the guns you both want to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have small hands and find the CZ 85 & TS not the ideal fit out of the box. But with some grips changes, it is one of my favorites. My EDC is a SIG P250 The grips are adjustable to different hand size (S, M, L). I believe this format applies to the P320.

The P250 was my first gun is DAO and I highly recommend for consideration

I went through this process with my wife this week. She ended up with a G19 gen 3.

She handled a dozen pistols at various stores, and narrowed it down to 4.

Then we went to a range and rented all 4. After 60 rounds, she had her winner.

If I had chosen one for her it would have been the G19. But I kept my YAP shut, and she

made the choice.

Oh, we did narrow down the caliber to 9mm due to her experience level dealing with recoil.