Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not a fan of the Dillon Roller Handle

For 23 years I used the stock handle on my 650. Life was good and I had no complaints. So last year I bought the roller handle. After using it for a year I do not like it. The few things that I don't like are what appears or feels like a flex at the ends of the strokes. It is like it is giving way to much leverage. It has totally thrown off my feel for the machine. Maybe that is just my 23 year habit with the old handle. In addition I can not get use to the wide roller as opposed to the ball in my hand.

I did not order one for my new 650 but I will give the roller handle one more year on the old press before making a final decision.

if its like the one on the 550b its very hard to get it tight enough on the press and it tends to rotate when you push to seat a primer. Thats the only thing I dont like about the one on the 550b, otherwise its nicer than the magic 8 ball.

The 1050 handle is better because its a set screw design so it doesnt rotate, however the actual roller is not round, its a triangle-ish shape, which I dont care for either.

After almost ten years of pulling the triangular handle of my 1050 I went with the Inline Fabrication ergo handle. Like it so much I got one for my single stage RCBS too. I like it so much I decided I really don't need a Mark 7. Did I mention that I like it?

I have the U shaped roller handle on my 550 and love it. I also can't get a link to copy/paste right now either, but like 9x45 said above, search eBay and it 's the first one that came up. $23.95 and worth it to me,

It is definitely a different feel but I like mine. I load so much at one time that the ball handle was making my fingers go numb from the pressure in the palm of my hand. The roller handle spreads the pressure out more. It does have a tendency to rotate after a while and I have to keep readjusting it. But....overall, I like it.

I love the roller handle, but I add some foam tape at the left end, that substantially reduces the fatigue, because that is there the bones meet the metal. Just two turns of 1" wide adhesive foam tape does the trick.

Which Dillon roller handle do you have? I bought the first style which the handle is made of plastic and fairly large. It was a big improvement on the stock ball handle, which ended up on a Lee turret press. The newer anodixed aluminum handles look nice but also looked smaller in diameter, which I thought would be less comfortable.

I had the IF ergo roller handle on my LnL AP, and it was OK. I like the round aluminum roller handle that came with my Super 1050 much better. It might be the height the 1050 is at compared to the LnL that is making the difference, but it just feels better in the hand for a couple hours of pressing out cartridges.

I have the Dillon roller with the triangle shape plastic which I've used and loved for years. I just recently add the uniqutek foam cover to it and it's even better. Even during my longest loading sessions there is no discomfort.