Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Secrets to Making a 9 Major Run (with vertical mount?)

MikeRush

I can't stand 90 degree mounts. I'm nearly persuaded to run 9 Major, but since I typically tune feeding/extraction/ejection myself I'm a bit concerned about running it with an upright mount. I don't want to run an offset mount if I can help it.

I've seen references on the forum to modern smiths building reliable 9 Majors with upright mounts, but the actual reliability work seems to be a carefully guarded secret known only to a handful of builders (i.e. Vidanes brothers, Gans, etc).

I'm planning on an Aftec and starting with an extended Caspian ejector. I'm familiar with general ejection tuning concepts and adjusting the contact point of the ejector to alter trajectory of the outgoing case, but is there some other voodoo that can be shared? It would seem that a single sided C More mount and the lowest ejection port I can get away with would help.

I would probably save some heartache by asking my smith to just do the whole thing, but I like understanding what is done and being able to DIY. I think I can get there with trial and error, but I'd prefer to draw on the forum's knowledge to shorten the learning curve and be able to get to work sooner if possible.

I have been shooting two TruBor's, worked over by Brazos and another firm.

They both run like tops - with the original vertical C-More.

Only time they did not work was when they needed a new spring in the

mag or gun - changed springs, and back to work.

There is NO voodoo - run your upright C-More - all is well. :cheers:

Aftec propperly prepped and installed combined with one of brazos' tuned ejectors (or an ejector that you have tuned yourself according to the article that bob published in front sight, you can find it on his webpage). For full happiness don't feed it random range brass. If you a look at a handfull of range pickup with a united nations worth of headstamps and measure the rims and extractor groves you'll see one of the reasons (in my opinion) people have issues with 9mm major. I like Federal/speer/winchester myself. Some people seem to get away with mix and match brass but looking at the differences in the way different cases ejected in my guns when i started with 9mm major ( 7 or 8 years ago) has convinced me to stick with major domestic makers for my brass.

As far as the Cheely offset - I picked up a used gun that had a Cheely offset installed. I was prepared to install a double tap c-more mount as I didn't like the idea of an offset mount, but figured I'd try the offset for a while. Within about 10 minutes of dry firing I quite noticing the offset and have since forgotten all about it. Right now I am not seeing any reason to change mounts the Cheely offset is a good mount.

Hello: You want the round to come out flat and slightly behind you. I use a 7 foot over and 4 foot back as a good starting point for the cases to land in a nice little pile. You will have to play with the angle on the ejector and the length as well. Start long and play with different angles to see what it does to the ejection. The EGW ejector are nice a long allowing you to experiment. Buy two so you will have a spare once you get it right. I am going to try the Cheely offset mount on my next build to see if I can actually use a upright mount. I don't mind the 90 degree mounts at all. I do not have to change the ejection port on a STI or Caspian slide to make it work. Thanks, Eric

I'd be interested in which 3 of the 4 Open Nationals top shooters used RTS2s?

I just took a look to see what I could find. Chris Tilley was using one with a somewhat unique mount (saw it in St George, don't know who makes it) that brings it back to where the rear sight would sit. Shannon Smith (it appears) had one on a Doubletap mount, and Kincaid Ross had one on a Limcat mount.

Max had a traditional C-More in a plain upright mount.

Have you given any thought to running a RTS2? I love mine and it eliminates the ejection concerns. 3 of the top 4 finishers at Open Nationals were using one.

Which 3?
1. Chris Tilley

3. Shannon Smith

4. Kincaid Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a GAN's in 9mm with an upright normal Cmore mount. I have only experienced ejection problems when my Aftec had a broken piece, .....once was a little spring broke in half and twice a cup ear broke off. These problems happened years apart. In between, as you can guess, the gun runs flawless.

Here is the thing, I am fairly meticulous with my reloading procedures. I don't deviate, I don't experiment, I don't fiddle faddle farting around with anything.

I think if you tune correctly and have good reloading discipline, you'll be fine. I don't think it's as much a secret as maybe it's some just produce ammo in a careless fashion and when the gun pukes they blame it on being a nine.

I can tell you that my ejector is probably shorter than what you'd be use to seeing. At least it is compared to others I've looked at. I don't know if this is a "secret" or not, but it does run like a top!

Good luck.

PS.......I'm with you, I just hate offset mounts. I might could get used to one, but the purest in me thinks it detracts from the guns appearance. Additionally, I just can't get over the fact that the offset mounts seem to be a solution to a problem THAT DOESNT EXIST IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SMITH. Running one on my gun would be like admitting that someone didn't know what they were doing,.......but that is only MHO.

Edited by Chris iliff

I appreciate the suggestions! It sounds like it might not be so difficult after all.

The mount that Chris Tilley was using would appear to completely avoid covering the ejection port. Unfortunately I already have a traditional CMore ready to go for this and I haven't found that mount anywhere. It would seem that bringing the dot rearward would reduce perceived dot lift but I haven't ever tried anything along those lines.

Have you given any thought to running a RTS2? I love mine and it eliminates the ejection concerns. 3 of the top 4 finishers at Open Nationals were using one.

Which 3?
1. Chris Tilley

3. Shannon Smith

4. Kincaid Ross

All run .38 NOT 9mm. The biggest thing with the RTs or RTs2 is the dot reliability. It may solve the ejection issue but if you have no dot than to me that's a bigger issue than an ejection problem. Cmore needs to fix the sight (SV only issue or not) then most will be running the RTs2, I would think.. Cheers I have been corrected about them all shooting 9mm. Thanks Edited by a matt

Which 3?
1. Chris Tilley

3. Shannon Smith

4. Kincaid Ross

All run .38 NOT 9mm. The biggest thing with the RTs or RTs2 is the dot reliability. It may solve the ejection issue but if you have no dot than to me that's a bigger issue than an ejection problem. Cmore needs to fix the sight (SV only issue or not) then most will be running the RTs2, I would think.. Cheers

Shannon and Kincaid both shoot 9 Major. Not sure about Tilley.

I've had just about every mount made. I even look my gun with an offset mount and I seem to focus on the offset rather than the dot. The gun just does not present correctly. The 90 degree works 100%, but the gun's balance is off. I just began experimenting with the RTS2 and I think that is the way to go. The gun is balanced and no ejection tuning needed.

I've had just about every mount made. I even look my gun with an offset mount and I seem to focus on the offset rather than the dot. The gun just does not present correctly. The 90 degree works 100%, but the gun's balance is off. I just began experimenting with the RTS2 and I think that is the way to go. The gun is balanced and no ejection tuning needed.

What mount are you using?