Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-8x Scopes?

bigkyle72

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My limited experience.

After shooting out to 500 yards last year at Fallen Brethren 3 Gun with a Leupold Mk6, it left me wanting more. I looked into a few options and eventually purchased a Bushnell 1 to 8.5. I kept the Mk6 on my backup gun and ran the bushnell this year when I wasn't running a dot. I can say that it's nice to have to have the extra magnification. Sure you can see the targets with 1 to 6 but its nice to be able to see the splash and get the hold for the wind with that extra bit of magnification. It's still a true 1x but I still find myself using the 45 degree irons instead of the dot at 1x. We shot a target at 600 this year and I hit it on the third round only because I was able to see the bullet splash and hold for wind.

Theory

They say when running a precision gun you need at least 1 power per 100 yards, so in theory a 10x is good out to 1k. Applying that theory a 1 to 4 and a 1 to 6 should be good out to 400 and 600 yds respectively. I think looking at the matches that you will be attending and the max distance you'll be engaging targets should help determine what magnification would benefit you most.

Reticle

I used my buddies vortex jm, the bdc reticle was on but I really prefer front focal plane scopes. Being able to use the reticle at any magnification is an added plus. The Bushell has a mil type reticle so I zerod at 200 yds and got my dope out to 770 yds, due to range limitations, wrote it on a piece of index card, laminated and stuck it to the side of my scope. The Mk6 has an awesome reticle with references for wind, but it doesn't match my drop, its close but still have to remember exactly where to hold on the reticle with the bullet/rifle combo I'm running.

Conclusion

If I had to spend the money again I'd buy the Bushnell all over, I'm kinda hoping they come out with a G2 or Horus reticle that way I could use it double duty as a midrange scope on .308 gas gun, plus it'd be nice to have something to reference for wind/hold.

Please excuse any typos/grammatical errors I wrote this using the swipe function on my phone.

Johnny G

I have to disagree about the Mk6's distance limitation. We have the Mk6 and although it's far from the best scope at 1x, I think it's one of the best 1-nx scopes for distance shooting. We haven't really had issues with it only being a 6x. Here's a review I wrote including some shooting at 843 yards with it:

http://gunpositive.com/leupold-mk6-1-6x-cmr-w-5-56-a-review-and-some-shooting-at-long-distance/

We can spot .223 splash at 900 yards with it, albeit in close to ideal spotting conditions. As long as the wind isn't too crazy we can get a decent hit ratio at 907 yards on a full-sized steel torso with a 16" DD upper and 75gr handloads.

3.5 power feels like cheating, 8 power would give up far to much FOV for me. I am toying with a 1-6 for trooper this year any don't think I would much care for that without a side dot. I will say that the 1x on a better 1-6 is as good as my pris.

I did well with my old 4x Meopta at both Iron Man and Blue Ridge, so I dont really see a a great need for anything beyond 4x.

However, if you can have more power and it's not really costing you anything (except money), why not?

Im extremely happy with everything about my Z6is and until I see something that has the same quality glass, reticle dot brightness and overall quality, Im not going to move to an 8x. In addition, I'd also like an 8x to have a SFP dot and FFP reticle and so far I havent seen any options on the market that fulfill all my requirements.

I have to say that I object STRONGLY to this trend. The more shooters get to rely on magnification, the lazier Match Directors are apt to become when it comes to proper target presentation. I am a stickler for painting targets and using a proper, contrasting backer at all my matches. Nothing pisses me off more than a lazy MD who puts targets out with no backer because he can see them just fine through his scope. :angry2:

I have to say that I object STRONGLY to this trend. The more shooters get to rely on magnification, the lazier Match Directors are apt to become when it comes to proper target presentation. I am a stickler for painting targets and using a proper, contrasting backer at all my matches. Nothing pisses me off more than a lazy MD who puts targets out with no backer because he can see them just fine through his scope. :angry2:

One of the many reasons I LOVE the SMM3G Match!!! And this is the match to shoot Limited!

Technology moves on and I like the trend personally. I agree backers should be used however. I am starting to think that perhaps different targets should be used for those divisions using obsolete technology (irons 1x). Either larger targets at the same range or keep the ranges shorter for those classes.

pat

Technology moves on and I like the trend personally. I agree backers should be used however. I am starting to think that perhaps different targets should be used for those divisions using obsolete technology (irons 1x). Either larger targets at the same range or keep the ranges shorter for those classes.

pat

That just means more work for overworked workers. I say give the customer what they want...SMM3G fills is seconds...and has great target definition

and targets suitable to carbines. Seems to be a winning (with the customer) formula.

Other matches do other things, I just don't think we need all 3 gun matches to be 8X power events.

And as one with the vision of a brick bat I can not thank you enough for doing this at your matches. (Whine mode on) There is nothing I find more frustrating than searching forever for a target that is in my FOV. I also like to believe that the folks that are beating me are doing it because they shoot better than I do, not because they can whip my ass at the ophthalmologist's office. (Whine mode off).

I am confused, what does throwing two rounds down range to avoid a FTE have to do with 1-8X optics?

Limit to 6X? so we now need to have optics limited? I mean really? Anything over 1X is a waste anyway, but that is coming from a die hard Iron sight shooter.....No, real Iron sights! :lol:

Do you guys know that Kurt (arguably one of, if not the best USA Iron sight shooters) wears prescription shooting glasses?

I do too, but I Kurt has been much more loyal to the Iron's only than I.

Not being able to see the the targets with the naked eye (or with Rx eye-wear) is THE problem! And one the too many MD's don't care to address.

This poor thread is off the rails...sorry, but Trapr and Kurt and others have recommended 4 MOA targets no matter the distance and those targets

should be set to show up in nearly any lighting conditions expected during the match.

If that recommendation were followed...the clamor for 6 and 8 power scopes would not be a clamor, but a "hmm I was thinking of upgrading for no particular reason."