Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3gun Limited Optic choices

cactusbrew

I have browsed around and haven't seen a thread discussing limited class optics, so I figured I would post it up.

This last year, I shot limited with an aimpoint red dot and wanted to know what other non-magnified optics guys are using and using well. I have seen Eotechs and even some trijicons, so is there anything else out there people are using?

If you are using a non-magnified optic, what is it, what reticle are you using, and why?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest another forum search. You'll find conversations like this one (among many):

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=212201

I used "Burris 1x" as my search string, so I did cheat a little. I knew some of the prior discussions. But keywords like Limited and Optic were in the thread titles. I hope we have information that you find useful.

We've had a few chats this year. In particular, the Burris offering has had big conversations.

Just used the new JP J-Point with 65 min. circle and 1 minute dot. Worked great, took a bunch of weight off my gun compared to the EOTech I was using. Sits low so I took the cheekpiece off the stock and saved a bit there. Worked fine. I messed up my sight picture on the 275 - 300+ targets at Gen III and was too old and slow so I ran out of time on the 385 target but the sight worked great. Dot didn't "flare", stayed sharp. Only complaint is the adjustments are still for the close range pistol sight so zeroing at 300 yds. takes some very, very small movements of the allen head screws. Just had to be patient and move them very little.

I have been using iron sights for several years, using a variable iris that closes down to .035 on my iron sights I was able to continue with irons as I got older, but now things (like the front sight) are getting too fuzzy.

Tried an $600 Eotec, the dot(s) just were not crisp enough for long range, 300+.

Tried a $700 Aimpoint, the dot turned into a diagonal line or smear when I put on safety glasses.

Tried the Leupy DCD, the mounting system sucks, and the add on illumination modual did too.

Tried the Burris AR-1X, just could not sort out or use the reticle.

Now using the Vortex Spit Fire with good results. DCD etched reticle with daylight visable illumination in both red and green (or black non illuminated). Good solid mount, only thing you have to pay close attention to is getting the focus correct.

I think the Spit Fire is a keeper!

jj

I use an eotech when I shoot a dot and it is OK.

I got to look at the new trij MRO at pro am....really sweet. Should be out soon. I would give it some consideration. Especially for <$500 with the mount.

Edited by Lead-Head

I have been using iron sights for several years, using a variable iris that closes down to .035 on my iron sights I was able to continue with irons as I got older, but now things (like the front sight) are getting too fuzzy.

Tried an $600 Eotec, the dot(s) just were not crisp enough for long range, 300+.

Tried a $700 Aimpoint, the dot turned into a diagonal line or smear when I put on safety glasses.

Tried the Leupy DCD, the mounting system sucks, and the add on illumination modual did too.

Now using the Vortex Spit Fire with good results. DCD etched reticle with daylight visable illumination in both red and green (or black non illuminated). Good solid mount, only thing you have to pay close attention to is getting the focus correct.

jj

Are you me? Thats the same exact progression I took and moved from one to the next for the same reasons. I actually liked the Burris but after using it at RM3G and MGM Ironman, I realized the center dot did a good job of making long targets disappear.

In what world is the DCD daylight visible? i think you were joking. but if you take off the illumination module it allows to you to mount it with a 30mm ring- thus solving the mounting issue

Not sure who you meant this comment for...

The Vortex Spitfire IS daylight visible...

jj

Loopy prismatic with no illumination in a custom milled Seekins ring. It took a bit of getting used to not having a red dot, but I am quite content with it now. It is tough as all get out, tiny center dot, and just works well with my vision and the way I like to shoot. I don't miss the illumination, thought I would, but I will take that super small crisp center dot over anything with any kind of bloom or the faintest hint of offset. I don't need or want any kind of BDC or secondary hold over points. Plus I figure with everyone moving to whatever the next cool guy optic is, I should be able to pick up a back up or 2 on the cheap!

jj

This is exactly what I was looking for. I have been using a red dot, have tried a friends eotech, and am glad to read of others progressions.

I think I might swing by the store and see if I can finger a spitfire. You also cannot beat the price point.

Thanks for the info.

I use an eotech when I shoot a dot and it is OK.

I got to look at the new trij MRO at pro am....really sweet. Should be out soon. I would give it some consideration. Especially for <$500 with the mount.

The MRO looks like it'll be great competition for the aimpoints, especially with a sub $500 price.

The only thing aimpoint has at that price point is the M2 and PRO.

This could be a great sight on a home defense weapon.

jj

Are you me? Thats the same exact progression I took and moved from one to the next for the same reasons. I actually liked the Burris but after using it at RM3G and MGM Ironman, I realized the center dot did a good job of making long targets disappear.

I just wish the iron sights still worked, but my eyes won't let them...

jj

I got a good deal on a Spitfire and needed something for a 12.5" lightwieght rifle. Threw it on and LOVE it.

Will never go back to a red dot. The SF is very crisp for me. It's the perfect non magnified reticle. I also prefer green illumination, which it has. I often don't use illumination on a bright day with white plates and cardboard. Have only shot it once in a match, but can't wait to shoot more. Have shot it a bit at the range. I love the warranty and couldn't be more satisfied. Paid like $200 for it. Red dots now seem clunky.

Haven't tried the Burris, but would certainly like to. Love these prism sights!

Depends on your eyes. If you have astigmatism and or cataracts-tough to deal with. If you don't plain vanilla iron sights are good. Unless you're over 40 and have lost accommodation. I have new, expensive eyes and my Colt SP1 c. 1972 goes blammo on the 400 yd gong every time. A1 sights. Different shooters preferences are because their eyes are different. I think a trip to SHOT is the only way to check out all these sights at one time. Unless you have a super gun store near you that stocks all these things. Don't know of one offhand, but somebody might. If your eyes are good, I love iron sights.