Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bad day at range. Blew up my 929

AzShooter

Well the day stated out pretty good as I went to test my loads with a number of different bullets.

When I tried my 3.2 grains of V V 320 with a 147 grain bullet on the first shot I locked the cylinder up.

After inspection I found that the cylinder had blown up.

Now it goes back to Smith & Wesson for repairs. I was just getting to like this gun.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you worried about coming to California because of it's gun laws. Just look at the results of the major matches held here. There are more Open and LTD shooters than L10.

Uhm....ok....? ... Thanks?...I think

I think that it is a instant felony to be caught in Kalifornia with a high cap mag if you are not a state resident. it is one of the reasons I have a commander length single stack for traveling into Kali. Thanks for inviting us to break the law though

sorry to here about this Steve.

I went outside to check were a 6.4 gr of vv320 is and it is about 1/16" from the top of a 9mm case. with a 147 gr zero and 3.2 gr of vv320, you can seat the bullet .300" (1.105 OAL) before it starts to compress the powder.

Edited by JohnRodriguez

I know a guy who blew up a 627 cylinder. Just the cylinder, not the top strap. He was running a TG load in Short Colt that would have been hot under a 115 9mm under a 158 GR Berrys. Calculated the pressure on that one at 60K+ PSI - I'm assuming you made similar pressure somehow.

3.2 N320,160 2 Alpha Bullets coated, seated 1.160. Now these are short colt loads and no pressure problem. I have a friend who runs 3.7 N320 and Berry 158's in short colt and no pressure problems. Sorry about your revolver.

post-132-0-80014300-1441416583_thumb.gif

Here is the cylinder. Hopefully the picture comes out o.k.

Didn't sound like a double charge. Next two bullets lodge in the cylinder with split brass.

Smith wants me to send it back with the remainder of the loaded bullets.

Edited by AzShooter

The load as stated with that pic just doesn't make sense..... I run 3.4gr of N320 in my 929 with 147gr RN Blue bullet @1.14 with no issues at all.. Possible the cylinder was in it of time??? I'm confused.....

If it's in time enough to hit the primer its in time enough for the bullet to align the cylinder as it jumps to the FC. Squib or Double charge.