Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is idpa really fun?

Loudgp

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been shooting Ipsc and uspsa for almost two yrs.. I keep seeing shows about idpa, is it really fun to shoot? thanks...

Depends on what you think of as fun. You won't know until you try it.

I shoot both USPSA and IDPA and enjoy both. They are different and have different rules. Some shooters like both, some only like one or the other. Then some are so caught up in one or the other game all they can do is bad mouth the "other". I truly don't understand the hate. If you don't like a game don't play it.

I'll have to give it a shot looks to be a bit of a challenge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have an open mind and understand the games are based on different approaces to testing speed and accuracy I think you'll have fun. And, if you don't enjoy it you'll have formed your own opinion - always a good thing.

IDPA is fun when you don't get procedurals.

Seems I worry more about not doing something wrong rather just shooting.

USPSA is wide open and let's me shoot in a way that fits my style.

Tho I shoot both. I much prefer USPSA!!!!!

IDPA was where I started. It was fun F the time, and I'll probably still shoot a match here and there, but USPSA is where the fun is for me.

Just remember, both styles will get ya killed in the streets! :P

I shot my first IDPA match this weekend. It was the only match within a reasonable distance from my house. I normally shoot USPSA and 3gun but there aren't matches the first weekend of the month. I have dogged on IDPA in the past mostly from rules I deemed as silly and comments I have read from others. I thought, what the heck, I will go check this out for myself and if I don't like it, I will still get some trigger time in.

The only pistol I have that would be legal for IDPA is a 1911. I read through the rules the night before and everything seemed simple enough. My only question was when to use sequence versus priority for target arrays. I found out at the match that the COF tells you which one to use so it wasn't a big deal.

I found the match fun and will be back for more. I found the stages small, but much more technical than what I am used to. I would go too fast and drop too many points. (USPSA Limited ha ha) When I slowed down I shot well but it just felt wrong. I could have shot the stages in less than half the time I did if it was USPSA. I enjoy the speed of USPSA, but IDPA makes you think much more which is not a bad thing. Remembering to retain mags, shoot this side one way, shoot the other another way, retain this mag-again, reload behind this, etc. will help to get you thinking quickly in any shooting sport.

I was surprised I never received a procedural or even got a "cover" call. It was pretty easy to shoot within the rules. I learned that choice of cover garment makes a huge difference. I wore a loose shirt that took some effort to get out of the way. When I tried a guys "starched" vest with "keys" in the pocket it was much easier to draw and get to mags and the huge pockets made it easy to stow. (who says there isn't gaming in IDPA) I worked out of my pants pockets, but it was slow compared to a vest. A gamer vest will be my next piece of equipment before my next match.

All in all I had a good time and enjoyed the match. If you realize that it is a different game and can think on your feet you will have fun. If you only like to run and gun, then then you will probably get frustrated and not have much fun.

I'll have to give it a shot looks to be a bit of a challenge

The main challenge is the rules, esp. those re: reloads.

Read them before you get there - and memorize them -

and practice them.

Or, you'll get a bunch of procedurals - wiping out all your

hard earned points.

I tried both, at the same time, about 9 years ago, and

couldn't switch back and forth - but that's just me.

It is a shooting event - can be fun if you can memorize

the different regs.

Good luck with it - let us know how it went. :cheers:

.......IDPA makes you think...............

......and can think on your feet..............

IDPA doesn't make you think. It makes you follow the course designer's idea of how to shoot the stage. If you think too much you get reminded to not think with an FTDR

You're confusing thinking with memorizing and remembering

Edited by elguapo

Been shooting Ipsc and uspsa for almost two yrs.. I keep seeing shows about idpa, is it really fun to shoot? thanks...

No .... those shows are from the same people who created the 'conspiracy' that plastic guns are no longer competitive in Production & therefore we need a weight limit in the new CO division so only their guns can play and they can be winners again ....

next up are new provisional divisons for ESP & SSP cleverly labeled as PSE &PSS divisions where only current card-carrying IDPA members can shoot in them ....

oh, and as a prior NASA astronaut instructor I know the moon landings were faked ..... there, I said it ....................................

Edited by Nimitz

Our club used to have a Wednesday night IDPA match. (Lots of new shooters; come out; shoot 4-5 stages; go home.) The national organization now insists that a shooter MUST join them to shoot more than one match. (Most of the new folks are not interested in going to major IDPA matches.) So...... we now have Action Pistol Night. (Very little BS/FTDR and a lot more shooters!) On the other-hand, USPSA gets $3/shooter whether or not you are a USPSA member. Ranger-6....