Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is idpa really fun?

Loudgp

it's only as fun as you are and the people you shoot with. it's the people that make a majority of the experience.

different people seem to gravitate to the different events, at least in my experience.

there are things i hate about uspsa matches, and there are things i hate about idpa matches. but there are also things i love about both as well.

the only thing i can control is my reaction to something.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Objectively, which one has the most rules/restrictions per round count?

The answer is obvious. You cannot have much fun with that many rules. Regardless how nice/friendly the shooters are, when it comes to competing it will quickly spiral into debates on rules because the smallest variation of COF or some creative move from a single shooter will be examined against vast book of rules to see if a PE or FTDR warranted.

Do you prefer living in an islamic nation or a free western one? I am sure there are plenty of nice and friendly people in any islamic nation.

For me its not even the number of rules. A rule set can be large and yet still be simple and straight forward to understand and enforce. IDPA rule book is only 76 pages and the USPSA rule book is 106 pages.

What has always made IDPA a bit less fun for me is that IDPA has several areas that required the SO to make a subjective judgement call. Did I expose too much of my body around cover is a prime example. You could shoot a stage the same way for several SO's and likely get different calls, especially if you are pushing things to the edge and/or the SO has a good line to make the call. Comparatively USPSA has far fewer rules that required a subjective judgement call by the RO. You where either faulting the line or you weren't when the shot broke. That is a much more black and white call then where you properly behind cover. To me IDPA vs USPSA has always felt like figure skating vs speed skating.

I enjoy both sports but USPSA's rule set is far more polished, well thought out and consistent than I have found with IDPA and thus far more straight forward to interpret and enforce.

Personally, I find it interesting that so many devout USPSA shooters are aggressively opposed to anything IDPA. When there is some recreational activity that I don't participate in because I hate it, I don't expend the energy enough to follow every tidbit about it.

It's not like the IDPA people are trying to run people away from USPSA or anything....

IDPA headquarters has definitely made some mistakes...I just didn't know they had created so many committed enemies.

The answer is obvious. You cannot have much fun with that many rules. Regardless how nice/friendly the shooters are, when it comes to competing it will quickly spiral into debates on rules because the smallest variation of COF or some creative move from a single shooter will be examined against vast book of rules to see if a PE or FTDR warranted.

Do you prefer living in an islamic nation or a free western one? I am sure there are plenty of nice and friendly people in any islamic nation.

You get the same debate in USPSA and IPSC to.

And what I highlighted in red is the most stupid statement I have ever read here!

For me its not even the number of rules. A rule set can be large and yet still be simple and straight forward to understand and enforce. IDPA rule book is only 76 pages and the USPSA rule book is 106 pages.

The answer is obvious. You cannot have much fun with that many rules.

Let's see. Typical USPSA stage is about 30-40 rounds? IDPA 18 rounds max. Which one has more rules per round count again?

You get the same debate in USPSA and IPSC to.

And what I highlighted in red is the most stupid statement I have ever read here!

I agree it's a very good analogy. IMO once a sport has the basic boundaries defined, the less restrictions and rules, the more fun. Ironically, football, golf and tennis have the thickest rule books yet we love them :)

Yes you can have fun. Because you choose not to, doesn't mean you can make a blanket statement stating that it's impossible for everyone. Ridiculous.

I can't even begin to explain how unbelievably stupid the statement in red is. I can't post what I think of that. But i guess idiots sitting behind their computers will always say stupid things.

On average, I agree that USPSA stages have higher round counts than IDPA stages.

Average IDPA round count for a match is 80-100 rounds, while it's 100-200 for USPSA.

But the 32-40 round count per USPSA STAGE seems excessive -- maximum rounds per stage for Level III matches are 32 rounds, and most Level I/II matches stick to that.

Let's see. Typical USPSA stage is about 30-40 rounds? IDPA 18 rounds max. Which one has more rules per round count again?

Yes you can have fun. Because you choose not to, doesn't mean you can make a blanket statement stating that it's impossible for everyone. Ridiculous.

I can't even begin to explain how unbelievably stupid the statement in red is. I can't post what I think of that. But i guess idiots sitting behind their computers will always say stupid things.

Is there a need for name calling, simply because I put in a bad analogy? The statement itself is fact. As people who grow up in free society, I cannot fathom anyone would prefer more rules/restrictions, besides for religious reasons. Same for IDPA and USPSA. If a shooter starts in IDPA without trying USPSA, with a decent local club it is likely the shooter would prefer IDPA. I am an example. However, once you tried both, with friendly and nice people in both clubs, it is obvious which one is more attractive. Of course there are people who have bad joints/physical conditions to perform field courses, such as people with disabilities or other reasons, and they feel more comfortable in IDPA. For a regular shooter, USPS does offer a more free-play environment with less subjective rules.

There is no question IDPA is fun to shoot.

However, OP has shot IPSC/USPSA for 2 years, and without first trying IDPA he wants to know what others think.

Not knowing OP's age, physical condition, ease of access to local matches and other personal attributes, just from a regular shooter's POV the consensus has been that USPSA is more free-style with large round count, while IDPA has more restrictions and rules geared towards more self-defense scenarios with smaller stages. Yes, OP has to try it to get a feeling.

What has always made IDPA a bit less fun for me is that IDPA has several areas that required the SO to make a subjective judgement call.

Yeah, the subjective nature of cover is a pain in the ass, especially now that I'm an SO and I'm the one making calls and getting bitched at for it.

Maybe it would work better if there were a fault line based on the cover line for the first target in an array. I know cover is supposed to change from target to target, but moving your feet when slicing the pie costs a lot of time, so if someone were set up behind cover for the first target in an array, then they would likely stay in cover for the remaining targets.

On the other hand, there are plenty of rules in actual professional sports that are very subjective, like offsides calls in soccer, or all of scoring for boxing.

Edited by FTDMFR

I lost my son to USPSA after he shot IDPA for a couple of years, which is ok with me because he is[was] pretty dang good in shooting it.. A new baby girl and shoulder surgery has put him out for the past 2 years, but he has my CZ Shadow and is getting back into it. I MD'd a club for 7 years and thought i had a good following for the IDPA shooters with some USPSA shooters flowing over into IDPA, but they soon quit because of the rules "THEY" didn't like, which again that's ok. I just cant stand the thought of somebody hating on a sport like IDPA or any shooting sport, if you don't like it keep it to yourself and let the rest of us drown in laughter and good times..

it's only as fun as you are and the people you shoot with. it's the people that make a majority of the experience.

different people seem to gravitate to the different events, at least in my experience.

there are things i hate about uspsa matches, and there are things i hate about idpa matches. but there are also things i love about both as well.

the only thing i can control is my reaction to something.

Well said Rowdy!

That's the kind of arguments I heard at 3AM in a freshman dorm! The most fun thing about IDPA is you never hear anything about USPSA. Go over on Doodie and see what USPSA shooters are saying about...USPSA!

That's the kind of arguments I heard at 3AM in a freshman dorm! The most fun thing about IDPA is you never hear anything about USPSA. Go over on Doodie and see what USPSA shooters are saying about...USPSA!

Not true... I do hear IDPA crowds mentioning USPSA

Every match I went, people ask me if I shoot USPSA a lot... :goof:

The fact is I have never "officially shot" an USPSA match

Maybe I have that kind of college kid's aurora screaming I am an USPSA snob :devil:

IDPA Mission Statement: IDPA is the use of practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated “real world” self-defense scenarios using practical handguns and holsters that are suitable for self-defense use.

IDPA has lost it's way.....9mm powder puff loads rule the game now,

IDPA Mission Statement: IDPA is the use of practical equipment including full charge service ammunition to solve simulated real world self-defense scenarios using practical handguns and holsters that are suitable for self-defense use.

IDPA has lost it's way.....9mm powder puff loads rule the game now,

Ya cant say full power factory loads and have a 125PF minimum limit... Contradicting rule

105PF for Revolver-SSR...

As I'm sure you're aware, that was done because the vast majority of .38 Special ammo available commercially would/will not make 125pf. IDPA did not want to make the division "for reloaders only".

As I'm sure you're aware, that was done because the vast majority of .38 Special ammo available commercially would/will not make 125pf. IDPA did not want to make the division "for reloaders only".

I don't know what 38 special factor ammo is like, but the standard full power 9mm NATO is a 124 gr bullets at 1200fps out of 5" barrel, power factor is 148.

But any 38 Special ammunition you might realistically carry for self defense would easily make 125 from a 4-inch revolver especial the heavier stuff.

The BUG division requires a 95PF and there are very few commercial 380 ACP ammo (and non of the cost effective FMJ) that will make a 95 PF from a BUG legal 380 ACP. They don't seem afraid to make that cartridge a reloader only cartridge.

But any 38 Special ammunition you might realistically carry for self defense would easily make 125 from a 4-inch revolver especial the heavier stuff.

The BUG division requires a 95PF and there are very few commercial 380 ACP ammo (and non of the cost effective FMJ) that will make a 95 PF from a BUG legal 380 ACP. They don't seem afraid to make that cartridge a reloader only cartridge.

Yep, you can probably find some +Ps for the .38, but that's not realistic for many people.

Good point about BUG, although I doubt many people will be shooting a .380 anyway. 9mm (or .38 Special) is much easier to find, and a .380 at 20+ yards is pretty iffy. I've sure never seen one accurate at that distance.