Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is idpa really fun?

Loudgp

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas, Wilson was on the 1st World Team. Spring loaded, ie, mylar lined vests, they bend out of the way. But the point would be who wears a vest for every day carry? Vogels gun is not stock, and he is not shooting full house ammo. He has all the allowable mods and his ammo is just above the floor. Have you ever seen one shooter run a OEM G31 (.357SIG) with full house ammo from an IWB holster under a regular shirt? I'll bet not, because it's damn difficult to manage compared to a game gun. That is where the rules separate from reality, even though it's supposed to be practical/tactical, what IDPA has become today, not when it first started.

I saw a guy shoot his Sig P229 in .357 SIG with his duty ammo. He was a Federal Air Marshal. Awesome shooter and a nice guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am changing my answer to "it's more fun than stall shooting but maybe not as much fun if other sports are available to you". IDPA's participation is concentrated heavily around Sharpshooter/ Marksman. Once you develop beyond that the competition starts to really thin out.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

I was having a conversation at our last USPSA match and the general consensus was that many shooters treat IDPA like their training wheels. You need a basic holster and three magazines to play the game, nothing fancy. They tell you exactly how to shoot the stage and that's also the only way you can shoot it without penalties, which helps new shooters get acclimated. We have some very skilled shooters who still participate every month but as you mentioned a lot gravitate towards other disciplines at some point.

Looking at the positive aspects of IDPA, one can practice with guns that have no place in other disciplines. It's the only match in our area that specifically offers a snub nose revolver or compact semi-auto category. In my opinion that's the best thing going for them right now and I'll be shooting mostly BUG revolver moving forward.

That's pretty much how I looked at IDPA as well.

Now I'm taking a Ben Stoeger class, and am finding this much more fun TO ME than all the restrictions in IDPA.

I am not hating on IDPA, but for me, it served its main purpose of letting me wade in instead of jumping into the deep end.

Not sure if I'll renew my IDPA membership next year.... especially if they go to 1 sec/point down.

Personally I think pretty much all trigger time is fun. That being said I do much prefer USPSA. IDPA for me is time on my defense guns. Gives me the confidence that they will run and me the confidence in shooting them. There is a big difference going from a race gun to a stock glock thats in the nightstand. I like to shoot it and IDPA is much better than standing in front of a paper target at an indoor range.

There is a big difference going from a race gun to a stock glock thats in the nightstand. I like to shoot it and IDPA is much better than standing in front of a paper target at an indoor range.

This. I only shoot IDPA when there's not a USPSA match available, but this is exactly my mentality for why.

Maybe one day I'll shoot the IDPA classifier.

There is a big difference going from a race gun to a stock glock thats in the nightstand. I like to shoot it and IDPA is much better than standing in front of a paper target at an indoor range.

This. I only shoot IDPA when there's not a USPSA match available, but this is exactly my mentality for why.

The classifier is so dull. Unless you want to shoot a sanctioned match, I'd pass on it.

I sure am glad we have all these USPSA people to tell us how badly IDPA sucks. I was getting confused. Glad I only thought I was having fun. Don't worry, I understand now.

Edited by robport

The classifier is so dull. Unless you want to shoot a sanctioned match, I'd pass on it.

I'd like to see how I measure up - that's all. Different standards.

I sure am glad we have all these USPSA people to tell us how badly IDPA sucks. I was getting confused. Glad I only thought I was having fun. Don't worry, I understand now.

I have plenty of fun at IDPA, I shot two matches with a 400 PF snubnose this year.

And if you're beating a good majority of the crowd, they'd probably be interested in your classification as well. ;)

And if you're beating a good majority of the crowd, they'd probably be interested in your classification as well. ;)
As much as I'd love to say "yeah, you know me!" The reality is there's no chance of that yet. :) Edited by mreed911

Except for the fact that if you're an IDPA member, you're supposed to be properly Classified. Sanctioned match participation is not the main reason to shoot the Classifier.

Except for the fact that if you're an IDPA member, you're supposed to be properly Classified. Sanctioned match participation is not the main reason to shoot the Classifier.

IDPA certainly doesn't make this as easy as USPSA. If I can't make a specific date for a classifier match I can't get classified "in pieces" like I can on the USPSA side. I haven't had one line up yet...

IDPA certainly doesn't make this as easy as USPSA. If I can't make a specific date for a classifier match I can't get classified "in pieces" like I can on the USPSA side. I haven't had one line up yet...

All IDPA clubs are required to run the classifier at least once per year. Many will do individuals if you ask. If you're just curious and have range access, you can run yourself in a classifier just to see where you fall.

Match results are a fairly reliable indicator of how you will fare in the classifier.

I don't think that anybody is trying to tell you it's not fun, it certainly is. Many are echoing the "if you want to compete then you end up at USPSA". You get to the point you are consistently at the top end of your club match, get classified as EX and go to a sanctioned match and there are like maybe 15-20% (across all divisions, so divide that by 3.5 and that's who you get to shoot against) of the match you get to compete with. You switch over to USPSA and you are a low B class or a high C, plenty of folks to chase.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

Edited by ArrDave

Each has their pluses and minuses. You get what you put into each sport. I like both but i have been doing more USPSA lately because of my 14 year old son. I dont want him to worry about too many rules other than being safe and improving his handling skills. Someone yelling cover or worring about where he can and cannot move while reloading and using cover garment would be too much information overload learning. Now for an adult, I believe IDPA is a great place to start shooting, that is how i started.

Again each are a Game have their rules and key is to master them.

BGC

All IDPA clubs are required to run the classifier at least once per year. Many will do individuals if you ask. If you're just curious and have range access, you can run yourself in a classifier just to see where you fall.

Match results are a fairly reliable indicator of how you will fare in the classifier.

Bingo. Depending on the club, someone could run you through it immediately after a match.

I find all the IDPA has too many rules posts fairly amusing. Check out the USPSA rules forum, there's a 5 page minimum to discuss every nuance of every rule.

i don't think idpa has too many rules, just too many anti-competitive and subjective rules.

We do IDPA Classifiers quarterly. I rather enjoy them and hate to miss one.

Its an excellent reality check, the only thing I hate is not being able to use my USPSA Production holster rig.

Edited by Beastly

The bottom line for me is usually WHO I am shooting WITH.

This... Plus there are a lot more IDPA matches especially in the evening, as compared to USPSA.

Same here. I can't justify the expense of a dedicated USPSA gun to shoot maybe one weekend per month.

IDPA has a lot of stupid-ass rules (see my post about revolvers.)

I hate being told exactly how to shoot stages. I think once you hit expert or shot x-number of matches without a DQ, you should be allowed to shoot the stage as you want. If there's enough people in a match fitting that criteria, put em all on one squad.