Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 mile one way one day match. Drive there same day

or stay overnight. if you weer to go to a match that requires drive of 200 miles, would you stay overnight or drive the same day. Some of my freinds always are willing to pay for a room and stay overnight. I myself don't see the need of the expense seeing it only a 3 hr drive. thier reasoning is that staying overnight allows you to wake up refreshed ready to shoot.

So what do you think?

Depends: Club match or major? What kind of rest can you get leading up to match day/to recover afterwards? How stressful is the drive? On the East Coast, there's plenty of easy 200 mile drives, and some that are totally stressful......

All of those factors I'd consider....

Some years back, I drove ~ 100 miles to the PSA Shootout on a Saturday morning, met up with friends and shot the match, then drove to the NY State rifle match, spending the night in the hotel in between. I want to say that the mileage between the two was around 200, but don't remember for certain. After shooting the rifle match on Sunday, it was a three hour or so drive home -- that was all pretty doable.....

Now -- I'm tired just considering that.....

I prefer the drive. I've got Alabama heart odd Dixie next week. Plan on leaving the house at 430 to get to the match by 8. 3 hours of driving gives me time to relax and get in my Zen state.

I would drive. But I pretty regularly leave work Saturday night drive 3 hours South. Sleep at a friends house for a few hours drive another hour south to get to a Match just to drive home that night

As Nik said, depends on the circumstances - sounds to me like

you might live in the wide open states (if you can drive 200 miles

in 3 hours).

I used to shoot in Pennsylvania, and it took almost 3 hours to

drive 100 miles - when I was in my early 60's I'd drive it to the

"local" match and back the same day.

Then, one day when I got closer to 70 years old, I had to stop

and take a nap before I drove home that day.

Most of us fail to recognize that driving 400 miles costs approx

$200 - that's pretty steep entry fee for a local match. The cost

of a $35 hotel seems pretty small compared to $200 to drive.

But it's very personal - up to you. :cheers:

What is the format? We regularly drive to a sectional about 200 miles away, and shoot the Saturday afternoon (1-6pm) time slot, then drive back after. It's a long day, but still gives me family time that weekend.

A few times we have gotten a hotel on the way back and shot a local match close to home, and that made it 16 stages over 2 days!

$200 -

:o

What are you driving? A motorhome towing a bass boat? 400 miles costs me about $25-30 in gas, and possible half that much again in amortization of long term maintenance and stuff, and that's if I don't carpool.

FWIW, for 3 hrs, I'd probably get up early and do it in one day, but it depends. If a few other guys were going to camp out at the range, it might be worth it to camp (assuming weather is nice), and be able to look over the stages and get a little more sleep. Also depends on whether they are starting shooting at 8 am, or at 10.

Edited by motosapiens

are there going to be naked 25 yr old coeds shooting this match? That's about the only way I'm ever driving 400 miles for a one day match ... I'm too old, too lazy and I'm lucky enough that there are too many matches every weekend of every month all year long within 70 miles to consider it ..I'd just stay home and train at my home range instead or go to my garage and dry fire ... :) or sit on my couch and watch The Walking Dead reruns

Edited by Nimitz

I drive that once a month on the fourth sat.for a match in spartainburg sc.

The reason I do it is it a great dam match,a lot of work goes into it,always around 150 shots,steel and swingers drop turners. But for the OP,we drive there and back in one day..

$200 -

What are you driving? A motorhome towing a bass boat? 400 miles costs me about $25-30 in gas, and possible half that much again in amortization of long term maintenance and stuff, and that's if I don't carpool.

FWIW, for 3 hrs, I'd probably get up early and do it in one day, but it depends. If a few other guys were going to camp out at the range, it might be worth it to camp (assuming weather is nice), and be able to look over the stages and get a little more sleep. Also depends on whether they are starting shooting at 8 am, or at 10.

It's not just gas. You burn, rubber, brake linings, other fluids, a portion of an oil change interval, insurance, depreciation, etc.......

Yep -- you're right, you only see the bill for the gas that day, but you're accruing $ in future maintenance categories....

$200 -

What are you driving? A motorhome towing a bass boat?

It's not just gas. You burn, rubber, brake linings, other fluids, a portion of an oil change interval, insurance, depreciation, etc.......

Yep -- you're right, you only see the bill for the gas that day, but you're accruing $ in future maintenance categories....

If you drive 75 miles each way to a match, you're spending MORE for AUTO/TRAVEL

than you are for ammo/match fees (unless it's a big match or 3-gun match).

• 2 weeks later...

My limit is around 140 miles each way for a match that is high quality, meaning movers, partials, 8 stages or more. Otherwise time is better spent practicing at a closer location.

You an easterner?

Spaces are a little bigger in the west, fortunately the speed limits are higher too.

My drives are between 100 miles and 200 miles one way. I normally round trip it. If there is another match the next day I will spend the night. I do travel further for 3 gun matches than pistol matches.

man, i'm impressed ...I can't imagine putting in the miles you guys do for just monthly loal matches. For a major it's a different story, but even with that I'd be staying local for that disatnce. I'm driving back & forth every day for 3 days this weekend for the US Steel Nationals but that is only 85 miles one way which is just about my limit ....