Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 mile one way one day match. Drive there same day

Drive 150 to 200 miles quite often. If the start time is 8 AM I would need a reason to be in the area the day prior so I can write off the room. If it is 10 AM then I will drive out that day and grab a snack on the way down. I have driven up to 400 miles one way to shoot a sectional or area match. For that I will spend the night.

In the cooler months, i drive 3 hrs to Fresno for a match. Usually spend the nite before though and drive home after the match.

The Reno folks regularly drive down here to the Bay Area and back the same day twice a month. Around 3 hrs each way.

Al

I drive 300 miles from San Clemente to Morro Bay every year for the southwest regional revolver championship. Leave about 2:30 am. My wife's cooper gets almost 40 mpg. I like the drive. Family of five and one income. Busy family schedule and gotta stretch a dollar. Nap before the drive home. Then coffee/energy drinks. Probably not the ideal for shooting performance, but worth it for a great match.

I shoot a regular monthly match that is a 2 hour one-way drive. They start at 1:30 and finish between 4:30 and 5:00 so it is not a rushed drive to get there. My local club has recently move to new range facilities and that is a 1 hour one-way drive. They start at 9:00 a.m. with set up before so I will be leaving early for this match. I guess your travel plans are dictated by how bad you want to shoot and if you enjoy the group that you are shooting with. If I am shooting major matches then I am staying in a hotel. I need the rest and enjoy the fellowship with other shooters.