Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Natural Talent

ES13Raven

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you could make A class and maybe even M if really talented and capable of watching others and implementing in a match.

The real question is how long it would take you. You can make A or M in a year with practice. I don't see that happening by talent alone in a less then 3-4 years.

what do you mean by 'shooting matches'? do you mean shooting 1 match every month? or do you mean shooting a uspsa match every saturday with top shooters, doing the match again with a 2nd gun, and shooting steel challenge every tuesday and thursday?

The real question is 'who cares?'

what do you mean by 'shooting matches'? do you mean shooting 1 match every month? or do you mean shooting a uspsa match every saturday with top shooters, doing the match again with a 2nd gun, and shooting steel challenge every tuesday and thursday?

I was talking about 1 match per week max.

And if you don't care, why are you posting in this thread?

Because he is motosapiens? So far I have made B in Open and Production. I rarely practice and dry fire. I shoot a match almost every weekend for 8 months out of the year. I am really struggling to make A in Open. Those Open classifiers are a bitch. I often joke the fastest way for me to make A in Open is to make M in Production! :goof:

My thought would also be "B" class for the typical shooter. This is with only shooting a match a week and no live fire or dry fire practice between.

The next question would be based on a shooter's natural talent how many classes could the average shooter progress with a regimented dry fire (4x week) and live fire (1x week) plus weekly matches. From what I have seen historically, shooter's that initially classify as "D" usually top out at "B" while shooters whose initial classification was "B" or higher usually seem to make "M" fairly quickly. This is an improvement of two classes from initial classification for the typical shooter.

ask any expert in the training field and they will tell you that doing something only once a week is not even enough to maintain whatever skill level you have, never mind get better at that activity. so shooting 150 rds once a week at a match would basically be irrevelant. you could probably get lucky on a few classifiers and make C class but you'll never really get any better ...

thanks for the clarification.

I *do* actually care, just not very much.

GM.

If you truly have 'natural talent' no practice is required.....or maybe a definition of natural talent is required.

I meant your average shooter, average natural talent, not practicing and only shooting matches once a week max.

First, the "average" shooter does not shoot USPSA. Of those who do, no practice, if intelligent and athletic, yeah, probably B. But even shooting matches, you learn, so it is askew.

The average shooter shows up at a USPSA match, lucky to get 40%.

Let's look at it by the official numbers:

2014 active members = 23,747

GM = 1.5%

M = 5.8%

A = 10.6%

B = 24.8%
C = 40.9%

D = 16.5%

Most shooters = C + B = 65.7% of the classified membership.

65.7% = 15,601 of which 62.3% are C shooters and 37.7% are B shooters.

Now take out those that do drills, practice and dry fire - and only take shooters that shoot matches once a week max.

What is the best they are going to rank?

My guess would be C.

Also, take a look at the classifier history for some of the folks who don't practice regularly. They're pretty up and down. Yes, they have the classification, but there's also inconsistency. Not saying that's true for everybody (we don't actually have any real data here, just several anecdotes), but it's a thought.

This question is pretty hard to answer because of the definitions, which we haven't nailed down, and the lack of real data. Not sure if the definitions can be nailed down, actually. "Natural talent", "don't practice", "just do matches" (and what do they do at the matches? There's a lot to be learned if you do a lot of observing and asking questions), etc.

I would guess that some people can come into a sport with varying degrees of "natural" ability and quickly learn the basics, get to whatever level their ability brings them to, and then level off (at D, or C, maybe a few at B or A...). No telling what they could do with real practice, coaching, etc. because they don't practice, for whatever reason.

I'm one of the ones who has to work at it, but then Ben Stoeger says the same thing and tells us how he put in a ton of work (and still does). However, I doubt that my physiology will ever lead me to GM, even with tons of work ... but who knows? I'm definitely having a lot of fun.

Edited by teros135

What is the highest classification do you think most shooters can attain by natural talent and shooting matches alone? No practice, drills or dry fire.

This is weird question. Sounds like something I might hear at the Double X bar in Mesa. Que pasa?