Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's Official: Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) Division

bigdawgbeav

My 3" M13 Smith went from being a decent SSR pick to a BUG? My pockets didn't get any bigger...

Two 442/642 will fit in the BUG box and still be under the 38oz BUG-Revolver weight limit. I want to be allowed to duel wield!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 3" M13 Smith went from being a decent SSR pick to a BUG? My pockets didn't get any bigger...

Two 442/642 will fit in the BUG box and still be under the 38oz BUG-Revolver weight limit. I want to be allowed to duel wield!

This + 1000!

You gotta shoot both guns at the same target at the same time. Split times of Zero. ;) Shoot 5 targets before you reload. On a 12 round stage we'll let you only have to reload one of the revolvers to finish the course. LOL Or you could throw both revolvers at the last target like they used to do in the Western Movies.

I'll probably shoot my cz p07,

That might be too wide. :(

Definitely too wide. P07 is 37mm, box will only allow 34.9mm. I think they should have made the box a bit slimmer. Otherwise G19 will rule it.

What is the widest spot? 2mm isn't a heck of a lot to lose.

Reading across my usual gunboards, it looks like CCP is going to be the most gamed and innovated area since the development of the one pound Glock trigger job.

I agree,,,been shooting IDPA about 8-9 years now,,,,,,mostly CDP and ESP,,,,,,,actuallly have seen you at some matches Jim!!! Was at a gunshow yesterday with several shooting buddies and that was the main topic--------which gun to play with in CCP!!!

Reading across my usual gunboards, it looks like CCP is going to be the most gamed and innovated area since the development of the one pound Glock trigger job.

I agree,,,been shooting IDPA about 8-9 years now,,,,,,mostly CDP and ESP,,,,,,,actuallly have seen you at some matches Jim!!! Was at a gunshow yesterday with several shooting buddies and that was the main topic--------which gun to play with in CCP!!!

New discussion posted here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=209471

The BUG gun that I've been using the last fifteen years - 3.5", 6+1, steel-framed .45 - is not legal for either BUG or CCP. It's too heavy and too wide for BUG, and too wide for CCP, unless I can get a full +1/6" on box depth.

I measured four of my 1911s across the ambi safeties, and only the narrowest one (Wilson narrow/tactical) is at the legal width. If I can add 1/16", then a Cylinder & Slide tactical is legal.

Kimber, Springfield, or anything resembling the Ed Brown is going to be too wide unless one or both paddles are trimmed.

Great I cannot shoot my carry gun. A dan wesson guardian in 9mm because the barrel is too long.

I concur with most of the others this will get gamed. Any new class would have people talking about which new gun to get to shoot the class let's not think it's because this class was well thought out.

If t ou we ant to shoot your carry gun do it. I shoot weekly matches and I shoot my carry rigs often. This is especially true in the off season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Plan on using my VP9 in CCP and can use in SSP also.CCP load up 8 rounds SSP load up 10 rounds but for CCP in order to meet width restrictions need to have Medium side grips on because even using one large puts it over the 1.375 width.With the Mediums it is 1.350 at least on my VP9.

Hmm, last night's match had the three CCP shooters beating 25 of the 32 shooters in SSP and 4 of the 5 CDP guys!

Very cool.

Of course those guys were shooting those G19s in SSP two weeks ago, so it's not surprising.

So far only Glocks have been shooting in CCP in our neck of the woods.

AD

• 2 weeks later...

It can't be considered 'gaming' if all of your handguns already qualify right? I own three pistols and all would 'fit' with some minor changes.

1. I just finished fixing up a used 9mm Kimber Tactical Pro II to practice with and shoot in ESP and USPSA Single Stack.. 4" barrel, Commander length alloy frame with mag well. I'd have to trade out the ambi safety but that's easy enough
  2. I bought the Kimber because it is very much like my everyday carry which is a Lightweight Wilson Compact CQB in 9mm. I could use this but I would have to switch out the ambi safety and remove the Crimson Trace Laser Grips
  3. When I'm out hunting or Fishing I carry a Glock 23 with a Lane Owens grip reduction and Wolf 9mm conversion. I could shoot the Glock but would have to remove the Crimson trace grips from it to make the width.

Near as I can tell all three would work but it would be easier to switch out the ambi safety on the Kimber because I'd have to remove the Crimson trace laser grips from the Wilson Compact and the Glock 19 every time I shot a match to make the width requirements.

Edited by Rideandshoot

• 1 month later...

I'll have to admit, like some here I thought the bottom of the box was going to be the part that would restrict the height of the gun. What makes a G19 more concealable than a G17, for me, is the grip length. So now the division is going to be full size frames with short barrels? Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'll shoot my carry G19 anyway.

I'll have to admit, like some here I thought the bottom of the box was going to be the part that would restrict the height of the gun. What makes a G19 more concealable than a G17, for me, is the grip length. So now the division is going to be full size frames with short barrels? Doesn't make much sense to me, but I'll shoot my carry G19 anyway.

From what I can tell it's both. For CCP the 6" dimension of the box is 5.75 instead of 6.0. And, the thickness is restricted to 1 3/8s instead of 1 /5/8s. I have found that my Kimber Tactical Pro with the mag well fits with the barrel tilted down after I filed down the front of the base pads on the magazines and trim the left safety lever. I am planning on shooting the Kimber in CCP at the Arizona State Championship this Saturday but I'm bringing my Wilson Compact just in case I'm wrong....

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can tell it's both. For CCP the 6" dimension of the box is 5.75 instead of 6.0. And, the thickness is restricted to 1 3/8s instead of 1 /5/8s. I have found that my Kimber Tactical Pro with the mag well fits with the barrel tilted down after I filed down the front of the base pads on the magazines and trim the left safety lever. I am planning on shooting the Kimber in CCP at the Arizona State Championship this Saturday but I'm bringing my Wilson Compact just in case I'm wrong....

Where are you seeing this?

8.2.4.1.5 The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 3 /8” ( 222.3 mm x 152.4 mm x 34.9 mm.)

If Glock would come out with a 9mm Single stack striker fired then maybe a new division should be put developed for those types of guns. You want to shoot a Shield then you just have to take the hit and only shoot 8 rounds. Sorry its just impossible to make everyone happy.

Thousands of monkeys and type-writers... :cheers:

• 2 months later...

I shot my Sphinx Compact in SSP Saturday, I just saw this post...

Looks to be CCP legal 3.7" barrel, and weighs 28.18 (off website, not sure if mag is included)

1.37" thick? I will check measurements to see what the box depth is

looks like it just might fit?

Edited by scubadds

For all of you that would have preferred carry optics, explain to me how that works. (Serious question!). Do you carry with the dot on all the time? If so, how often do you replace the battery? Or, do you have some kind of active on / off switch, like you see on Crimson Trace laser grips?

Some are light and/or movement sensitive. They activate when you draw.

Others have a ridiculously long battery life. You leave it on, morning, noon and night. Then keep a strict regiment on when you change the battery depending on your expected life span.

Then there are the fiber optic / tritium combo. They require no batteries. The fiber optic covers you during daylight hours and the tritium during the low/no light hours.

Edited by v1911

Some are light and/or movement sensitive. They activate when you draw.

Others have a ridiculously long battery life. You leave it on, morning, noon and night. Then keep a strict regiment on when you change the battery depending on your expected life span.

Then there are the fiber optic / tritium combo. They require no batteries. The fiber optic covers you during daylight hours and the tritium during the low/no light hours.

Thanks. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned a HK P7M8 for twenty years. i started shooting IDPA with it in 1999 but felt at a disadvantage due to 8 round mags. I think it will be a great gun for CCP since there is an 8 round limit. It is reliable, accurate, has a decent trigger from the factory and appears to meet the size requirements.

Unfortunately it will not make weight....

James