Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's Official: Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) Division

bigdawgbeav

Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) division. The full details of that division will be coming out shortly but competitors and MD’s can start making plans now. The division is based on ESP but the guns must fit an IDPA box with a ¼ inch plywood spacer inserted in the bottom of the box to reduce the box size. Barrel length may be no more than 4.1 inches and the magazine limit will be 8 plus 1 to help level the playing field. This division will use the 125 power factor as well.

So 5.75 inches high, a 4.1 inch barrel and 125PF...

With that in mind... what is going to be the gun that rules the division? Looking for ideas!

Edit: fixed title

Edited by bigdawgbeav

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the bottom of the box would mean it reduces the width as opposed to heights or length.

Kind of like single vs double stack seems preferred carry. option.

Don't ask me as I rock a Glock 29 OWB.. I already have too much inside my belt.

The 125 PF requirement for the new CCP Division would seem to mean that the ammo has to clock 125 PF from the longest barrel allowed in the CCP Division - 4.1. inch. Ya might want to bump your reload powder charge a touch.

8+1 capacity? I'm thinking that a lot of guns can play. I think I'll start with my M&P 9c, and see how things go.

MP9 Compact with APEX competition trigger (2.5lbs)

Seriously, if there is no limits on the trigger, this division is simply a "short barrel ESP" division. However, if there is indeed a limit on trigger, I have no idea how it can be enforced.

bleh to the division indeed being just a smaller esp gun and with less rounds. the cdp guys now might have more people to discuss reload/stage strategy with now....

and yeah, they said "technical" writers helped them. already someone brings up, "what do you mean bottom of the box?"

Edited by rowdyb

Awww man, I was hopeful for LOP over CCP... :( All these awesome co-witness guns are popping up like the new Glocks, the FN's, and the M&P Cores, and it would have been so fun... Now, we'll be limiting out 15 round capacity Glock 19's that we already do to 10 rounds in SSP to 8 rounds in CCP... yay, that just sounds so... whats the opposite of fun? Yea... Talk about major disappointment. Oh well, I guess 5 division master just got easier...

I'm going to use my FM Detective (Hi Power compact). 5.01" tall and 3.7" barrel. I wish they would be sensible and allow Compact Carry Optics Division. Seems like a ton of people around here are using G19s with RDS.

In the email states, "the membership clearly told us they wanted a compact carry division". I can believe that part but who wanted a short barreled ESP? Short barrel SSP with a 4lb min trigger pull and you've got a much more realistic carry division. Then you could kick the G26 and Shield type guns out of BUG competion.

I'm predicting compact CZ's will rule the division. CCP will be as much about "carry" guns as SSP is about "stock" pistols. What a joke.

Edit: Damn them, now I want a 9mm sight tracker commander. The barrel and maybe the slide will need to be cut back .15". I will call her the Custom Commander Carry Pistol or CCCP. ;)

Edited by blind bat

already someone brings up, "what do you mean bottom of the box?"

I had the same thought, "what do you mean the bottom of the box". I was thinking it would be an insert, basically taking up a 1/4" on each side of the box for length, in essence shortening the length by 1/2". Do the same for height, shorten it by 1/2". And for the thickness reducing it by 1/4", a single sheet of 1/4" plywood.

Kind of like sticking a 1/4" thick walled shadow box inside the official box.... But I'm not in the rules writing business and I haven't seen them like many other haven't.

Great, we get another division for guns that could already be used in the existing divisions. Wedge this in between bug and current ESP/SSP guns....stupid!!!

IDPA had an opportunity to include red dot carry optics which would have brought interest from current USPSA shooters and helped older shooters with their visual issues. So what we got was a lot of over the hill shooters who do not understand optics complaining about something new. Instead we got a division that is completely unnecessary to the sport because these guns were already legal.

IDPA blew a chance to get into the future of sighting systems and chose instead to further breakup the competition divisions into minute sections.

I've had it with IDPA. There are things I don't like about USPSA, but it seems my only option for the future. Good bye IDPA! I don't think iDPA has a bright future or a very long one.

Edited by Brooke

These changing rules make me reconsider keeping my membership, not that it's a lot of money, but every time some new thing comes out, I find myself less interested in participating. Maybe this year (or maybe not, I'm so wishy washy :goof: )

Depends on what the official determination of "bottom" is. The Sig P320 Carry is 1.40 wide.

I bought a XD Mod 2 3" 9mm and. HK VP9 at the gun show on Sunday. Monday I get new rules. I was surprised to learn that the new rules seem to favor the VP9 at 4.09 barrel length and 1.32 width. Maybe that will be the killer CCP gun?