Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

It's Official: Compact Carry Pistol (CCP) Division

bigdawgbeav

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vote is they mean to restrict the width of the gun. Maybe they don't like ambi-safeties.

My logic is flawed because I assume that if they meant to reduce the dimension from top of the rear sight to the bottom of magazine that should be something like 1/2".

My vote is they mean to restrict the width of the gun. Maybe they don't like ambi-safeties.

My logic is flawed because I assume that if they meant to reduce the dimension from top of the rear sight to the bottom of magazine that should be something like 1/2".

That was my thinking as well. If they were to reduce the height dimension one would think they would do so by more than 1/4" 1/2-1 in seems resonable if that was the intent. Either way I think the size reduction for width is stupid. Only logical reason I can think of is they want to prevent "gamers" from using the CZ 75 and it's variants.

That was my thinking as well. If they were to reduce the height dimension one would think they would do so by more than 1/4" 1/2-1 in seems resonable if that was the intent. Either way I think the size reduction for width is stupid. Only logical reason I can think of is they want to prevent "gamers" from using the CZ 75 and it's variants.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to allow a gamer race gun like the cz p01 (one of my two carry guns). although it seems like if a crappy plastic glock would fit in a narrower box, so would a p01.

Actually it looks like a p01 is about 1.31" thick at the slide release (thickest point). if you subtract .25" from 1.625, it looks like a p01 should fit in the narrower box with room to spare.

But then I have to wonder, just which gun were they trying to keep out?

A 4" 1911 is going to be fine though. :)

I think this new division is just a scam to sell more Wilson Combats in this variety while the thickness rule makes virtually every other all metal gun illegal.

I seriously doubt that. No doubt that WC makes some fine pistolas, but a vast majority of IDPA shooters aren't willing/able to buy them.

I haven't taken the time to research it, but I'm sure there are a number of metal framed guns that would fit the bill for CCP. Hell, I bet I can still get a 2011 in that box. I'd take that over anything else.

And so it is the width that's affected:

From the rules released today: The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8¾” x 6” x 1 3/8”
The standard dimensions are 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 5/8”

The rules have been released:

8.2.4 Compact Carry Pistol Division (CCP)

8.2.4.1 Handguns permitted for use in CCP must:

8.2.4.1.1 Be semi-automatic.

8.2.4.1.2 Use 9 mm (9x19) or larger cartridges.

8.2.4.1.3 Barrel length of 4.10” (104.1 mm) or less.

8.2.4.1.4 The unloaded firearm with the heaviest magazine must weigh 37.00 oz. (1048.9 grams) or less.

8.2.4.1.5 The firearm with the largest magazine inserted must fit in the IDPA gun test box measuring 8 ¾” x 6” x 1 3 /8” ( 222.3 mm x 152.4 mm x 34.9 mm.)

8.2.4.1.6 Start Condition:

8.2.4.1.6.1 Single action only firearms will start cocked and locked. (hammer cocked, safety engaged).

8.2.4.1.6.2 Selective DA/SA firearms will start cocked and locked or de-cocked. This is at the shooter’s discretion.

8.2.4.1.6.3 Double action, double action only, or striker fired firearms with a de-cocking lever or button will be de-cocked using the lever or button.

8.2.4.1.6.4 Double action, double action only, or striker-fired firearms may have a manual safety engaged at the shooter’s discretion.

8.2.4.2 CCP Permitted Features and Modifications (Inclusive list): CCP firearms must comply with all Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) features and modifications, and equipment restrictions, with the exception that there is no dust cover length limitations. Rule 8.2.2.3.1 does not apply (emphasis added)