Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Armalite 3 Man 3 Gun Championship (formerly Colt Match)

Thanks to Dean and the staff that made this 3 man 3 gun match possible. It was a great match with great stages and competition. Also thanks to the sponsors for their support of the match and the sport. I'm already looking forward to next year.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic match by Dean and his entire crew and special thanks to all the sponsors for their contributions. Torrential early AM downpour made for a wet start, and the heat and humidity was oppressive, but everyone had a great time.

Here's a link to some video of squad 1 this weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQDRG1ICrc8&list=PLLPCEpy1jULgKVxCRHPe31dvEYGugyDhw

Stage 1: Rolling Thunder/Raining Lead

Stage 2: Tag Team Alley Scramble

Stage 3: Multi-gun Volley

Stage 4: 2-gun Tag Team Relay on 2 Bays

Stage 5: Paper, Steel, Gong Relay

Stage 6: 3-Gun Relay

Stage 7: 2-Position Relay @ 200 yards

Stage 8: Tag Team Steel - Can you count to 8?

Sorry squadmates, no video for stages 4 and 7. I needed to rest, hydrate and eat. Only got 2 teams recorded on stage 8 before tapping out from exhaustion. It was a long day. Besides, if you're thinking about shooting the match next year, you can get a good idea of what to expect with what's already floating around on youtube.

Regarding round count, depending on the stage and how your team decides to shoot it, not everyone is going to get an equal amount of trigger time behind each gun. One team member may use more birdshot and another may blow through their entire supply of pistol ammo. The stages are also designed to allow two shooters to continue in the event one team member cannot continue. This explains why a specific round count was difficult to provide. Having extra is always a good idea.

The Yackleys had a great time shooting this match. The stages were fun and challenging. The 90+ round shotgun stage was the best! Loved the stages with no resetting...it really helped the match go quickly. Thanks to all the sponsors and especially Armalite for supporting a great match. Great to see 2 juniors on the winning team. Awesome match! Thanks Dean!

What a great trip! What a great match! What a great squad...........well everyone there actually.

Special thanks to Dean and the RO crew for such a well run match.

I was wondering if there is a full list of the match sponsors posted or if that can be done?

Oh and a HUGE thank you to Bryan 45 for saving the Canadian Team an extrea 5 hour drive around the lake to return our gear. See you at Rockcastle!

This match was even better than last year. My favorite stage Was the 90 plate/clay SG free for all.

Thank to Dean and all the folks that make this match happen. The ROs were all terrific. Thanks to Armalite and the other sponsors for supporting something a little different.

It's important to note that stage reset for this match was very quick by using targets that didn't actually have to be picked up off the ground or pasted. Many just flipped back to an upright position, or were hanging static targets. Only a few targets on a few stages actually had to be pasted (cardboards), or replaced (clays), or reset on pedestals (falling steel). Very good time saver and this match would not run as smooth without this kind of setup. Something tells me alot of forethought went into that aspect of the match since each squad had 10-13 teams with 3 shooters each.

This may also be an important consideration for any other 90rd shotgun stages about to spring up... :)

Thank you Dean and all of the staff for running an awesome match and thank you to the sponsors for helping make this possible. I'm already looking forward to this match next year.

Thank you Dave for videoing Squad 1. Some great videos and gives a good idea of what this match is made of.

Dean,

You and your crew out did yourselves . What a great comeback for a shotgun stage vs shooting in the woods. Would like to give a big HU RAH to the Armalite people for stepping in to take over sponsoring the match and all the other sponsors . It was also great not having to pick steel off the ground on stage 1 . It was also nice to be able to finish the long range (stage 8) without timing out.

Thanks again,

LoneRanger

GB Custom Gun Accessories

• 3 weeks later...

This was our fourth team match at Topton, and this year was by far the best. Dean seems to be able to out do himself each year. Stage one was epic, 90 targets on one stage! I got to shoot more than most on this stage as one of our teams shotgun went down after 10 shots, leaving two of us to clean the other eighty targets. Stage eight, the other all shotgun stage was my favorite. On it's face it looked like a straight forward, no strategy, stage. However there were several subtle strategies that if noticed helped achive a better time.

We can't wait for next year, thanks to Dean and his great staff!