Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ejection distance tell you anything about PF?

Sandbagger123

Please humor me on this one. So i shot a match and looking at the vid the person took i noticed that his brass was ejecting about a foot out the gun. It a STI 2011 Edge. Most of the one i have seen have ejected them 4-6 feet away with major PF ammo as does the 3 I have. This was a not a match that had chronoing. I would like to see people that declare major, really shoot major though.

So does your gun eject them far when using major ammo?

One foot ejection??

It's certainly not PROOF, but it certainly raises a question.

When I first got my TruBor, I was running factory ammo

and had declard Minor at a large match - some people

commented on the 1 foot ejection, so I switched over to

some Major ammo I had - solved the ejection problems,too.

Factors that I can think of:

Recoil spring weight

Mainspring weight

Firing pin stop: square or beveled?

Slide to frame: how tight is it?

The length of the brass can also make a difference. Shoot a 9mm and 38Super/SC at the same PF out of the same pistol and the 38 brass will fly out a lot farther.

Maybe this isn't a factor at major power factors, but at 130 PF my 115 gr minor loads will go farther than my 130 PF, 147 grain minor loads with the same spring.

That's because a lighter bullet at the same power factor makes more energy than a heavier bullet.

I got called out the other day that my gun was shooting too flat (STI Edge) for major Power Factor. Pulled out the chrono a few days later with witnesses and my load was 918 fps for my 180's. (165.240 PF) This is not match ammo, but moly-coated cheap stuff for midweek matches. I'd never try to run that close for a major match, but I also want to keep at least major PF for all my practice so the gun feels roughly the same.

I have also spent a lot of time changing recoil springs, Main spring, tuning the ejector and different bullets, OAL etc. trying to keep my gun as flat as possible.

I don't necessarily think this guy was cheating, but it was an interesting topic to discuss.

it's impossible to tell just from ejection. I'll give you an example. I have a nice 130pf 9mm load with 135gn RN CMJ. in my CZ shadow with light 10lb recoil spring and light hammer spring it ejects about 8 feet to the right. that same round in my 1911 with 12lb recoil spring but 24lb hammer spring ejects almost at my feet, just under 1 foot to the right in a neat little pile. exact same load and it actually achieves higher PF out of the 1911 (higher velocity from that barrel).

my advice is don't worry too much about what others are claiming or doing. if he's fudging PF he'll get caught out sooner or later. as it stands he's only cheating himself (if in fact he is cheating at all).

Not a good indicator. If you're concerned, bring your chrono and call him out.

Are you a match official? or just a concerned shooter?

I don't think you can actually "call someone out" at a sanctioned USPSA match. If there is chronoing, it has to be for everyone.

As BeerBaron said above, we should let it go. There are actually a lot of variables that can cause changes in ejection force, distance, and pattern. The gunsmiths and tinkerers have advice on their sites about changing recoil springs to alter the ejection distance. In my Glock it moved in and out, depending on which spring I had in.

Not a good indicator. If you're concerned, bring your chrono and call him out.

Are you a match official? or just a concerned shooter?

I don't think you can actually "call someone out" at a sanctioned USPSA match. If there is chronoing, it has to be for everyone.

As BeerBaron said above, we should let it go. There are actually a lot of variables that can cause changes in ejection force, distance, and pattern. The gunsmiths and tinkerers have advice on their sites about changing recoil springs to alter the ejection distance. In my Glock it moved in and out, depending on which spring I had in.

Yep.

In my experience different guns eject brass differently when using the same load. Using our minor loads (which made PF at numerous area and sectional matches this year) my son's Glock 35 basically dribbles the brass out. On the other hand his Para P16-40 spits it several feet away.

I was shooting my Glock 20 longslide with a 40 conversion barrel with ammo that makes major out of my STI. I had to cases just clear the ejection port. They weren't even going a foot. Heavy slide and too much recoil spring. Replaced the recoil spring with a 13# much better. I don't think you can always use thatas a gauge.

If ejection distance were an indicator of power factor, would a stovepipe be a non-shot?

I once saw a little Makarov 9x18 (I think) that would sling the brass close to 20 feet from the shooter.

I hate trying to find 9x18 brass, them blowback pistols must have some pretty high slide speeds the way they throw it. AK's are interesting too, everyone I've seen throws it in every direction, including occasional 9 o'clock and everywhere from 1-25'.

• 4 weeks later...

Paying attention to what other shooters are doing can give you helpful information. Worrying about them following the rules is not productive.

If they have to cheat to get ahead that just means they are not focused on improving the areas that will make them a better shooter. They are only hurting themselves.

I've met hundreds and hundreds of great people in this shooting sport. They are the people who make it truly enjoyable.